Independent Capital Management Reviews

4.4
Independent Capital Management President and CEO Drew Marloe
Drew Marloe

1. Featured Review

One of the most flexible finance positions I have held to date

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The schedule revolves around you and your work ethic. You are given all the training and tools to succeed and pass your securities and insurance examinations. ICM has weekly training sessions and works with many companies that update us frequently. The pace is up to you. Hard work ethic leads to promotions and I have seen coworkers rise to supervisor level within a year. ICM understands that as a Financial Advisor you must tailor to the needs of the clients objectives, and time schedule. Aside from mandatory training, you have the flexibility to meet with clients throughout the week and are encouraged to build a genuine relationship with the client. ICM doesn't have to sell any specific product which makes you truly create a custom plan for each client.

Cons

The start at this company will not be easy. You are expected to pay for your own licensing fees. The company does not offer you a salary, but rather has an elaborate bonus structure to compensate you as you begin building up your commission. The bonuses include compensation for passing your examinations as well as weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly bonuses, so the incentive to work hard is here. It is designed to offer the position to those determined to make it in this industry. The commission rate is generous, however, the starting weeks and maybe month(s) in the field will be difficult. Because ICM does not cold call, ICM will expect you to have connections that you hope to bring into the firm, and expects you to build your practice on your ability to obtain referrals. ICM is independent and chooses which companies to do business with. Be prepared to know the competition and the latest products on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

We've grown large enough to consider advertising our company. We have a great team and competitive products. ICM is a hidden gem.

2. Branch Manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager/OSJ in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager/OSJ in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

Great company, that has a clear management development program and the flexibility to do what is right for their clients.

Cons

It takes time to develop your market and grow your contacts thru referrals and business to business marketing.

Advice to Management

Simplify compensation and bonuses.

3. Great Place to work Independently

I worked at Independent Capital Management

Pros

You can work with multiple products .

Cons

Getting paid commissions takes a while

Excellent opportunity to grow a business and become independent!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

ICM has an excellent business model of being independent. Being non-proprietary allows you to truly offer what is in the best interest of the client. In addition, the relationships you build with your clients are very rewarding. I have been with the company for 8 years now and have grown professionally and personally in ways you can not working for someone else. The Torrance office of ICM has an excellent manager who has made my career go to the next level!

Cons

You must have the mindset of being an entrepreneur. It takes grit, determination, and perseverance!

This an excellent company to learn to true meaning of "the client's needs come first".

Current Employee - Registered Representative
    Current Employee - Registered Representative

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

Great company to begin and finish your career and to learn fundamentals of financial planning.

Cons

They hire too many non entrepreneurial minded people.

Advice to Management

More diversification of hires and improve standard operating procedures in branches.

Commission only, 1099

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Independent Capital Management

Pros

Independent work, flexible hours, ok co-workers, professional,

Cons

No paid training, strictly commission, 1099(you pay your own taxes), little benefits

Advice to Management

If you want loyal employees, then you need to invest in them by paying them a base salary.

Rewarding career that you can do for many years!

Current Employee - Rep in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Rep in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

ICM is a great place to start a financial services career. Great training and management team. Helping people with their financial concerns is quite rewarding. After a few years of hard work, you can set your own hours and actually run an errand on the weekday. As long as you do exactly what your manager says, you have an excellent chance to succeed.

Cons

Hard work and clients that don't listen to you.

Rewarding work experience!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA

Pros

What I like most about ICM is that they offer you a career. Many people switch jobs a few times in their working career, but many employees have been here since they graduated college. I personally expect to be here long-term and continue to build my book of business. Here at ICM, your success is directly correlated to the amount of work you put in. In that sense, you get to decide how successful you are. As you can imagine, there is a lot of growth potential and there is no limit to what you can be earning! This is not your typical 9-5 job. Your hours are flexible so it's important to have self-motivation. On the bright side, you don't have to worry about conflicts in scheduling visits to the doctor or unexpected events that may come up. There are weekly meetings run by the management team to keep you up to date with changes in the financial industry so you are constantly learning new things and building upon your wealth of knowledge! Last but not least, AMAZING office environment. Everyone works extremely hard but are also very friendly and there to help you if you need it. There is a great sense of teamwork that drives everyone to excel individually.

Cons

Sometimes, it gets a bit chilly in the office but it keeps you awake!

Great work environment all around!

I have been working at Independent Capital Management

Pros

ICM has a great training program! The training is very hands on and they really prepare you to succeed in your career. They provide you with all the tools and knowledge you need to excel and help clients. There is a lot of growth potential in this company. The harder you work the faster you can get promoted and move up within the company. The company doesn't hire outside managers, so you can only get promoted from within. Overall the company is a great one to work with. I feel like I'm a valued employee. It's small so I can get one on one time with my manager if necessary and if I need help I know someone will be there to assist me.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business you may have to meet with clients outside of the 9-5 time frame and sometimes on weekends. Traveling outside of the office to hold client meetings is also common.

Great Professional Opportunity

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

I believe that if you are an outgoing professional who is self-motivated this is a great place to continue a career. The management staff is extremely helpful, supportive and most importantly available to new hires.

Cons

As with any other commission based job, it's a considerable time investment for not as much return in the beginning but, this is temporary.

Advice to Management

Quicker health care and 401k options.

Independent Capital Management Response

Jan 16, 2015 – President

Our health care coverage eligibility is based on completing thirty (30) days of continued full-time employment and we match 25% on 401(k) contributions with two (2) entry dates per year. Eligibility ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed