Individual Advocacy Group

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Brooks

no communication between corporate and house managers

DSP (Former Employee) Romeoville, IL

Prosthe office is full of kind and positive people. the support you are providing will mean a lot in the long run.

Conscorporate and house managers have little to no communication. i was told i would work some weekends and a set time frame each shift by corporate, but when i set my schedule with my house manager she told me schedules do not change and that i will be working every weekend. they should make the pay at least 15 per hour for the work that is asked to do..or there needs to be at least 2 DSPs per home - safety was a large part of the reason i did not feel comfortable remaining in this position. you train for a few days and then shadow for a full shift - i was not at all comfortable at my first day shadowing but i probably would have been more prepared if i would have done all of the training courses prior to shadowing. i was told by another DSP that you are told that there will always be at least 2 DSPs but that never happens - it is usually just one DSP.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more often with house managers and make sure corporate and house managers are telling new employees the same information. be up front with new employees of what to expect, instead of sending them to shadow and having them be surprised or uncomfortable. all of the training courses should be completed prior to a new employee entering a home.

Not a TRUE Human Service Organization

ProsLarge organization that seems financially stable as a non profit.
    Regional offices throughout the state of Illinois and in DC, this shows growth.
    Wonderful directors of regions in the state of Illinois.
    Direct care staff that truly care for the individuals that they serve.
    Willing to pay administrative staff well, with required education for the position.

ConsPoor communication skills in the corporate office.
    No supervision of regional directors/administrators.
    Executive Director does not seem very personable. No open door policy regardless of the verbal policy communicated by the corporate office.
    The DIstrict of Columbia region of the agency are all related.
    Unethical practices take place in the District of Columbia region and corporate office fails to investigate.
    Unprofessional house managers. House managers do not exude professioinalism nor personable attitudes that should be exhibited in the human service field.
    House managers are to work shifts along with us, but they often come in and walk out although their name is on the schedule.
    The region as a whole will not grow as it should due to the poor man power of the administrative staff.
    My current house manger is regarded as an administrative staff, but acts, talks and looks like a direct support worker with poor writing skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new region representation,

Unprofessional with poor leadership.

(Former Employee)

ProsCompany pays competitively compared to facilities offering similar services in the area.
    Working with the DD population is extremely rewarding. The individuals served were the only motivation to go to work.

ConsLeadership is extremely unprofessional. Two weeks notice does not exist. Despite having turned in two weeks notice with my resignation, I was subsequently laid off. The company lacks courtesy and professionalism in regards to staff.
    Staff morale seemed to be extremely low with many employees seeking employment elsewhere. A high turnover rate reflected this.
    Job duties and descriptions were unclear. Employees frequently being tasked with duties not included in their job description.
    Training is not conducted properly. There is no organization or structure with newly hired employees. This led to many mistakes being made and subsequent cover ups.
    With the high turnover rate, low employee satisfaction, poor training and rapid expansion (beyond reasonable means) the company is losing its foundation and is going to collapse inward on itself. All of this is being done at the expense of the individuals being served.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease see comments in "Cons" section

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Springfield, IL

ProsMost staff care about the individuals

ConsSenior Management micromanages, fires people without cause, HUGE into drama and gossip.
    They sell a great ideal but the day-to-day is much different.
    Management are bullies.
    If you value your career - stay far away from this organization.
    There is no trust and you are not allowed to do the job you were hired for.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Get a new Board of Directors who are actually engaged in what's going on.

Wonderful Individuals, but understaffed and stressful

Direct Support Personnel (Former Employee) Romeoville, IL

ProsThe individuals are amazing people to work with, and love you simply because you are there.
    Lots of great moments working with the individuals

Consunderstaffed!!! I was injured by a resident because I was the only staff there, when there was supposed to be at least two in the home.
    No time off of any kind until you work there for at least a year. This includes family matters, or if you get sick.
    Many house managers don't seem to care about the residents, just want a paycheck.
    They fire people for anything. Reporting that house staff are not doing their jobs will get you fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hire more staff who have experience in special education so they understand how to work with the residents.
    More flexibility, please offer paid time off to employees from day one, and it should be more than 5 a year.
    Take suggestions for improvement, and try to implement them, instead of firing people for speaking up.

Terrible

Direct Service Professional (Former Employee) Romeoville, IL

ProsHours-if you get a day shift
    Ability to help people with special needs

ConsLack of management
    Horrible pay and benifits
    Fired half of my training class within the first week
    They will fire you for the smallest thing
    5 pto days/year this includes vacation and sick time

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified people
    Stop firing people because you don't like their personality

Worked for Individual Advocacy Group? Contribute to the Community!