Incisive Media

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Weller

Fantastic Place to Work

Database Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Incisive Media full-time for more than a year

ProsVery talented people
Promote from within where possible, so great opportunities for first-jobbers through to senior management.
Many different departments and there is scope to move from one to another for career progression.
Wonderfully diverse workforce - please are employed and promoted on their merit alone.
Excellent work/life balance and social life, especially for younger staff.
Forward-thinking company committed to pushing new technology and new ways of delivering products.
Employees are not micro-managed, and are given a lot of responsibility, so it's up to them to fly.
There is a nice culture to the place, staff are treated extremely well compared to most other companies.
Good selection of HR benefits - gym membership, childcare vouchers, that type of thing, plus a reasonably generous pension scheme.
Some opportunities for senior staff to move to New York or Hong Kong offices.

ConsIntra-office communication was difficult when there were two separate offices in London, bu this has now been resolved by consolidating the company to a single, rather super, office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing - Incisive is a great place to work.

If I could give 0 stars, I would!

I have been working at Incisive Media

ProsPTO is pretty good, even in your first year there. The benefits aren't bad either. But that's about it.

ConsEverything else! No leadership or room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerrible place to work - the company is UK based, and they've been taking over the NY office and running everything to the ground. It's also going under, so don't expect a good salary or bonuses for that matter. They do a good job of hiding the fact that the company is a sinking ship that's about to be bought our - everything that comes out of their mouths is pure bs! There is no room for creativity or opinion. You're never heard or supported. There is a reason why there's been a mass exodus in the past several months - since Jan 2014 in particular, 7 people have left. And the NY office is small to begin with (less than 30 people). DO NOT WORK HERE!

keep looking

I worked at Incisive Media

ProsOpportunities to move around within the company

ConsManagement flip flops and have zero understanding of the industry they are in. Meanwhile the new management micro-manages everything including things beyond her remit.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and technology.

Meh, keep looking

New York, NY

I have been working at Incisive Media

ProsThe hours are good. And if you stroll in late or have to leave early, no one cares b/c they all do it.

ConsWell, the pay is very bad...especially on the editorial side. I've seen job ads for Incisive/American Lawyer Media saying the pay is "competitive"...it's not. My friends are shocked at how little I make...entry level salaries are the same as what they were in the editorial world in 1995. There's a lot of "dead weight" in the company...people that slack off and just delegate all their work to their subordinates. Upper management likes to believe they're transparent but they're not. The company is completely baffled by the "digital age". Websites are still seen as an after thought while ad sales in the print pubs are plummeting.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat...a round of layoffs (the lazy employees that do NOTHING) would help the bottom line. Focus more on web and new media....i.e: hire more people that know something about it. And if you want to keep employees around, pay a living wage...this isn't McDonalds...

A horrible place to work

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Incisive Media full-time for more than a year

ProsCommission was the only thing to look forward to and work towards

ConsMajority of senior management were rude, unwelcoming and used foul language on a daily basis.
Miscommunication between departments meant lower level workers were used as scapegoats. (This was also confirmed by the Managing Director himself- that people are used as scapegoats)
Bullying is also overlooked-many members of staff reported a bullying culture and were ignored by HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff who have innovative ideas, be open to change, be kind to people

Great company and culture that over extended itself and looks like being broken up

I worked at Incisive Media full-time

ProsBrilliant, talented people
Location
Social life
International travel
Freedom to make decisions

ConsJobs for the boys at senior mgt level
Mgt inability to make tough decisions about unprofitable products
Made too many bad acquisitions
Senior management very obviously out to protect their investment at the expense of everyone else

Diversity

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Incisive Media full-time for more than a year

ProsMany different departments to chose from, great work life balance, good office location

ConsSome departments are poorly managed and HR is there to do the bear minimum, trying to avoid any problems in magement of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementMore meritocratic handling of staff, again, not in all departments

Good starting point

Senior Reporter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Incisive Media full-time for more than a year

ProsEncouraging managers, freedom to pursue avenues of interest, good training, sociable colleagues, very reasonable hours, relaxed environment and offices around the world. Basically a good place to start your career, I think.

ConsThe pay is not great, the work can get repetitive, editorial incentives are lacking, the co-ordination across different departments (events, marketing, editorial, sales) can be a little haphazard.

Dinosaur

I worked at Incisive Media full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood collegiate culture
Fun environment

ConsPublishing for the dark ages
Naive about the changes in media - until it was too late
Sales led culture

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a vision of a new company you are trying to build
Trim the old school publishing mentality

good starting point for grads

I worked at Incisive Media full-time

Prosgood stepping stone out of university to start as a graduate

Conspoor pay. Certain senior sales roles hit a plateau and no where else to go unless changing division or publication you were on

Worked for Incisive Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Incisive Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Incisive Media CEO Tim Weller. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Incisive Media employees.