Indianapolis Public Schools

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.6

Eugene White

Strict deadlines and a good atmosphere to work in, but was in transition to using newer technology.

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools

Pros

Given a lot to work on, was never bored. Environment was solid and lots of protocol to work with for accountability (I consider that a pro)

Cons

Salary cap similar to government worker status, starting salary is based only on years experience, not skill level. Once at top of pay scale, only rare corporate wide raises or promotions meant pay increase.

Keep value of the employees at the highest I was proud to work at ips mainly because I knew I had a direct impact.

Overall, I enjoy working at Indianapolis Public School

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Personal growth, meet parents and other staffs, learn about different cultures in IPS

Cons

compensation for classified with bachelor degree, lack of leadership in some schools

Make sure principals are people friendly and not lack communication skills with employees

It's an inner-city school district... it's hard work, rewarding, and fun.

I have been working at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Passionate, creative teaching staff in most schools. There is a real sense of a work "family" and an understanding of working together for the good of the whole. Good work/life balance.

Cons

New upper management (superintendent) is making a lot of changes, particularly at the mid-management (principal, vice-principal) level, which, in turn, is trickling down to teaching and support staff. As a result, there is much chaos and uncertainty.

Low-income, inner-city children need consistent, caring adults in their lives. Consider working more often to better develop the talents of the existing staff, rather than regularly "cleaning house" and/ or "dancing lemons" as a punishment for low test scores. Students and parents seeing the same faces when they return each fall builds powerful relationships (and raises test scores).

Unsupported, bloated management, bad working conditions

Former Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like a challenge and you like working with students, you will have plenty of both. You can make a difference in the lives of students and parents.

You will find that most of the staff from custodians, lunch ladies to teachers are some of the most caring and knowledgeable people to work with and are concerned with the well being of the students.

Forget about a private life. There will be no time as the demands placed upon teachers far exceed the ability for any person to do all the facets of the job placed upon teachers, if you want to do your best.

Cons

Lack of resources. Lack of support in dealing with student issues. You will do more meaningless paperwork that is totally unconnected to student engagement and achievement than actual teaching.

The administration is largely disorganized and reactionary as a opposed to being proactive and thoughtful in solving issues facing students and teachers.

Cronyism and favoritism continue to be huge barriers to teacher/student success. More adults are concerned with appearing to effect positive change and protect their inflated salaries than they are in actually bringing about positive change. There is too much emphasis placed upon "looking like" they are doing something that actually doing anything.

Their is a great deal of micromanagement on most campuses. It all depends upon your administrator and that is subject to change upon a whim.

There is no job security. Excellence is not based upon verifiable success, awards, or student achievement. The better you are, the more you are a target for dismissal, unless you know the right people. Again this is subject to change as the internal politics in this organization are in constant flux.

Obscene lack of professionalism from the downtown office and administration.

Begin to value employees in all strata. Trust that you have hired professionals. Stop micromanaging. If an administrator has the time to micromanage and harass staff, ask why. They are clearly redundant and can be eliminated. Understand the importance of clear and timely communication. Be consistent in polices. Look at the ramifications of policies prior to implementation so that you will not be constantly shifting policies within a school year. Stop passing the buck. Stop being afraid of children and parents. Act with empathy and intelligence. Put an end to cronyism. It has been the downfall of this district for decades.

New teacher

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher

I have been working at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard working peers, kids who really need someone to care. Comprehensive teacher benefit package. Very diversified student base.

Cons

Write ups for any sick day (you or family), wage freezes, poorly communicating administrators. Lack of effective discipline plans.

If you're not good at communicating, get an assistant who is! Stop calling out teachers in front of other people. Have our backs once in awhile.

Good for a first start...

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Competitive salary
    -Most schools are air conditioned
    -Great coworkers who work long hours and are dedicated to helping their students achieve excellene

Cons

-Poor leadership in schools
    -Not enough training for new teachers
    -Exceptionally large class sizes
    -No praise for doing a job well

-Recognize the teachers who do well in each building, not just the best teachers of the year in the district
    -The phrase "Those who can teach, teach, while those who cannot go into administration" sums up the principals

the magment and the skill i learn help me to become a better worker and supervisor

Former Employee - Jantoral in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Jantoral in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people and she smile on the people face when they see a clean building

Cons

the amount of thing that needed to be done

that they need more people

Indianapolis Public Schools K-12

Current Employee - Parent Liaison in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Parent Liaison in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good home work environment good balance.

Cons

Low salaries if your not in administration.

Management wonderful

I enjoyed working with staff at the schools and also the children who were challenging at times but were eager to learn.

Former Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for IPS simply to give back to my community. I love teaching. I wanted to share this with the young people that I taught. I wanted them to know that no matter where you come from you can still make a positive difference in your community.

Cons

Downside of working in IPS is the unprofessionalism of the Human Resource staff!

Be clear and sensitive to the individuals that you hire. Also give a specific reason as to why you won't hire individuals in your cooperation.

Antequated IT structure, easy-going atmosphere

Former Employee - IT Systems/Networking in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Systems/Networking in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great place to learn
    -Lower stress
    -Great pay for a first or second job in IT
    -Upward mobility if you work hard in a lower-level position
    -Low overtime, consistent hours on first shift
    -Good people

Cons

-The school system is in trouble. Losing students consistently, political campaigns work against IPS and pro charter schools. Schools have been shutting down consistently over the last 5 years.
    -High turnover in IT. The higher end systems/network positions are only good for a couple years before you can go make more somewhere else. Not a place to plan on staying for a long time unless you want to have no stress and low pay. Benefits have continually gotten worse.
    -The salary structure is all out of whack. High pay for helpdesk & desktop support, low pay for systems and network administration.
    -Little incentive to improve skills or work on PD. The pay scale steps take entirely too long to move up and getting certifications/knowledge do nothing for you (unless you work helpdesk/desktop support and want to move into systems/network roles)
    -Small issues escalate because of incompetence at lower levels
    -Professional dress (tie included)
    -Understaffed because it takes so long to hire people, and people leave every few months (except the desktop support and helpdesk people, who tend to stick around)

Overhaul structure