Independent Purchasing Cooperative

Jan Risi

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Miami, FL

I have been working at Independent Purchasing Cooperative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A postitive impact to Franchises lives every day.

Cons

I really don't have any thing bad to say about IPC.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Awesome Place to develop Skills

Former Employee - IT Eng  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - IT Eng in Miami, FL

I worked at Independent Purchasing Cooperative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to Learn and polish IT knowledge

Cons

You have to wear a tie and no casual attire

Stop Changing methodologies constantly for dev teams and Infrastructure teams, get rid of uses less employyes

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Miami, FL

I have been working at Independent Purchasing Cooperative full-time for less than a year

Pros

The management was open to process improvement and the implementation of new software as necessary for improving business. The overall environment offered opportunities for growth.

Cons

Not many Con's that I recall. The work environment was undergoing process improvement so perhaps the work environment was a bit unstable while undergoing restructuring. Otherwise, the forecast of stability was pretty good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great environment

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Miami, FL

Pros

new ideas are valued
    we are encouraged to try new things and allowed to fail
    we have the small company feel with big company resources, you have what you need to complete your job.

Cons

there is nothing that is a con at IPC. I believe the work environment is utopia when compared with other places.

continue doing what you are doing and being a fierce defender of the IPC culture.

Great Work Atmosphere but they don't pay well.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Independent Purchasing Cooperative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AGILE environment, Annual Bonuses, Great fully paid benefits package, friendly outgoing employees from the CEO down.

Cons

Non-Profit Cooperative, Subway(r) negative influence affects work, Board of Directors very stingy with wages.

Start paying your employees what they are worth or you will find you have no employees left when the economy improves.

Great Perks - Low Pay

Former Employee - IT Related Job  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - IT Related Job in Miami, FL

I worked at Independent Purchasing Cooperative full-time

Pros

The corporate attitude lends itself to social interaction between all departments without significantly compromising productivity. The people tend to be upbeat and friendly with good career skills. Annual bonus and matching 401 K with fully paid benefits is a definite perk.

Cons

Below average wage, poor training and limited executive support for career development. HR seems to be more interested in building management and ice cream socials than individual career development and training.

Lose the ties for men. A professional atmosphere no longer requires a tie. Business attire without the tie would do much to improve employee moral and enthusiasm. Flex hours for IT and other non-directly business related personnel would likely improve productivity.

Executives out of touch with IT and heavy into micro managing

Former Employee - Development Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Independent Purchasing Cooperative

Pros

There are people at IPC who are looking for a better place and will find it once economy improves since they are very smart and underpaid.
    There are some very nice people too.

Cons

Executive trio does not now or care about IT and the huge benefit they can have from a successful IT group. The execs would rather punish people who do not wear a tie or come wearing sneakers and punish people for coming in late because traffic is horrible in the morning.
    There is no room for advancement and they think they pay good but the truth is the pay is not good. The software companies pay much better and have similar benefits. If you want a place you can just do little work and retire without advancing then this is a place for you.

Management would not listen to advice. They think they are doing great even though they are losing good talent. I have heard more top talent has left in the year I have been away and there are more looking becuase management would rather micromanage you than really see you do well.

Old fashion corporate culture where one can go to retire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Independent Purchasing Cooperative

Pros

Free chips and soda and you even get some free subway subs every Tuesday and Friday. People are friendly and a lot of them are good at their jobs.

Cons

The executives believe the work place is more professional if everyone is wearing a tie every day even though the majority of the employees complain about having to wear a tie. The executives rarely work with groups within the company, yet make the decisions on how much of a raise/bonus each individual gets. Like any company with a large number of employees, you can find individuals that barely get any work accomplished and coast from year to year waiting for retirement.
    Some people travel often and the company doesn't provide corporate credit cards so the individuals have to pay up front for all their expenses. Even if this company were in a better climate the culture is stagnant and there is no room for growth.
    Company also enables the franchiser to fail so the company can then take on more business. Rather than do things correctly from the beginning it would rather wait for initiatives to fail so it can then prosper.

Corporate America is no longer going to work in suits. Stop enabling poor decision making and preying on others mistakes, take initiative to do things correctly from the beginning and make success a higher priority.
    Pay attention to what the people in the trenches are doing and get in touch with your employees.

Old School with limited opportunities and career shelf life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Independent Purchasing Cooperative

Pros

Some senior managers are very competent and supportive of employees
    A number of passionate and capable individuals
    Free soda and chips

Cons

Some upper management have no clue what it takes to perform the day to day jobs.
    Dress code means men must wear long sleeve shirts and ties in MIAMI.
    There is no room for growth.
    Company does not have long term growth plans.
    Location of offices is terrible.

Long term company vision needs to be established and communicated to employees.
    Profit sharing or some method of compensation should be established for employee retention.
    Relax the dress code and learn what industry standards are for the area and professions.

Work Fresh!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Independent Purchasing Cooperative

Pros

The company has, by far, the most profession, dedicated, and intelligent group of people working for them. The people were not only wonderful, but the projects I was able to work on were both fun and rewarded experiences as well.

Cons

My only problem with this company is that I am not working with them still. On a serious note, the company is still small and will require you to wear many hats throughout the day. This was not a negative aspect to me, but to some it may be.

I think the best thing that the IPC could do is open another branch outside of Miami. It's too hot there for me, and I would love to work on the west coast. I'm thinking San Diego.

Worked for Independent Purchasing Cooperative? Contribute to the Community!