Independent Bank (MI)

Independent Bank (MI) Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Independent Bank (MI) President, CEO, and Director Michael M. Magee Jr.

Michael M. Magee Jr.

Good Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed working for Independent Bank. My immediate boss was understanding and a great manager. The pay was decent and benefits were good.

ConsI know when I was there there was no tuition reimbursement. That would have been nice to have in order to advance more

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was laid off due to reorganizing the structure of the company, I did feel the meeting with HR was a little cold, slightly rushed

Advanced Planning in IT minimal

IT Management (Former Employee) Ionia, MI

ProsThere were many good people who worked here but the only reason things didn't fall apart on a daily, instead of weekly/monthly basis is because of constant heroics by the team.

ConsThere seems to be no strategic planning in the IT area. It's all one fire drill after another.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and start handling more IT related tasks internally. Start enforcing change control and maintenance windows.

IT is not indicative of how the whole company operates.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Ionia, MI

ProsThere are some great people who work for the company and I've always been impressed in my dealings with the new CEO. They also are willing to put a lot of money into ensuring their IT systems are top of the line.

ConsAlthough they are willing to spend on IT systems they are not willing to spend on more IT personnel which is the real need. Most companies their size have an IT staff of double what they have. IT also needs to implement maintenance schedules, testing systems, and change management to keep systems from going down so frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease IT staff, bringing in thoughts and ideas on how things are run at other locations and listen to their suggestions and opinions. Stop spending so much on new technological solutions and try to make better use of the solutions you do have. Invest in training the talent you currently have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High pay but way to much stress.

Teller (Current Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsAs a teller I made more then any other teller i knew at other banks. I made 3.00 more an hour then the 2nd highest paying bank. Lots of over-time.

Conscomputers always down. Open 7 days a week from 7:30 am till 8:00 pm m-f saturday and sunday 8 am- 6 pm... Long days because you only get on brake and its your lunch. Your shifts are 9 hrs a day and with a hour lunch its 10 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees.

Great People in a struggling company

Teller (Current Employee) Ionia, MI

ProsGreat customer service philosophy. Good bank products. Selling is not pushed on customers, and instead is focused on cross-selling technique. Friendly Michigan-local bank.

ConsCurrent salary freeze in company (as of fall 2010). Bank is not currently growing so not many opportunities for new hires or promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to work on rewarding good employees.

great experience

Teller (Former Employee)

Pros-Great chance for promotion.
    -Ability to meet and work with great people
    -Never a dull atmosphere, new and exciting people every day

Cons-High level of responsibility
    -Occasionally have to work on the weekends
    -Must possess strong ability to maintain a cash drawer

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat leadership all the way from the branch level to senior management level. I feel they do a great job of providing leadership for the company.

Good company

ProsIt is a great company to work for. Lots of benefits and leave time available. You will have a lot of fun working here

ConsLess the ordinary pay scale. Very few management postions that are available to the employees. There is a little bit of improvement in the past 2 months.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it fun, easy and enjoyable to work. having a better career management plan will really help employees feel motivated

Worked for Independent Bank (MI)? Contribute to the Community!