Indigo Books & Music

Updated December 8, 2014
2.9

Indigo Books & Music Chairman and CEO Heather M. Reisman
Heather M. Reisman

Pros
  • good work environment, not too busy, can take it easy and discover books which I love (in 12 reviews)

• Company culture is great; work/life balance, creative people, well-travelled, easy going (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most frustrating aspect was the disconnect that the head office had for my store (in 12 reviews)

• Minimum wage pay for a hopeful 20 hours a week (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

Former Employee - Cash Supervisor in Toronto, OH
    Former Employee - Cash Supervisor in Toronto, OH

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were great, relaxed atmosphere, and work pace was good. I enjoyed the people I worked with.

Cons

It is a retail environment. Pay is a little low, hours are irregular, and the peak seasons can get a little crazy.

None really.

Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Indigo Books & Music full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Customers and laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Specific store management had poor management style.

Wonderful Experience

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative (IT) in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Organized management
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Morning meetings makes sure you are debriefed properly
    - Online training for the most part

Cons

- Long product training
    - Training done on a short time period

Flippin loved it

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great env
    good work place
    clean
    good people come and go
    its a book store
    great start up job

Cons

YOU CANT MOVE UP IN THE COMPANY
    low wage for wayyy too much work done

PAY US MORE AND FIX THE TAP ON YOU MACHINES AND FIX YOUR FLIPPIN SYSTEM OMG

Amazing

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great friendship with everyone, fun work place! A lot of teamwork as well as individual. Learn a lot of skills

Cons

Work hours. Managers are not on floor much.

Keep up the great work. Try and be more on floor with CER

Not perfect, but rewarding

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Customer Experience Manager

I worked at Indigo Books & Music full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For me, the books were the best part of the job, closely followed by the team I worked with. When my store closed they ended up treating me, and the other members of the management team, fairly, and even better than expected.

Cons

Not all stores had the same quality of management.
    Pay is adequate, but not equal to the responsibilities I had.
    Most frustrating aspect was the disconnect that the head office had for my store. Perhaps we were just an exception that didn't fit into the corporate picture as well as other stores.

The fastest way to higher pay is to come from outside the company. I witnessed someone get a position in my store where a new manager was paid more than an experienced manager at the same level in our store. While the new manager was good, the manager who had been with the company was better, and had been described more than once as the best manager in the district. Indigo needs to start finding ways to reward loyalty instead of punishing it.
    I was very happy with the time off policies and benefits packages.

Great for a Part-Time Job

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great if you want a part-time job to gain some retail experience. Nice pace of work, and low expectations for staff and managers. Nobody really cares if you show up and do nothing all day, in fact, it may even go unnoticed.

Cons

Trying to move up in the company is almost impossible. The pay is pretty bad in comparison to similar jobs. The management tend to be lazy or untrained. No consistency with work direction in terms of leadership.

Commend your staff for a job well done. Be proactive.

Good place to work, very low pay (minimum) for the knowledge and service expected

I worked at Indigo Books & Music part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-great store management (I worked in a semi-downtown Toronto location)
    -employees are not catty as they usually are in other retail stores
    -good work environment, not too busy, can take it easy and discover books which I love
    -always meeting interest people and fellow book lovers
    -manager very good at accomodating time off and vacation
    -leaders recognize your work
    -they are not pushy about sales. in fact they suggest not recommending books you don't know or haven't read about
    -staff are generally knowledgeable and intelligent
    -always many new events and releases happening, so it is not monotonous
    -cash register is very easy to work, the software is very easy to learn (picked it up in less than 10 minutes)
    -great system of being able to loan book that may be too expensive or you wouldn't necessarily want to buy

Cons

-irregular shifts
    -super annoying dress code (collar only shirts that make you look aged and outdated)
    -pretty terrible employee discount -- i can get the same rate if I order it online so what's the point??
    -extremely crappy pay

Overall: there can be a ton of great things about a company. However, if the pay is as low as Indigo likes it to be, there will always be a lot of turnover. If you want to retain good employees, try paying them something more than minimum wage. Also, change the collar only shirt policy. It's silly.

Great company - if you love books and aren't motivated by money!

I worked at Indigo Books & Music

Pros

Surround yourself with what you love most: books. If you are an avid reader and just looking for a part-time or full-time job to pay some bills, without having to rely on your income from Chapters to pay a mortgage, car payment or extravagant lifestyle, then this may be the job for you. Certainly moreso than a fast food chain or retail clothing store.

Cons

Minimum wage.
    No commission on book sales.

Reward your top sellers by offering $1 or $2 commission on each book sold.

Great brand, great people, but it's amazing anything gets done at head office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Indigo Books & Music full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Indigo works very hard to create a store experience that customers love, and the result is a strong brand that people are drawn to. The people at head office are also generally strong and good to work with. The office environment is relaxed and friendly, as a rule.

Cons

Management is almost entirely day-to-day. Any talk of "long term vision" is lip-service only, and will change. Executive management has no respect for, or interest in, the process of actually implementing change, and causes churn by redefining goals and needs ad hoc. The CEO changes her mind almost hourly, and costs the company enormous amount of money on last-minute direction changes. The Executives do a poor job of shielding their verticals from her interventions (they fear her themselves, as she would not hesitate to replace an agitator - I've seen it many times), and morale and engagement suffer. The company's favourable position is the result of the exploitation of passionate employees and not good management. There's far too much focus on aesthetic concerns, and not enough attention is paid to how things actually operate.

Recognise that Executives are not responsible for actually accomplishing anything - work takes time, planning and people, and saying "do this" isn't what gets it done. Collect information, build a plan and follow through. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks if it's too broken to function.