Indianapolis Star

Barbara Henry

Great company

Former Employee - Online  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Online in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No real negatives. Good people

None

Not a good place to work

Pros

Nice and friendly co-workers. From a career perspective it has a lot of potential if you're a man.

Cons

No work-life balance - you are expected to always be on the clock. No training or mentoring of new employees. Men are treated a lot differently then women. Lots of favoritism is all departments. Company management in most cases do not have a clue about effectively managing their employees or empowering them to be successful. Demands are often extreme.

Lost cause. They are too arrogant and wouldn't listen anyway.

A good place to work, BEFORE the Internet obliterated newspapers.

Former Employee - Newsroom Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Newsroom Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Challenging work, wonderful co-workers. Funnest job one could have when the revenue was there to support the operation.

Cons

Management not well trained, shoots from the hip when things don't go right. Lots of knee jerk reactions in battling declining revenue. No one seems to have the solution to a declining industry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I used to be passionate about working for The Indianapolis Star; now it is just a paycheck.

Current Employee - Undisclosed  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The benefits are competitive, and there are a lot of great people who work for the company.

Cons

Over the past few years, the company has continued to downsize to the point that remaining employees are overworked and overly stressed. With over seventy-five percent of the staff gone, the morale is the lowest it has ever been, and most people dread coming to work every day. Job security at this company is almost non-existent, and many hard working, dedicated employees are not appreciated for the work that they do. It has been labeled by many as a toxic, abusive work environment.

I would recommend trying to construct a positive, rewarding work environment for the many people who continue to dedicate their lives to working for this company. Ruling with an iron fist and threatening employee's livelihood on an ongoing basis will continue to drive morale into the ground. I've often heard that it is seven times more expensive to gain an existing customer than it is to retain an existing one. I would encourage you to apply this same philosophy to your employees. It is with great sadness that I would not recommend working for this company; it used to be an amazing place to work.

Great paper, horrible corporation.

Pros

- Flexible schedules
    - Decent pay
    - Free parking
    - Some managers really do try to make it a better place.

Cons

- Top-down management styles. These people will not listen to anyone that doesn't have the word, "manager or director" in their title. Yet they ask for people to voice their opinions. Very mixed signals.
    - Unethical and possibly illegal work practices. There have been a multitude of incidents slip under the radar in this workplace, ranging from sexual harassment to pay decreases without notice. With the HR department being uninformed on basic procedures, and the low morale, this behavior is unfortunately the status quo.
    - They rule out of fear. Everyone is constantly fearful of losing their job. Taking initiative is often frowned upon because of this.

Rather than having middle-managers read books to boost the company culture, you should actually have them speak to their staff on a regular basis. Team meetings should be implemented, not just one-on-ones. All the one-on-one meetings accomplish is creating an isolation between team members and encourage a platform for complaining rather than problem solving.

You'll Love it if you're one of their "Favorites"

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good pay, benefits and working hours.

Cons

They have weekly group sales meetings in which the same 5 or 6 people are mentioned for how wonderful they are (even if you've done something just as wonderful). There is definitely the knowledge among the staff who the "golden" people are, which made working there very demoralizing. Also, they're never satisfied with what you do, they always want more.

Treat all employees the same...stop encouraging brown-nosing. Also, you could be a little friendlier.

Great people, working in poor conditions because of Gannett Corporate

Former Employee - Department Editor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Department Editor in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

At least in the editorial departments, I felt that I had a fantastic group of individuals that give it their all, and were my extended family. My last five years at the newspaper was the best I've had in any job.

Cons

Unfortunately, Gannett in their efforts to make their numbers, started laying off my co-workers, starting instituting unpaid furloughs, and then cutting our salaries by 10%, which we never got back.

Escape on your terms. Life is better outside and you can do it while you have a job. I miss the people I worked with, and my job was the best I ever had. But I knew I had to leave when the ship started sinking.

Formerly noble and valued, currently undervalued

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

Pros

Vacation and personal leave time off, influencing readers, great and hard-working co-workers who create a cameraderie, flexible hours for certain positions

Cons

Undervalued by management, not appreciated, too much work in too little time, not enough direction, little communication between the divisions.

Appreciate employees better, take more time to know your employees, communicate better with employees, be sincere for the first time ever.

Gannett sunk this company.

Pros

There were some great people that work there. All are overwhelm with their job but are very helpful.
    I still miss them.

Cons

No work/like balance. Management would not build any personal relationships with employees. My last manager never asked about my family.

Be civil and approachable to employees. Show commitment that you want the best of of all employees. Be polite and acknowledge employees in public settings. Your business is failing.

Worked for Indianapolis Star? Contribute to the Community!