Indiana State University

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people who want to make a difference in the lives of students. Small size of school provides many opportunities for cross team work.

ConsLow payscale. Some facilities in desperate need of updating. Some faculty mired in the past and slow to change.

Worked as a student and an employee for 6 years.

ProsThe people here are extremely friendly.

ConsPay for jobs is less than most other institutions.

Former Faculty

Associate Professor (Former Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsSmall town, class sizes are not overwhelming

ConsHorrible pay; lot of sniping among faculty; Administration prefers to build their ranks and practically freeze faculty on pay and promotion opportunities; adjunct faculty and those who provide services (e.g., secretaries, grounds, etc.) barely earn above minimum wage. It is an embarrassment!

Advice to Senior Managementshared governance is a good thing; increase faculty pay and you will keep good faculty members which will ease the low morale among employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Assistant at Indiana State University

ProsPretty good place when you are in the education industry. People here are warm and make you feel at home. A small but growing university touted to be among the best in the mid west.

ConsCould do more with the marketing of the university brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do best. Time to up the ante and raise the bar.

Enjoyable work atmosphere

Technology (Current Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsGreat reduction in cost to attend classes for staff and their family members

ConsDepartments sometimes do not work well together

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, communication, communication

Great place to work and be able to do homework.

Information Desk Assistant (Former Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsHaving a student job is really convenient since you never have scheduling conflicts with classes and you can do homework while you work at many jobs.

ConsIndiana State doesn't pay their full time staff very well or give them the credit they deserve so it can make the working environment unpleasant sometimes. You can have some unhappy people in the departments and they often will blame you for everything when something happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I loved my manager. She was the sweetest and nicest person ever.

Student Employee

Student Employee (Current Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsGreat work place, had a very easy going attitude and worked with my schedule.

ConsVery few problems with this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to hire some of us recent grads!

Moving forward

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsA lot of action towards improving processes and making things easier for students/improving student experience and making things easier for customers overall. Management was fair and provided a lot of opportunities for learning and growth. I saw numerous changes for the better in the short 2 years I was there as a student employee.

ConsTime not always used effectively; employees gossiping a lot about one another; bureaucratic processes make a lot of hoops to jump through to get things approved; different offices do not understand how the others work, therefore a lot of customers are transferred over and over to different offices without getting their simple problems solved, creating decreased efficiency.

Not my favorite work experience

Associate Professor (Former Employee) Terre Haute, IN

ProsStudents are genuinely interested in the subjuct area. Terre Haute is fine place to live.

ConsLOTS of backstabbing. Very low pay for faculty and support staff. However, they keep adding extra levels of administration. Pay raises are dismal. Many professors have been around for 30+ years and do not always keep current with their field. Lots of favoritism. I was a professor and kept my head down and a smile on my face. I got along well but I saw way too many egos that had no reason to be so proud of themselves. Also, I was ashamed at hot support staff was treated and compensated. Many could go work fast food and earn more.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit growing yourselves and grow faculty and staff. You need to question why young innovtive faculty rarely come to ISU or, if they do, do not stay. Quit trying to bring in students just for the numbers. I saw way too many nice young kids from the inner-city who were not college ready. Mentor them, geat them the remediation they need and then enroll them. It was a very sad situation.

Decent School

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice campus
    Nice people
    Good for teaching and nursing

ConsNot so good for Comm majors
    No opportunities for Immersive Learning
    Not a lot of student involvement

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Indiana State University? Contribute to the Community!