Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

J. Jerry Canada

Great work environment, sub par training.

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary, company car, benefits. Company respects employees work/life balance.

ConsNo training program. Antiquated systems. High expectation with only 3 months experience. Farm policies are especially confusing and even the management is not sure how they should be interpreted. No real claims handling guideline, which makes consistency unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in clams training. Promote consistency across the board (and not on a case by case basis). Reward the good employees and ewes out the dead weight.

Employee Agent

Employee Agent (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsNo start up cost, office provided for you.

ConsBenefits are horrible, too high to afford. Given very little support, even though they say they are there to support you.

Promises made by Managers are not kept.

Agent (Former Employee)

ProsFree Office CSR's Supplies computers phone system

ConsThey rely to heavily on Life insurance. Their rates on P&C are too high and they don't care about clients that had been with them for 20+ years.They are losing more clients then they are gaining.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your managers more accountable for themselves and the way they conduct themselves.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gave a lot of time and years to Farm Bureau and I have a bad taste in my mouth for them.

Field Claims Representative (Former Employee) New Albany, IN

ProsCompany car and benefits, good people in local offices

ConsTotal and complete disconnect between management and employees in that company

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat people that do the daily 'dirty work'

Good place for some

ProsThere are some really great people who work here in all parts of the business.

ConsCulture is pretty stagnant. Technology does not move forward very quickly. Very conservative company which could be a great pro for some.

unorganized company that uses ancient technology

ProsI liked the majority of the people I worked with and my co-workers were very helpful. Most people were genuine and the benefits package was decent.

ConsWay too many computer programs; Payment entry system is an out of date, obsolete program similar to DOS (1970's). Management communicates poorly and is opposed to change. The company is VERY unorganized and lacks proper training for their employees.

Advice to Senior Managementmore employee training; better communication; more organization; improve technology. Change is necessary to grow.

Agent

Employee Agent (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsEasy job if you are willing to meet new people and continue to work the phones.

ConsBeing a Direct Writer makes it difficult if market pricing changes. You get a book a business that has been picked over by multiple agents and often deal with customers saying you are my new agent and I wonder how long you will last.

corporate environment

Payment Consultant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosa lot of people have tenure

Consstrict policies corporate policies to follow

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good solid place to work in an agency system

Insurance Agent (Current Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsWell priced on p&c products. The company provides CSRs that are well trained.

ConsLife products are a little high. Can only really produce on premier products but have to go to company hired specialist for any higher risk policies. There is a rift between company employed CSRs and independent/commissioned agents.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive agents more freedoms to insure without having to write thru rural because it is a hindrance to thru rural

Horrible Managers Allowed to Run Amok!

Policy Support Representative (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsYou can make some really great friends at Indiana Farm Bureau, and the pay is decent, depending on what department you're in.

ConsSome of the managers at this company are downright horrible bosses, and horrible people. The director, department manager, and team leaders of the Policy Support department are the worst if the bunch. These people allow things to go on that the company could be fined heavily for. For instance, they do not enforce adherence to state regulations as far as insurance laws go, nor do they adhere to their agreements with ISO's contracts. IFBI is only licensed to write and retain business (Personal Lines) in the State of Indiana, yet they allow people who have clearly moved out of state to retain their business, especially if the agents in the county office coach them on how to lie to be able retain said business (i.e. "I'm only temporarily out of state." Or "I retain a Florida address and driver's license, because I'm a snow bird."). Also, certain ISO homeowner's contracts require certain limits be met, else a different contract must be used; however the agents and CSRs in the county offices do not follow the guidelines, and no-one else makes them either. Also, they play favorites with their farm customers (or customers who pretend to own a farm), by giving them a "Farm" rate on ALL of their vehicles, which is IFBI's lowest rate (lower than "Pleasure" rates). Granted, the rules state that to be placed under a "Farm" rate, the vehicle must be used "PRIMARILY in the farming process;" however, I have seen everything from brand new Cadillacs to to Mustangs, to Corvettes, to Mercedes all placed under "Farm" rates. When brought to management's attention, it was requested that we require the agents/CSRs to provide a statement that the vehicle IS used in the farming process, but the agents for furious about having to do this, since they had already promised the rate to the insured. After less than a month, the agents complained to corporate, and we were told to allow the "Farm" rate on any account the agent wrote it on. I have even seen the company grant a "Farm" rate for vehicles of other family members, who didn't live directly in the farm, just because their home was insured under someone else's Rural Guardian policy. Management in this department also expects so much work to be pumped out by the reps in the department, that major corners are cut, including ensuring that proper rates are set. Agents and CSRs very often make major mistakes in rating these policies, but the reps in the Policy Support dept are too pressed for time to catch them, and people often pay more or less than they really should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to investigate the goings on in the Personal Lines Underwriting and Policy Support departments. Those departments are a major mess as far as ratings go! Also, try listening to your employees when they say something is wrong, before it gets way out of hand.

Worked for Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance? Contribute to the Community!