Independent Capital Management

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
4.3

Drew Marloe

ICM fits me like a glove

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only limitations are those you put upon yourself; teamwork is great in the Torrance, CA office but you operate your own business: seeing whom you what and what you offer is not dictated by quotas but by what the client wants and needs. The company does not have its own products so you are able to recommend a wide array of services including investments, life insurance, and estate planning

Cons

Because I didn't have a sales background, the training program seemed confusing and rigid at first.

Some managers could do a better job of giving prospects and newer employees a more realistic picture. Most people will not succeed because it takes hard work, confidence, and self direction.

not for everyone

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

the office environment was great. met a lot of really great people. managers are very supportive and helpful.

Cons

they have 2 pay routes. one is commission only and the other is a base salary of peanuts with commissions sliced in half. most people work on commission only. if you don't already have a client base somewhat established for yourself, it is very difficult to make enough money in the early months to be able to sustain a living. unless you have a lot of money saved up to float you or someone supporting you financially, it is very hard to get off the ground in the beginning. very high turnover.

management in general is very helpful but the low pay killed me

waste of time,

I worked at Independent Capital Management

Pros

supposed "unlimited earning potential".
    flexible hours

Cons

you get paid with air for the first two months when you go through their "training". Then you drop $395 on the exams/licensures. If you pass then you start calling up all your friends and family and hitting them up for $$.

Include a decent base and pay for the training and licensures and then maybe you won't come off as being so shady.

Sep 2, 2014President

We provide a salary option for those that prefer a steady income rather than unlimited earnings. It is a decent base salary but we are not permitted to pay an advisor long term if they are not ... More

This is the perfect company to begin a financial career.

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Continuous training, learning at your own speed, management support, positive environment, and growth.

Cons

If you are not self driven you may not be able to handle the pressure of finding your own clients and setting appointments throughout each week.

Independent Capital Management - Torrance

Current Employee - Financial Services Specialist in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. The management team are seasoned veterans helping the advisers in the office grow their practice. We have the flexibility to offer our clients a wide variety of services and products. We are not required or incentivized to pitch a particular company or product. We have a friendly group in our office that support each other.

Cons

It is overall a tough industry, we work hard.

A great work environment.

Thank you!

Great place to learn the industry

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time

Pros

The is the perfect place to get started in the business. The training and support you get from day one is outstanding. Coworkers and the work environment are second to none.

Cons

This business is hard work. Not your typical 9-5

Keep up the good work

Good place to get into financial services field

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Independent Capital Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, helping others with financial status and long term planning

Cons

Starting up can be challenging since business model is based on referrals

Help new consultants get a better start building their practice

ICM - Torrance Office

Current Employee - Financial Services Specialist in Torrance, CA

Pros

Great hands on training, Great leadership from office OSJ Tina. ICM Torrance office is the best office to work in by far. Great support from other senior reps. New reps are treated with respect and trained truly how to be a financial advisor. If you want to help people and learn to right way to be a financial advisor this is the office you want to work in by far.

Cons

We should market ourselves more as a company and let the general public know all the good things we do. Why do we have a marketing guy if we don't do any marketing

No more holiday parties in January. All holiday parties should be in December

Sep 5, 2014President

We have our year end party for all employees to recognize our top performers. It is more of an "Awards Celebration" than a holiday party. Most of our offices have holiday parties that are for all ... More

Great place to develop a long-term career

Current Employee - Supervisor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

I have worked here for about two years and have had a wonderful experience. ICM has a very team oriented atmosphere which I enjoy. Everyone who is successful here is very self motivated and ambitious which brings a great energy to the office.

The opportunity for growth is there as quickly as you want to earn it, whether it is by being a manager and having your own team or simply by being an advisor and expanding your book of business. You truly get out what you put into your career here.

In terms of receiving help with your clients and advancing your career, the management team will match your efforts. If you are working hard, the management team will spend more time with you. If you aren't putting in the effort, you shouldn't expect a manager to step in and fix everything for you, especially if you aren't applying what you have already been taught.

Also, the flexibility of creating your own schedule is a huge plus, especially for someone who enjoys vacationing.

Cons

You have to be willing to work hard and put in the time in order to be successful in this industry. This is definitely not the right fit for someone who just wants to sit behind a desk 9-5 every day and get paid a salary for doing the bare minimum. You will work late on some evenings and weekends but the trade off is the flexibility to create your own schedule.

Keep doing a great job!

Sep 5, 2014President

More training would be nice.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time

Pros

You get your insurance license, your series 6 and your series 63. This is more than some companies will help you acquire. This is also less than other companies require for you to get hired. This positions you to move into the insurance industry very well but makes changing jobs in the securities industry difficult.
    You have great autonomy.
    The people in the office are great.

Cons

The managers are busy with their own clients and have to choose between helping new hires or helping themselves.
    ICM-BH expects you to open business on your first appointment with a client which can hurt credibility.
    The script is the law. If you aren't doing well they are going to 'help' you by practicing the script with you.

Develop a client acquisition model that is based on more than JUST referrals.

Sep 5, 2014President

Many of our advisors use seminars and trade shows to add to their referrals. We provide "turn-key" marketing programs in addition to referrals. Referrals are best because they want to see an ... More

Independent Capital Management Photos