www.indystar.com

Barbara Henry

Great company

Former Employee - Online in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Online in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No real negatives. Good people

None

This ship hit an iceberg and it's going down, down, down.

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, good PTO package. Good co-workers.

Cons

Zero training. Zero transparency on company policy, commission and payment plans, and HR is non-existent if you want some of these important questions answered. HR works for Gannett, not you. Management has turned over quickly--I had 4 different managers in less than a year.

They also change your sales territory and accounts without any thought as to what's best for the customer. Accounts move around in ways that make no sense, generally to the detriment of the sales reps and clients. There is only so many times a client wants to hear "I'm your new account executive!" and they will look elsewhere if things keep getting tweaked. My territory was changed without notice 3x in 2 years, and in sales it takes momentum to finally reap the benefits of a stable territory but this isn't taken into account. This conveniently seems to happen when someone is facing a good payout and they are stuck in a struggling territory to 'help revive it with their great sales skills.' Uh huh. Sure.

There is zero career pathing unless you're one of the 'golden children'. I put in for an internal position and never even got a confirmation or thank you for my application. Never heard back. I was promoted 3 times from within before this new regime change so my qualifications were not the issue...

The BIGGEST problem at Indy Star is payment of sales executives: They do not want to pay their sales reps commission. Bottom line. End of story. It's structured in a way that is not beneficial to employees but instead stacked in the Gannett Corporate's favor. Commission is quarterly instead of monthly, and it feels like they are constantly tweaking goals and rules in a way that short changes the sales reps. If you hit January and February 90%+ but an ad pulls and tanks you in March...tough luck. No commission for you, though the company still profits from your success in January and February. Now you must wait at least 4 more months for a shot at commission (it's paid the month after the quarter ends...). No one can afford to live like this! As an added bonus, you'll also get put on a PIP. Goals are formulated in an unobtainable way and they're always too high to be realistic. They DO NOT want you to make commission. Do not take a sales job with The Indianapolis Star unless you enjoy making base-only and being put on coaching plans because of the unreasonable and unobtainable goals that you are assigned.

It makes me incredibly sad to leave this review. I was proud to have been a Star employee when I first started, but it keeps getting worse and worse. Please hire managers who actually can coach their team and are invested in their team's success and who want to learn the products and not just smile and nod when we ask for information. Not the inexperienced, hair-on-fire managers who only know how to parrot what the VP has told them....

The sales team I was on went from 9 people to 5 in the past month. There's a reason so many people have quit--our manager was clueless and unhelpful and naive. We are only as good as our leaders, and the leadership is poor.

It is the Titanic. We hit the iceberg a year or so ago and now it's taking on water fast. A new building isn't going to fix it. REAL change from within--and a change in upper management--is the only fix. Unfortunately Gannett just doesn't care.

Sad that they have resorted to measures to save a nickel while spending a dime to do so.

I worked at Indianapolis Star

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Declining circulation. Vindictive management.

Your beyond advice at this time.

Not a good place to work

I have been working at Indianapolis Star full-time

Pros

Nice and friendly co-workers. From a career perspective it has a lot of potential if you're a man.

Cons

No work-life balance - you are expected to always be on the clock. No training or mentoring of new employees. Men are treated a lot differently then women. Lots of favoritism is all departments. Company management in most cases do not have a clue about effectively managing their employees or empowering them to be successful. Demands are often extreme.

Lost cause. They are too arrogant and wouldn't listen anyway.

A good place to work, BEFORE the Internet obliterated newspapers.

Former Employee - Newsroom Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Newsroom Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work, wonderful co-workers. Funnest job one could have when the revenue was there to support the operation.

Cons

Management not well trained, shoots from the hip when things don't go right. Lots of knee jerk reactions in battling declining revenue. No one seems to have the solution to a declining industry.

I used to be passionate about working for The Indianapolis Star; now it is just a paycheck.

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are competitive, and there are a lot of great people who work for the company.

Cons

Over the past few years, the company has continued to downsize to the point that remaining employees are overworked and overly stressed. With over seventy-five percent of the staff gone, the morale is the lowest it has ever been, and most people dread coming to work every day. Job security at this company is almost non-existent, and many hard working, dedicated employees are not appreciated for the work that they do. It has been labeled by many as a toxic, abusive work environment.

I would recommend trying to construct a positive, rewarding work environment for the many people who continue to dedicate their lives to working for this company. Ruling with an iron fist and threatening employee's livelihood on an ongoing basis will continue to drive morale into the ground. I've often heard that it is seven times more expensive to gain an existing customer than it is to retain an existing one. I would encourage you to apply this same philosophy to your employees. It is with great sadness that I would not recommend working for this company; it used to be an amazing place to work.

Great paper, horrible corporation.

I have been working at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible schedules
    - Decent pay
    - Free parking
    - Some managers really do try to make it a better place.

Cons

- Top-down management styles. These people will not listen to anyone that doesn't have the word, "manager or director" in their title. Yet they ask for people to voice their opinions. Very mixed signals.
    - Unethical and possibly illegal work practices. There have been a multitude of incidents slip under the radar in this workplace, ranging from sexual harassment to pay decreases without notice. With the HR department being uninformed on basic procedures, and the low morale, this behavior is unfortunately the status quo.
    - They rule out of fear. Everyone is constantly fearful of losing their job. Taking initiative is often frowned upon because of this.

Rather than having middle-managers read books to boost the company culture, you should actually have them speak to their staff on a regular basis. Team meetings should be implemented, not just one-on-ones. All the one-on-one meetings accomplish is creating an isolation between team members and encourage a platform for complaining rather than problem solving.

You'll Love it if you're one of their "Favorites"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and working hours.

Cons

They have weekly group sales meetings in which the same 5 or 6 people are mentioned for how wonderful they are (even if you've done something just as wonderful). There is definitely the knowledge among the staff who the "golden" people are, which made working there very demoralizing. Also, they're never satisfied with what you do, they always want more.

Treat all employees the same...stop encouraging brown-nosing. Also, you could be a little friendlier.

Great people, working in poor conditions because of Gannett Corporate

Former Employee - Department Editor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Department Editor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indianapolis Star full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At least in the editorial departments, I felt that I had a fantastic group of individuals that give it their all, and were my extended family. My last five years at the newspaper was the best I've had in any job.

Cons

Unfortunately, Gannett in their efforts to make their numbers, started laying off my co-workers, starting instituting unpaid furloughs, and then cutting our salaries by 10%, which we never got back.

Escape on your terms. Life is better outside and you can do it while you have a job. I miss the people I worked with, and my job was the best I ever had. But I knew I had to leave when the ship started sinking.

Formerly noble and valued, currently undervalued

Current Employee - Writer
    Current Employee - Writer

I have been working at Indianapolis Star

Pros

Vacation and personal leave time off, influencing readers, great and hard-working co-workers who create a cameraderie, flexible hours for certain positions

Cons

Undervalued by management, not appreciated, too much work in too little time, not enough direction, little communication between the divisions.

Appreciate employees better, take more time to know your employees, communicate better with employees, be sincere for the first time ever.

Indianapolis Star Photos