Independence Blue Cross

Be The First To
Add Photos

Independence Blue Cross President & CEO Daniel Hilferty

Daniel Hilferty

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance and amenities, relaxed culture, working in downtown Philly"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good pay, center city location, reasonable working hours"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Emplyee health insurance pricing is OUTRAGEOUS if you want the "good" plans"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Upper management seems very disconnected"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

QA Lead/Manager

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross

ProsGood Place to work in PHL downtown

ConsThe bussiness still behaves in a very feudal manner

Good Company to work for but outsourcing has changed all that.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYearly bonus for all associates, free gym membership. IBC University offers many courses online
and classroom.

ConsTo many changes in leadership, watching good people resign.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the talented people that have been loyal to the company, instead of trying to save a buck.

Contractor at IBC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Independence Blue Cross as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIBC is downtown Philadelphia and is convenient if you live downtown. Very easy to find good lunch as they are on the 1900 block of Market Street. The building is VERY cold on really cold days. There is a nice cafeteria but the food that is sold by Aramark is not very good and expensive.

ConsAs a contractor there is no paid time off and if the office is closed you will not be paid. There seems to be a lack of respect and caring about contractors. You are made to feel like you don't really belong. No matter what your job is, you will be asked to do the teams grunt work. Basically a PM making copies and taking meeting notes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have an employee who can't seem to keep staff, maybe you should look into it. There is probably a reason why the person can't seem to keep people working on their team.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking dowtown is fun and exciting. Building at 1900 Market is beautiful and offers a great gym and cafeteria. For the most part the middle management tries to maintain work-life balance for associates. I have a really great boss.

ConsUpper management seems very disconnected. When I was converted from contractor to permanent I was forced to take a 1$4K per year pay cut. When I explained that I didn't think I could live off of $1,300 per month pay cut after taxes I was told that was my market value. I made the same amount in my first job 6 years prior. As an individual customer I paid less premuims than I do as an Associate with the same exact plan (IBC Personal Choice). IBC was recently not named as a top 25 place to work in Philadelphia per philly.com. Others may have had a positive experience but I have not. Certain departments have hands in every other departments projects and continually bottle neck or rail road projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter connect yourselves to associates below you and buy in to company initiatives. Senior level leadership is well know for being apathetic towards company programs and initivatives.

IBX Rocks!

Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, great people, corporate social responsibility/ citizenship at its best, and ever-changing industry. Right in the heart of center city. Great mentorship and training.

ConsPolitics and keeping up with ACA policies...and reputation among consumers when premiums go up. This can be quite scary!

Advice to Senior ManagementShould consider implementing rotational programs... and programs that is tailored towards young professionals.

OK

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross

ProsYou can make good money.

ConsKick you out when they are done with you.

It was a good experience there and I learned different office automations and insurance knowledge with my thirteen years

Fulfillment Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was a very professional working atmosphere in that we understood that we do a days work for a days pay and as a team we just get the job done in a timely manner and got rewarded for it.

ConsThe only challenge that really wasn't a challenge was that when we needed more supplies to do our job the company didn't have enough stock at times to supply us with what we needed to finish our tasks. It didn't happen often but enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would just like upper management to get more involved as far as letting workers know that you care and come to some if not all departments within the company and tell your worker that you do a good job and if moral is low find ways to keep moral up.

Great working environment

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Prospersonal growth, training opportunities, culture health benefits

Conssalary/compensation is below average. work/life balance titled more towards work

Advice to Senior ManagementShould look for real talent and then ensure talent gets paid according to market to retain that talent,

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Learning you are just a employee id number.

Senior Claims Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMade some really great friendships

ConsNo room for advance within company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management should be on the same page.

Working at Blue Cross has been a great experience.

I have been working at Independence Blue Cross full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBlue Cross offer Great Benefits.

ConsThere are really no cons.

Worked for Independence Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Independence Blue Cross reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Independence Blue Cross CEO Daniel Hilferty. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Independence Blue Cross employees.