Indiana University Health

Indiana University Health Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.9

Indiana University Health President & CEO Daniel F. Evans, Jr.
Daniel F. Evans, Jr.

Pros
  • Great benefits but not worth the hassle of being employed there (in 8 reviews)

• Most of the staff there provide excellent patient care (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee's that work at IU today or either there because they are related to upper management or close friends of (in 7 reviews)

• They have either fired most middle management or they have left for better positions (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Positive

Current Employee - Courier  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Courier in Lafayette, IN

Pros

Full benefits. Having working in many of the clinics I can say they generally employ very nice people.

Cons

There were no promotions in my department and you have to work for a year before you can transfer departments.

It would be nice if you could switch departments quicker if you start at an entry level job. I took the courier job because I needed a job and to get insured, but I would have liked to have held out for a marketing position.

Worked with a great group and enjoyed the collaborative atmosphere.

Former Employee - IT Director  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Director in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

A lot of bright conscientious people who understand healthcare.

Cons

Administration at IU School of Medicine was difficult to work with and come to agreement on issues.
    The School of Medicines opinion was the only one that counted!

Try to look at both sides of an issue. The School of Medicine isn't always right!
    Leadership in the School of Medicine can be very authoritarian. They are quick to stifle any outside perspectives.

Coordinator

Pros

Nice company to work for

Cons

None for now. Maybe later

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would never work here again. NEVER.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bloomington, IN

Pros

This place will give you a paycheck, and not much more, except a headache, maybe.

Cons

Understaffing, rapid changes, lack of consideration for employees, old and dirty facility, redundant systems for documentation, lack of implementation of best practices, poor education, bad morale, poor pay, bad benefits (will not cover spouse if they can get their own insurance).

Please stop blaming everything on the Affordable Care Act, and attempt to make valuable improvements for the staff.

disheartening

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

best in care for patients best knowledge of staff best technology

Cons

administration decisions crippling. management company people

Very Stressful Environment

Current Employee - Medical Assistant  in  La Porte, IN
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in La Porte, IN

Pros

Great local employee discounts and benefits.

Cons

High stress environment and overworked staff due to under staffing and high turnover rates. Managers micromanage employees by expecting them to complete increased amounts of tasks with a no overtime policy! Favoritism runs high and management targets people they don't like them. Wage freezes and crappy insurance, plus you are expected to pay for your insurance premiums while you are on medical leave.

Very high acuity, very fast paced, great colleagues, upper management doesn't seem to care about the nurses

Former Employee - RN - Associate Partner  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - RN - Associate Partner in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

My clinical managers were amazing and supportive, my colleagues were fun to work with and very helpful, busy days help the time fly by, high acuity patients increased my knowledge base. Each unit has a shared governance council, which made me feel like my voice was being heard. Great reimbursement for certifications and additional education. Self-scheduling on my unit allowed for fantastic work-life balance. My unit's culture was one of teamwork, but that is most definitely unit-specific.

Cons

Our day shift differential (from 15:00-19:00) was taken away, management above the level of my clinical manager seemed to turn a blind eye to the fact that increasing RN:patient ratios were causing nurses to jeopardize their licenses by practicing unsafely (not to mention the undue harm it caused the patients). Lesser quality products were introduced to save money. During the last half of all my hard work in advancing from Associate Partner to Partner, the clinical ladder program was halted until further notice.

adding PCAs and PCIs and increasing the RN:pt ratios may seem like a good plan, but it ends up that the additional support staff is almost always floated to other units. Constructing multi-million dollar buildings that remain empty and buying outlying facilities that generate no income is just plain poor business, and it has run the company into the ground.

Staff Reductions, Cut Hours, Short Staffed Due to Rejected Position Replacement, ...and CEO pockets over $2 Million/year

Pros

IU Health looks good on a resume, but you will leave feeling beat down every day.

Cons

Unless you are an RN, no one cares about you. Sure they will act like they care, but when it comes down to it - unless you are in RED AND BLACK the higher ups don't care.

Take a pay cut rather than cut your staff. I doubt our patient satisfaction scores you hound us about will increase when patients are waiting twice as long for services from burnt out staff that run their tails off. Even when an employee leaves a replacement position can't be posted because of the budget. I think it is a huge patient safety issue to be working your staff this way while you have a private car service take you to and from work. Really Mr. Evans?

Weird Timing

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Full time, benefits, average hospital, good people, fulfilling job

Cons

They are in the middle of a merger so our area is completely short on staff so the work load is much greater but it is not unmanageable or unbearable.

IUH

Pros

Amazing physicians, great medical care for patients, nursing staff cares for patients.

Cons

Cliques, no bonuses, small raises

Worked for Indiana University Health? Contribute to the Community!