Indiana University Health

www.iuhealth.org

Indiana University Health Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Indiana University Health President & CEO Daniel F. Evans, Jr.

Daniel F. Evans, Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits but not worth the hassle of being employed there(in 8 reviews)

• Most of the staff there provide excellent patient care(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee's that work at IU today or either there because they are related to upper management or close friends of(in 7 reviews)

• They have either fired most middle management or they have left for better positions(in 3 reviews)

Weird Timing

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsFull time, benefits, average hospital, good people, fulfilling job

ConsThey are in the middle of a merger so our area is completely short on staff so the work load is much greater but it is not unmanageable or unbearable.

Coordinator

ProsNice company to work for

ConsNone for now. Maybe later

It has been an educational experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe patients are great. Many of the nurses are really helpful. The hours are reasonable. You get to make your own schedule.

ConsGetting floated or cancelled. Working 12 hours is a long time. You can get very busy and you feel overwhelmed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IUH

ProsAmazing physicians, great medical care for patients, nursing staff cares for patients.

ConsCliques, no bonuses, small raises

The same old story....bean counters vs. realistic staffing

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, superb nursing administration

ConsAdministration's ideas re: adequate staffing often at odds with reality

Advice to Senior ManagementSee "Cons" above. When people's lives are at stake, assigning too many patients to one nurse can result in problems.

Great company

ProsEveryone is friendly and providing the best care and service to our patients is the number one goal. Helping people is a rewarding feeling.

ConsSome changes within the past few months kept me from rating this company 5 stars. There seem to be no growth in my department as well.

Good management and sense of community

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, discount perks like community partnerships, employee intranet and easy access to references and files

ConsCorporate structure can be confusing, it was hard to work through HR to get the job in the first place, management wasn't always the most qualified or able to lead

Project Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsLargest employer lots of options

ConsHR is terribly run, most system services are underutilized and inefficient. Upper management is more worried about looking good then actually fixing anything. Culture of fear in nursing and leadership as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop talent instead of hiring from outside every single time.

Information Services decline and crash

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have the greatest respect for the clinicians at IUH who believe that competent, compassionate patient care is their purpose. In IS I got experience that would have been unobtainable in any other Central Indiana hospital. I worked with some smart, experienced, and kind colleagues.

ConsEnterprise leadership that is detached from realities other than the bottom line. That is *the* con from which all others emanate. Failure of leadership has created a domino effect of issues. No career path for IS analysts, project managers, managers, etc. Poor merit raises compared to compensation of leadership. Inexplicably top-heavy with C-level executives, and adding more, while vital employees below that level are cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Situation: Reduction in workforce in the IS department considered salary costs, but not value to the enterprise. Instead of the promised cuts in leadership and low performers, they RIFed in the middle of the IS organization and an illogical number of high performing, experienced, subject matter experts were shoved out the door. Morale is low and the remaining talent is bleeding out of the IS department of its own accord. My Advice: Live the mission statement of the enterprise, if you care to look at it. Don't live the money. The money is extremely important, but if you live the mission you will find better ways to deal with the money. Remember that the only purpose is the patient. Get out and really look at the clinical environment and processes. Require all IS people to get out their isolated and insulated space and "round" regularly in hospitals. Engage clinical staff to find out what gives them pain. Hire the best people for IS, compensate them accordingly, support them, stay out of their way while they use the talent you wanted when you hired, then keep those people. Apply the Studer principle you paid for but consciously ignored: support and compensate your top performers, foster and raise your mid performers to as close to the top as they can get, and get rid of the low performers. As for the latter, in IUH IS the bottom 20% could go out the door and, after some adjustment, productivity and quality would increase.

Great company to work for. I have been provided much experience and given opportunity to grow over the years.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsPossibilities for growth within. Great support/management.

ConsSome departments under the same roof can be very disconnected to one another. It takes personal diligence and hard work to ensure you know the correct channels to get things done.

Worked for Indiana University Health? Contribute to the Community!