Independence Blue Cross

Be The First To
Add Photos

Independence Blue Cross President & CEO Daniel Hilferty

Daniel Hilferty

Pros
  • IBC highly values work life balance and they are committed to creating a supportive corporate environment (in 6 reviews)

• Right in the heart of center city (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems very disconnected (in 5 reviews)

• Emplyee health insurance pricing is OUTRAGEOUS if you want the "good" plans (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people but slow to move leadership. Need to refocus vision

Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPeople are very nice and thoughtful. The atmosphere is great - updated and downtown. There is a strong push to be innovative and IBC has invested a lot in their employees in that way.

ConsA great deal of politics at the senior leadership level. WIth some of the internal projects going on, there is a lot of burnout.

IBC Software Developer

Data Warehouse Developer (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsVery calm environment, great people

ConsCan get boring at times, a little too calm for my taste

Great company to work for

ProsI've worked in three different departments here and while each one was vastly different in how they operated i always felt that even though i was a part of a huge company, my opinion mattered. The CEO rides the elevator with employees and stops to chat with you, they offer on site gym access and nutrition counseling, and various learning experiences. There is great company culture and everyone works as a team across various departments, there's no competition against each other because everyone wants the company to succeed.

Consthere are some employees and managers who do not follow the company culture and can be rude. They are also very strict during the probation period when you're first hired about missing days- they need to be more understanding on this level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far it is pretty good however they have a few management issues i feel should be addressed.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is good. The surrounding area offers pretty good places to eat from. Also the people appear to be friendly and helpful.

ConsThey dont care about their employees. They tell you one thing to get you in the door then do the exact opposite. Also apparently there is NO employee handbook so they basically make things up as they go.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employee handbook needs to be made available on the Iway. Also being as though the systems are slow there should be some type of grace period when coming in. I should not have to get to work early so i can be logged in already at my start time. We are not compensated for that.

IBC Environment

Data Warehouse Developer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe job positions at Independence Blue Cross are solid with. The benefits are comparable to other companies. Management is flexible with working hours

ConsPay is low compared to average salaries. Some times, advancement can be difficult especially for those with limited education. I have seen mice throughout the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training and backing employees

A numbers game dominated by upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsOrientation was detailed and lengthy; it allowed for a person to ease into the job and feel comfortable as soon as possible.
    Benefits: can buy some personal days to add to vacation time/personal time off.
    Discounts available to some businesses
    Lack of available sick days improves one's health and encourages speedy recovery.

ConsSome received no bonus nor raise in the past year. However, not everyone who worked there was as unlucky as I:
    The higher the base income, the higher percentage bonus they got.,( if qualified for bonus..
    Extremely bureaucratic with little bottom- up discussion allowed. or encouraged.
    Very little room for advancement or movement in the company.
    Company ARA-run cafeteria was refurbished but still lacks enough value for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees. Allow dissent, encourage feedback, look for innovative ideas, allow consideration of new information and novel "outside-the-box" thinking.
    Stop paying for those lame slogans that get changed a couple of times/year.
    Flatten layers so there is a higher proportion of worker bees to bosses.

Can be good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of discounts for working there

ConsThere is room for growth but it's by who you know

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people that actually do the work and cut out the politics

Great for my first job

ProsLots of experience. I'm happy

Conshmmmmmmm stil figuring it out

Position started as a Career move, turned out to become just a simple job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat starter Company for recent college grads for the resume.

ConsThey do not promote within. Upper Management is harsh and controlling. Not a Company to look for a Career, very disorganized and lack skill set diversity. Culture and Values are very questionable.....

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from your easy button, and remove the harsh old school upper management that is afraid that outsiders may have more diversity to the current market.

The Roman Senate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsBold senior leadership in a difficult industry. The benefits are a little better than the average large company in the Philadelphia area. The center city location is easily accessible from a variety of locations.

ConsSo many things to say ... I've been working there for 16 years. Good reviews, amassed my credentials and accolades... no good. Our org structure is an inverted pyramid of top-heavy management. The senior brass vies for control and relevance, our middle management hates each other and waits for the moment to undo each other. The remaining worker bees (FTEs) struggle amidst multiple layoffs to address triple the workload for less than inflation come review time. We routinely train the newer generation, the new contractors, and the off-shored staff in how to do our jobs. One by one, we succumb to the stress: health reasons, or practical reasons. If any new hires have a survival formula they would like to share, please do. I have abandoned hope.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises that you can't keep with resources that you don't have.

Worked for Independence Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!