Indiegogo

www.indiegogo.com

Indiegogo Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Slava Rubin

Best company to work for!

ProsAmazing team with great leadership in place. Fast paced and fun work environment. Everyone is genuinely excited to be here. Comparable salary and benefits. Offices are dog friendly.

ConsStill missing a couple key hires at higher levels. Interview/Hiring process is strenuous but understandable wanting the right people in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture as company scales. Stay transparent & keep listening to feedback.

Great place to really create meaning in your work and life

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat team of people, amazing mission, very passionate management team and extended team. Fun office environment and a lot of people who really want to put their heads together to solve big problems.

ConsThere are lots of dogs - for many this is a pro :) Also because the company moves so fast communication could be better - buts its steadily improving and management is very open to feedback. Having management split across coasts is tough, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously think about everyone in the SF office.

Awesome people, inspiring mission, collaborate environment

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing office culture and people to work with. Everyone is motivated, intelligent and focussed at their roles during work hours. After work, there are many fun activities and company events. The office is always well stocked and there are awesome weekly team dinners and happy hours.

The engineering has a lot of very experienced and easy to work with senior engineers that are willing to teach and pass down skills to the less experienced. Everyone's ideas and opinions are respected and listened to equally regardless of seniority or time spent within the organization. It is a very collaborative team, and everyone takes time to help each other when asked.

ConsAs a fast growing company a lot of change is always happening and sometimes transitions could be smoother. The organization structure is constantly changing and it can be tough to keep up with whats going on at the opposite side of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring quality employees and focus on retention. There is an amazing recruiting team, just be sure to keep up with the competitive tech space constantly trying to poach/hire employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work if you are entrepreneurial

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company mission is great and the business model aligns perfectly to doing good in the world. The fact that the company is well-funded and growing rapidly doesn’t hurt. I’ve personally gotten a lot of opportunity to ride the wave of growth and get exposure to lots of responsibilities outside of my original job description. As someone who likes to learn new things, I find this opportunity very compelling.

For a startup with this level of risk, salary and benefits are solid. Nice office. Too many office dogs for my tastes, but most people seem to like it.

ConsWhile we’ve built up senior management a lot over the past year, in general, everyone is still figuring out how to work effectively in a larger company. Things can be chaotic, and I think people who have been here a long time take certain types of communication for granted—it’s much harder to keep 85 people informed than 15. Everyone has great intentions, but sometimes execution is lacking.

If you are willing to make your own way, you can accomplish a lot here. If you’re looking for someone to teach you how to do your job, you’ll probably be unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that things that used to be easy (e.g. 1:1 communications, getting strategic alignment) are now hard and spend a commensurate amount of time focusing on those areas. Spend more executive time focusing on building an organization than on building the website.

Nimble company, optimistic outlook!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits -- Really flexible WFH policy, 401K, comped cell phone bill & headphones, fully stocked kitchen, weekly dinners... You can pretty much request anything else you feel you might need for work. Fun in-office events (ice cream socials, crepe buffets, ping pong table, video games)...

Open to change -- Everyone is constantly re-assessing team and company goals, and they're open to and fast about pivoting to meet changing needs.

Empowering -- The word "empowerment" gets thrown around here a lot, but I really do feel empowered at my job. I know I can suggest anything and it'll get legitimate consideration from my manager. The license to create and implement your own ideas is really quite amazing for a company at this size and age.

ConsWork-life balance is sometimes tricky. If it becomes a pattern, you have to be able to have a transparent conversation with your manager about it. Some managers are probably more observant than others that you might be having issues...

There are a lot of meetings, some less necessary than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe observant about individual happiness and drivers/motivation for each of your team members.

Love Going to Work Everyday!

ProsI really like the culture here. Everyone is truly great to be around. Also, what stands out to me is how passionate everyone is about their work here! I've also had the opportunity to learn a lot on the job and take on many different projects.

ConsSince it's a startup, priorities can be unclear at times, but this has been addressed and has improved greatly!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with valuing culture fit and being transparent to employees.

Upbeat environment, great people, in transition from startup to more scalability and institutionalization

ProsCompared to big corporate environment I came from, smaller company/startup stands out in terms of people, collaboration, and mission-driven culture. Indiegogo is my first startup experience, and it's been overall a very positive experience.

With big open office space, people get to know each other easily. I'm happy to say that I've made many great friends at Indiegogo, something that corporate environment does not provide. People are generally driven, friendly, motivated, and down to earth.

The company is not too big yet to prevent motivated employees from voicing interests in different projects and engaging in cross-departmental collaboration, despite the fact that the flexibility also provides uncertainty due to the lack of systematic ways to address such employee interests, or facilitate opportunities or transfers of trying new projects.

ConsOne of the most important reasons that I chose to develop myself in the startup environment is to get my hands on different things and acquire different skill sets. Career development and employee growth opportunities are constant struggles at indiegogo - there is no systematic way facilitating programs like inter-company externship, or giving employees, especially the junior folks, the opportunities to try new projects or even new departments.

