Indiana University Foundation

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daniel C. Smith

IU Foundation is a very enriching place that has an atmosphere of legacy attached to it.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is a great way to stay connected to philanthropy towards all thing pertaining to IU.

ConsDepending on the social versatility of the individual, IU Foundation may be a tough transition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll branches of IU Foundation should be more transparent with one another. Especially with those in the student category.

An Ideal Place to Work

Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's more or less a typical 8-5 office job, but the people are nice, the management is very good, the facility is in good shape, and they treat their employees well. They also like to promote from within the company, so there can be the potential for some advancement opportunities if you play your cards right. IU Foundation also has a very warm and welcoming company culture, and I haven't witnessed any of the ugly office politics that you tend to see in some corporate office environments. Judging from my experience, if you work hard and do a good job, then you'll be treated well and appreciated. One couldn't ask for a whole lot more.

ConsI really don't have too many complaints. I suppose the pay could be a little better, but let's face it: you're not going to get rich working at a non-profit organization. Also, things tend to move a little slowly sometimes, but there's a big difference between moving slowly and not at all. Progress is progress, even if it does sometimes take a little longer than it should.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is pretty good as it is. Keep doing the great job that you're already doing, and don't fix what isn't broken.

Great Job with Great People

Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation part-time for less than a year

ProsLoved the flexibility they offered with my ever changing busy schedule. In addition they really try to reward the people who are working hard and offer bonuses and incentives to employees who put in the effort.

ConsJob can get a little monotonous at times and you have to deal with rude people ever now and then.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it, it teaches great sales technique

Caller (Current Employee)

ProsThe bonuses are great and achievable.

ConsSome shifts prospects may not answer the phone

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, the management and new hiring staff have done well.

Very fun, Limited advancement,

ProsLots of breaks, opportunity to make $9.50 with bonuses

Consthree shift minimums, supervisors are mean and unethical

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fun people if you advertise a fun environment.

A wonderful place to learn and grow in a supportive environment.

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation

ProsIndiana University Foundation has a wonderful work-life balance. The organization understands how to support their employees. There is also a great network among employees to create an open and encouraging work environment.

ConsThe company is in transition right now leading to a lack of direction or clear focus. Also there is not a big push to challenge the employees to learn more, accomplish more, or really go to the next level.

It paid the bills

Associate Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Indiana University Foundation

ProsDiscount on tuition; nice facility; access to IU events and games

ConsIt is all about who you know, not what you know; way too much favoritism; no room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize upward feedback...your employees have good information to share to make IUF great.

Good college job; Great resume builder

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation

ProsLearn many sales techniques and the value of persistence; great opportunity to explore and learn about what a sales job would be like; lots of other callers to develop friendships with; laid back work environment

Cons-Very easy to get discouraged; weekly evaluations are stressful and awkward; the starting caller pool is full of prospects that are not likely to donate to the Foundation; work shifts are at awkward times; excessively long training process

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be valuable to have a better variety of shifts and/or more flexibility; lessen or at least pay for training

Great place to work.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Indiana University Foundation

ProsIndiana University Foundation has a great mission and a wonderful work environment. They really understand that you have a life outside of work -- there is a desire to do great work, but not at the expense of your personal life. They have really great time off policies and go out of their way to recognize their employees with holiday parties, annual holiday gifts, and the like. They support career advancement and do a great job of providing the training you need to do your job well. There is also a push for involvement with professional organizations to further your education and training.

ConsWhile the pay is good, there are generally limited opportunities for raises, aside from changing jobs. This is less than ideal, but it is certainly the norm at most nonprofits. There isn't a lot of turnover at the Foundation, which can lead to some folks staying with the organization for many, many years. This inhibits the growth of new ideas and fresh perspectives, but it also creates an institutional legacy that can be helpful in a fundraising environment -- potential donors develop strong connections with people who have worked at the Foundation for many, many years. Also, the old age of the database system they use may be problematic for some. It is a workable program, but it is in dire need of updating, which senior management seems reluctant to invest in.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working to create the best work environment possible.

Great place to work on campus

I have been working at Indiana University Foundation

ProsVery good job for students

ConsNot the best management strategy

Worked for Indiana University Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Indiana University Foundation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Indiana University Foundation CEO Daniel C. Smith. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Indiana University Foundation employees.