Indiana Wesleyan

3.6

CEO

Great place to work

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan

Pros

IWU is a great place to work. Free education, 12 days of vacation, 13 holidays, and lots of sick time.

Cons

It has been a great place, but you need an advanced to degree to move up.

Going downhill fast

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan

Pros

Vacation and sick leave. (Basically any time you aren't at work.)

Cons

The pay is lousy. The bosses, the upper management, the complete lack of true concern for the student. Every department is out for themselves- to do the least work, to not give up any power and to resist anything that will make them do more work.

Remember why we exist and start living up to it. If you can't do that, do us all a favor and leave.

Worst City and the Worst Place to Work

Current Employee - Program Representative in Marion, IN
    Current Employee - Program Representative in Marion, IN

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pro that make it worth it except that I don't have to drive that far to get to work.

Cons

Middle management is just collecting a paycheck. They wish they were still in the 1990's- paper applications anyone? The senior management does nothing to make them change.

Change for the better or I am afraid the university will keep going down the drain.

We lose the best people to other companies while we just stagnate

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Marion, IN
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Marion, IN

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Adoption and Down Payment Benefits are good. My peers are good people and some of the AD's are great.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. The pay is terrible compared to other schools in online enrollment and we've lost a ton of people to jobs that will pay them a lot more and they get to stay at home. The city has fallen apart and it is hard to see how bad it has gotten. We've had boss after boss after boss in AES enrollment and they can't keep someone in the job. The good old boys (and girls) club here is strong and if you come in from anywhere else you are treated like an outsider. If you want to change or improve anything you have to fight for it, knowing you probably won't win. We finally had a boss that taught us how to do our jobs and gave us support and today he's leaving for another job that will probably pay better and actually want to get better. We finally were going somewhere and now we're stuck with out-of-touch upper management who like to dress up as Santa to win points and a secretary who runs him.

Stop gossiping in your little circle and recognize that those of us in the cubes have something to offer. Stop saying scripture and then not following it. It is embarrassing and a poor witness. One of my bosses' gave their notice and his boss immediately started intercepting our emails to him without our (or our bosses) knowledge even though he was still employed for almost a month. He got caught and fessed up, but it looked vindictive and insecure and frankly, it showed us the VP's true colors.

Student Assistant Review

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Marion, IN
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Marion, IN

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan part-time

Pros

Flexible and great supervisors! Responsibilities are manageable and easy to complete. You can sometimes do homework if you have completed your other duties. Great environment to be in!

Cons

There aren't too many cons to a student assistant position. However, the other offices may be different, but my office is wonderful. Everyone is very friendly and helpful! The only con would be the low pay.

Keep up the great work.

Great

I worked at Indiana Wesleyan

Pros

Environment, people, time off, benefits

Cons

Pay, upper management, not enough help

Take care of your people

Adjunct Faculty

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Marion, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Marion, IN

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexible schedule, works on weekend.

Cons

Pay is decent for a PhD...400 per day about.

Offer benefits at full cost for part time employees.

The people make the difference.

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan

Pros

I worked on campus in the Marion, IN location. The close-knit community is so ideal - and being able to hop over to the coffee shop for a quick breather was a huge bonus. My coworkers were wonderful... it's a nice-people atmosphere and working with students is rewarding the majority of the time. No one's perfect, there are always going to be grumps wherever you go. :)

Cons

Communication within the university is lacking. Many recent personnel changes at "higher" levels and shifting office locations... decisions were made without much prior explanation - frustrating to be on the receiving end of it all.

Great school to work for!

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Recruitment
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Recruitment

I worked at Indiana Wesleyan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Christian values held strongly across the university, appreciates life-work balance. Great benefits, including wellness benefit for you and spouse.

Cons

Traditional campus focus, so working in the adult side can be a bit dis-heartening. Regional sites in other locations and sites don't receive as much attention as main campus. Quick to change little things, hard to change big policies.

Listen to students and staff and seriously consider putting into effect student-friendly policies and things that will help the University (even if there is an upfront cost in the beginning).

Great place to work if you keep your head down

I have been working at Indiana Wesleyan full-time

Pros

2 weeks vacation right off the bat, paid holidays and sick time.

Cons

The college spends money on stuff they do not need, they do not budget very well so people have been let go due to this. Management needs more diversity training

Management should be required to take more management classes. Communication is horrible and issues are swept under the rug. I have overheard a supervisor in facilities use terrible language towards other employees and no action was taken against them. They need to stop hiring friends and allow those who have the time in and the skill set to rise up.