Indigo Books & Music Reviews

Reset
2.9
Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman

Pros
  • Overall work environment are fun (in 12 reviews)

• Company culture is great; work/life balance, creative people, well-travelled, easy going (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of executive HR leadership at head office is the main reason (in 12 reviews)

• Head Office expects an insane amount of work from minimum wage, part time employees (in 12 reviews)

1. CER

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music as a contractor

Pros

Excellent environment to work in. Very professional store manager and supervisors in Kingston. Good benefits and opportunity to move up in your career.

Cons

Minimum wage. High internal competition considering that Indigo is the largest book store in Canada. You have to be flexible and consider moving to other cities if you want move up.

Awesome People, Pretty Good Benefits but still a entry level job

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers/Managers are awesome. - The 30% off discount is nice, however at times it feels like it is more than as a way for Indigo to sell more. - The customers are USUALLY pretty understanding and cooperative. As with anywhere, you get the odd ones that aren't. - Hours are usually pretty good.

Cons

- Pay is only minimum wage. - Seems like there is very little room to move on in the company. One of our cashiers isn't even paid as one. - I would love to see when there is postings for new openings, across the whole company. I know that there is some way of doing it, but no one is reminded of it nor have the older employees been informed. - As we do shift more towards products in the lifestyle category and away from books, we have to constantly learn new products and ways to promote them. No offence to the brand or anything, but some of the items are ridiculously priced and I find it hard to sell them to customers. - I do know that it is an entry level job, but if your whole idea as a company is to find great people to promote your brand, you'll have to entice them to stay a lot longer and to move forward with the company. I know a lot more places that hire our people for like jobs (or jobs that have you do less) and they pay more. - They in still that the retail job ($10/hr) is more important than the rest of the things in your life and that you should put their schedule ahead of yours.

Advice to Management

Not so much to store management as the majority of them are pretty great, but to upper management... treat your lowest level of employees better... a little bit better pay would be nice and please relax the dress code a little bit.

Could be better...

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some managers do care about employees and make the experience worthwhile. - Worked with a lot of talented, funny people. - Flexible hours work if you are a student. - Loved the store atmosphere (worked in a big box store and not in a mall). - If you love being around books, this is the place to be.

Cons

-The pay is super low. You will likely need to live with your parents/roommates, and/or work another job in order to eke out a living. The company prefers to hire new people over paying a raise in order to keep costs low. - Due to the decline in book sales, the store has taken a step to "diversifying" its product line by selling overpriced lifestyle items. Books are now being replaced with crap. - Must work over thirty-two hours a week in order to qualify for benefits. - The hours are flexible but not stable, meaning you could be working 20 hours one week and 14 hours the next. This does not bode well for your paycheck. - Expect to do jobs outside your job description. What, you didn't know that cleaning up bum vomit in the main aisle was part of your duty? - Very top heavy management. As others have pointed out, there are way too many store managers for one store and frequently the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. - As with other jobs, some coworkers and managers really shouldn't be there.

Advice to Management

-Pay your employees more. We aren't just a bunch of lemmings who can easily be replaced as soon as something goes wrong. Show a little heart...but I doubt you will. - Stop selling useless crap to customers. If you are going to diversify your product line, then put some thought into it. Since when do you sell barbecue sauce at a bookstore? Who are you trying to compete with, Wal-Mart?

5. Genuine Forward Thinking Company

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Indigo cares about it's employees and believe that they are the backbone to the success of the company

Cons

Shift work, evenings weekends are not ideal but comes with retail

Advice to Management

Keep pushing those who are interested in progressing. It's inspirational and motivating.

Customer Experience Manager

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Indigo Books & Music full-time

Pros

Company trying to undergo transformation to survive in brick and mortar retail environment. Indigo refers to itself as a top Canadian Employer

Cons

Sense of desperation inside company, Expectations re work load for managers far exceeds salary

7. Interesting mix of causal yet corporate environment

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Indigo Books & Music as a contractor

Pros

If you're OK with a corporate setting, Indigo's actually quite lovely: casual dress code, free book shelf, etc.

Cons

Retail company: employees are let go during downturn.

8. customer experience representative

Pros

Great environment. people oriented. fun to work for

Cons

no family life though. as in retail.

9. Indigo

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful Co-workers and managers generous employee discounts you can borrow books from the store great environment to be in

Cons

inconsistent dress code strictness between managers and it seems that official dress code list in not exhaustive in terms of what you cannot and can wear in terms of pants

10. Indigo

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, most customers are nice, I loved working with my managers they were very easy going and rarely stressed

Cons

No benefits, and low pay, few customers are extremely rude,

11. Great place to work, no upward mobility

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time

Pros

Great people and great work, excellent atmosphere especially if you love working with people

Cons

Though a great place to work, there are few full-time positions and almost no upward mobility. Managers are usually hired externally.

RSS Feed </> Embed