Incisive Media

Updated September 17, 2014

Tim Weller

Good place to work!

I have been working at Incisive Media

Pros

Entrepreneurial, friendly atmosphere, smart colleagues, good career progression

Cons

Salaries aren't great and prob below market average, different treatment/ perks depending on your manager.

Good place

I worked at Incisive Media

Pros

entrepreneurial, creative, energetic, fast paced

Cons

a lack of resources and manpower

More resources

If I could give 0 stars, I would!

I have been working at Incisive Media

Pros

PTO is pretty good, even in your first year there. The benefits aren't bad either. But that's about it.

Cons

Everything else! No leadership or room for growth.

Terrible place to work - the company is UK based, and they've been taking over the NY office and running everything to the ground. It's also going under, so don't expect a good salary or bonuses for that matter. They do a good job of hiding the fact that the company is a sinking ship that's about to be bought our - everything that comes out of their mouths is pure bs! There is no room for creativity or opinion. You're never heard or supported. There is a reason why there's been a mass exodus in the past several months - since Jan 2014 in particular, 7 people have left. And the NY office is small to begin with (less than 30 people). DO NOT WORK HERE!

keep looking

I worked at Incisive Media

Pros

Opportunities to move around within the company

Cons

Management flip flops and have zero understanding of the industry they are in. Meanwhile the new management micro-manages everything including things beyond her remit.

Invest in your employees and technology.

Meh, keep looking

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Incisive Media

Pros

The hours are good. And if you stroll in late or have to leave early, no one cares b/c they all do it.

Cons

Well, the pay is very bad...especially on the editorial side. I've seen job ads for Incisive/American Lawyer Media saying the pay is "competitive"...it's not. My friends are shocked at how little I make...entry level salaries are the same as what they were in the editorial world in 1995. There's a lot of "dead weight" in the company...people that slack off and just delegate all their work to their subordinates. Upper management likes to believe they're transparent but they're not. The company is completely baffled by the "digital age". Websites are still seen as an after thought while ad sales in the print pubs are plummeting.

Trim the fat...a round of layoffs (the lazy employees that do NOTHING) would help the bottom line. Focus more on web and new media....i.e: hire more people that know something about it. And if you want to keep employees around, pay a living wage...this isn't McDonalds...

Fair to middling

Current Employee - Reviews Editor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Reviews Editor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Incisive Media full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the staff are generally very good at their jobs and good to be around. Pay not too bad for the industry. Decent work-life balance without much overtime requirement.

Cons

Great deal of status-waving alpha male stuff from some managers. Dominated by sales culture to detriment of editorial values. Ageing places of work.

Good for new in the industry, not for long term

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant

I worked at Incisive Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The experience and chance to learn the ropes of publishing and events

Cons

chaotic and full of politics

they should try to work on synergizing every team to work in harmony towards one goal

Good place to start out as a journo but low pay

Former Employee - Journalist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Journalist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Incisive Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with smart people, great for networking and building contacts in the financial industry.

Cons

HR are not human, poor management and generally not very many opportunities to progress as the firm ain't very profitable. Oh... and the pay ain't great either.

Find some new managers.

Incisive Media Response

Oct 8, 2014HR Director

This is not an automated response. Pleased that you found your time with us useful and were able to advance your career with the development and opportunities we provided. When someone starts their ... More

Generally Good but Management needs Improvement

Former Employee - Customer Services in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Services in London, England (UK)

I worked at Incisive Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed Office Culture
    Flexibility in working

Cons

-Senior Management need to be more trusting of their teams and not treat them so patronizingly
    - Better recognition for newbies who have performed outstandingly
    -Some people who have been there 10+ years need to be moved on or moved out, they are stagnating and just waiting to retire, they do not seem to want to grow any more= dead wood
    - Managers need to be more accomodating to the variety of tastes of people, differences need to be celebrated and not shunned

Do not assume everybody wants to drink alcohol at all times while socialising with colleagues after work.
    Focus on moving people and talent into suitable positions- some people are just WAY TOO comfortable!

Good for beginning your career, not so great for career progression

Current Employee - Journalist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Journalist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Incisive Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good with flexible working conditions, great office location, intelligent colleagues, very good environment for a beginning journalist.

Cons

A bit of a 'boys club' in my division - very few senior female employees - from what I've seen, most move on after a few years because they are not recognised or promoted to senior positions compared to the similar level male employees. Compensation should be higher for journalists, compared to the sales side, we are underpaid.

Look closely as to why your female employees always move on to other jobs! Also, I've heard more than one member of staff mention that taking maternity leave is tantamount to effectively demoting oneself...