Indiana Department of Correction

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Edwin G. Buss

Left hand, right hand disconnect

Community Corrections Coordinator (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIt's difficult to get fired from state employment so if you're looking for a place to get a paycheck and possibly advance, employment at a state agency is probably for you.

ConsThe communication between higher management and the staff at ground level is poor. It would help if higher management included lower level staff at occasional meetings where decisions were being made so input could be offered. The "ivory tower" approach to running any large organization usually results in inefficiency and a waste of tax dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementGather input from the folks at ground level before making decisions on policy and procedure. When you don't, you end up with a disconnect that results in time and resources not being used efficiently.

Paid the Bills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Michigan City, IN

ProsBenefits were good in the beginning and have decreased over the years.

ConsNot paid enough for having to put your life in danger everyday....

Advice to Senior ManagementMan up and do what is right and support your staff

job review

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Pendleton, IN

Prosgreat place to work with decent pay, decent hours & usually plenty of overtime if you want it

Constoo many people looking to advance at the cost of others, bad mannagement, favoritism, good employees get chased from the facility, but the biggest is no backing from the facility superintendant, asst superintendant, several of the lieutenants & counselors who choose to believe offenders over staff members

Advice to Senior Managementget a backbone & back your staff

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dept of Correction - Know The Facts Before You Work Here

Case Manager (Current Employee) Westville, IN

ProsThe Indiana Department of Correction enjoys the benefits that all state employees have, which improve with the longevity of your employment. There are several career paths within this department, but often promotions go to those who "play the game" rather than those who deserve it.

ConsLots of favoritism, inconsistent supervisors, poor performance evaluation systems. Stress is a natural part of any correctional facility and there is danger involved with many jobs. However, often the fact that supervisors tend to pick and choose their friends for promotional opportunities is a greater sense of stress than the actual dangers inherent in the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to visit each facility. Don't just listen to superintendents - listen to the majority of the people who work at the facility. There are several instances of jobs being given to less qualified people just because they are friends with hiring managers. Within my facility alone this has happened at least three times in the past year. It is also time to take a very serious look at salaries. No, money is not a motivator for long - but our jobs deserve more than we get in return. It is grossly unfair when we risk our lives for the pittance we see on our paycheck.

Worked for Indiana Department of Correction? Contribute to the Community!