Company-level goals and strategies are mostly determined behind the doors, and senior management sometimes is not communicative about major policy changes or updates. Some departments get lost in the chaotic prioritization process, and do not get access to enough resources compared to others.

Junior employees have limited opportunity interacting with the management team. There is no mentorship (another important reason I joined a startup for) encouraged as part of the company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent about major policy changes to the whole company, especially when it comes to termination and promotion.

Be more accessible to junior employees.

Go Changemaker Go

Trust & Safety Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIndiegogo is truly a mission-driven company.

Though we are incredibly busy with the day to day operations of the company, people do not lose sight of our larger purpose: to increase access to capital, to democratize finance, and empower people to fund their passions.

Indiegogo also extends this empowerment to its employees. Even as an entry level analyst, I have been encouraged to pursue projects that I am interested in and have felt that I can impact the organization in a meaningful way. There is no shortage of work to be done so the team recognizes that strict hierarchy and red-tape impede progress.

I have found myself working with some of the smartest and most friendly people I have ever met. Everyone is approachable and eager to see you succeed. The more experienced employees will take time out of their busy schedule in order to meet with you and help you plan your career, provide advice and resources, or just to chat to get to know you.

In summary, not only do you get to create meaningful change, you get to have fun while doing it with awesome people!

ConsI think most of the cons of working at Indiegogo are the result of growing pains. The industry and company is expanding at a rapid rate and we sometimes can't keep up.

For example, while I really think this is an opportunity, one challenge we face is that a lot of our internal tools haven't been optimized yet. This means that there is a lot of room for improvement which I find exciting, but it is frustrating at times when things break or have to be done manually.

We have had a bad habit of overcommitting and lacking focus. A lot of projects have been started with positive outlooks and overly-ambitious deadlines only to come to a grinding halt when things need to be re-prioritized. Some of these projects never see the light of day again or become obsolete by the time we get around to them.

Advancement in the organization is unclear for now. I want to hold off on judgement until I have been here longer and have a clearer sense of my own career path, but for now I feel that there isn't a good system in place for people to advance within the company.

Even though we are experiencing some frustration as we expand, we always look at how we can overcome them and adapt. We are always iterating to better our tools and product; we just implemented a new process of OKRs to focus our team efforts; and our HR department has a track record for listening to employees and providing new improvements when suggested like a 401k.

I firmly believe all of these cons will be addressed (at least in part) in the next year as we adjust to becoming a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really think management is on the right track. They have recently started hiring more middle managers to lead teams and I can already feel the difference. My team, for instance, now has a clear vision and direction and has made improvements/strides in the last month than we have in the last year with the help of a strong manager.

With that said, I would recommend being more transparent about how promotions and advancements work or will work in the future. As an employee just starting my professional career, (who happens to LOVE Indiegogo) I am very interested in what my role would look like here in 2-3 years. I can see myself being here for a while, but I don't want to be at the same place I am now. I want to grow, acquire new skills, take on greater responsibilities, perhaps manage people, and feel that with each quarter I am contributing to the organization at a higher level. A lot of this will fall on my shoulders to prove my value and my passion, but what I want to see from management is a recognition of my contribution along with a desire to give me more responsibility if I am of value or provide clear guidance and feedback if I am not quite there yet.

The people and mission are awesome!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's great to work with a team of folks who are so aligned and passionate about achieving a shared goal. And the goal is such a positive one. It's so easy to feel good about the product we're making and its impact in the world. We hear from our customers all the time about the difference our platform makes - there just aren't a lot of technology companies out there that can offer such a great opportunity to change peoples' lives. It's also a really fun, casual, authentic and energized environment. There's also unlimited opportunity to innovate and take on new challenges - this is a company that really encourages everyone to come up with the next big idea.

ConsWork-life balance is a hard thing to find. The only constant is change - we're growing really fast so the organization keeps changing, with people moving around and a lot of new folks coming on board all the time. When so much is changing, it can be hard to stay focused on your own priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause we're growing so fast, it's really important to be sure everyone knows and understands their specific goals and how they relate to the overall company goals. Things just move so fast and we're all working so hard, we lose sight of that sometimes.

Positive, encouraging, inspiring place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEnthusiastic team who truly believes in the mission to democratize fundraising and make the world better through crowdfunding. We're a hardworking group with a diverse background, and do lots of fun activities outside of work together. About half women and half men. Dog-friendly office, ping pong, happy hours, team dinner, and other perks of startups. We're always encouraged to voice ideas and suggestion directly to managers and our co-founders. Focusing on culture as we're growing. Everything moves fast!

ConsCareer development is encouraged, but unclear. As a result some stellar employees have felt stalled and moved on to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on being transparent with employees, develop clearer career paths, and continue fostering a great environment where employees are happy to come to work and collaborate together.

Worked for Indiegogo? Contribute to the Community!