Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

www.ipfw.edu

3.9

CEO

Great Job

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great boss, low-stress job. It was quite an easy job and allowed you to meet many new people.

Cons

Handling the down time at times. Handling people that put things off until the last minute and tried to think that their emergency was yours as well.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job!

Great dedicated employees, but they are not the ones running the show. Management is well compensated but complacent.

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Pros

The clients LOGAN serves have developmental disabilities and are wonderful. They are the best part of the place. There are staff who have been working hard for decades, and their experience and knowledge are priceless.

Cons

Human Resources is terrible. Pay is abysmal except for top management. Rank and file staff are treated contemptuously and the constant firing of direct care staff is demoralizing for everyone.

Replace everyone in Human Resources. That would be a good starting point for hiring good staff and slowing down the turnover rate.

A solid foundation

Current Employee - Network and Computer Systems Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Network and Computer Systems Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great range of experience is easy to acquire since each department has their specific needs. Management works together and fast to adapt to campus changes. Management has regular meetings with every member of their team to make sure one solid direction is followed. Benefits are affordable and wide ranging.

Cons

Pay is far below what you can find in private industry doing the same thing.

Pay more to retain your employees before they decide to outgrow you.

Not a bad job.

I have been working at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Pros

Great benefits, vacation, and sick time

Cons

Seems we are continually in transition.

Make a plan and stick with it.

Studio M Lab Consultant Position - Student Job

Former Employee - Studio M Multimedia Consultant in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Studio M Multimedia Consultant in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for a student job. If there's downtime you can do homework while on the clock since there isn't much to do if the lab is empty. This is especially true for end-of-the-night or weekend shifts.

Cons

Depending on your hours, you probably won't make enough to pay all your bills. The daytime shifts can get pretty hectic sometimes, especially when a class has group projects due and people rush to get them done all at once. Night shifts on weekdays go pretty late.

Shift in administration and budget issues have affected morale and resources.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Pros

Great benefits, many good people

Cons

Salary freezes, politics, long term strategy is flimsy and not well communicated

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)

Pros

It was easy work and my bosses were very nice. I appreciated that they left me put school first. It was fun.

Cons

The pay was very low.

Good Atmosphere

Former Contractor - Adjunct/Limited Term Lecturer/Receptionist in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Whether I was working as a receptionist or as an instructor, people were always helpful. Rarely did I come across a hard-nosed individual when asking for assistance. While it might take a while to find the right person with the right answer, someone always had the answer or the ability to find a way. IPFW is a community of its own, and I was pleased to be a part of it. I hope I can be a part of it again, someday. I do miss the people and the campus.

Cons

The only con to working here, but not so much as due to the administration, as an adjunct, the pay is good comparable to other universities but to make a living is hard without working at another university and instructing at least 6 classes. An adjunct does the same amount of work as any professor; the only difference is an adjunct doesn't go to meetings or is s/he required to be involved in community projects. This issue isn't subject to IPFW alone. Nevertheless, I wouldn't change what I do. To anyone looking to be an instructor, you'll need another source of income until you have a full time position with an university.

Service Tech

Former Employee - Clerical/Service Tech in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Clerical/Service Tech in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IPFW offers a great laid back environment that has a lot of down to earth fellow colleagues that are very welcoming. There is culture of good collaboration at the university which makes a good environment for networking. In addition to that great job security and benefits.

Cons

As most university are there is a lot of bureaucracy. Some decisions take forever to be implemented since it has to go through committees.

Chair

Current Employee - Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Administrator in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive environment, cooperative atmosphere and great work colleagues

Cons

Going through budgetary difficulties that have a impact on morale and efficient use of resources

Think in business terms

Work at Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)? Share Your Experiences

Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW)