Individual Advocacy Group

David Brooks

QIDP

Current Employee - QIDP in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - QIDP in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping individuals with various disabilities, support from fellow staff and knowing you can make a difference in someone else's life.

Cons

CEO is hostile and no matter how hard you work she belittles you, curses at you and gives employees an obscene amount of unnecessary work...and does this in front of fellow employees. CEO needs to remember this agency is about the individuals...not her or looking good on paper.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to be trained on being professional and creating a healthy work environment.

2. Micromanagement and hostile work environment created by female CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group full-time

Pros

Good pay for jobs like this is this area around here, middle management worked well with direct care staff, individuals were awesome to work with

Cons

The woman who runs this company verbally abuses her employees by yelling and swearing at them, and blaming her actions on them, firing and demoting people without warning, everyone is afraid of her but scared to do anything because they need their job, and before I resigned the ceo said we had to go online to post positive reviews on these job sites because they were all so bad. Her co CEO does nothing but sees this every day

Advice to Management

High turnover is not going to stop until the woman who runs this company treats people with the respect employes deserve from their CEO instead of swearing and insults and threats and being berated all the time

3. Clinical Director

Former Employee - Clinical Director in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Clinical Director in Springfield, IL

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with this population is awesome! The staff were great and hard workers. The pay was higher than any other social service agency in IL.

Cons

CEO micro manages everything, uses unprofessional language, and berates/bullies everyone, CEO expects everyone to be available and work 24/7, high burn out rate, high turnover rate (even with high pay rates), high high stress environment created by CEO and counter part, every week you feel as if you are going to be fired

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and let managers, manage. Create policies that ensure clinical standards and DHS rules/regulations are followed to the utmost. Stop berating your staff they run your company.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - DSP in East Moline, IL
    Current Employee - DSP in East Moline, IL

Pros

I love working with the individuals. The individuals make my job so rewarding. The staff I work with are great team players. Management is supportive of our teams. The pay is great, higher than other agencies and the paid time off is great (4 weeks after 4 years). My supervisor is supportive in my professional growth by assigning me additional things to do and gives me the training I need to do my job.

Cons

No cons- individuals truly depend on you to be there for them. Some parents can be challenging to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue incentives of gift cards and tokens of appreciation.

6. Nightmare

Current Employee - DSP in Moline, IL

Pros

Working with the individuals. Watching them thrive and learn when staff has the time to give them the attention that they need. Also, working with several great coworkers.

Cons

Dangerous working conditions. There are never enough staff to safely deal with the often violent behaviors. The pay is way too low and the lack of communication with those in charge, cause very good employees to leave. High turn-over rate.

Advice to Management

Listen to those that are directly caring for your individuals. Give pay raises.

7. Mass Chaos!

Current Employee - House Manager in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - House Manager in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees band together to support each other because they all know how bad it is here!

Cons

The woman who is the head of this organization is mean, insulting, and just plain shady in her business practices--and it trickles down to the people working below her. She has no problem exploiting the individuals that she is supposed to care about to make money off of them, particularly by not providing the appropriate staff to take care of them. One of these days, this agency is going to get sued because this woman uses profanity at people, calls them names, denies them their benefits, and loves to embarrass people in front of a large group. The administrators are afraid of her and won't stick up for their own staff because she will in turn threaten to fire or demote them. DSPs work in unsafe conditions (with clients that can hurt us) so that she can save money and then hire a new administrator to pay six figures so that they can tell her how great she is. Nobody gets a raise and time off is denied or they make you feel bad about using it. The administration doesn't care if you have a family or a personal life. You must put her company first! Staff go to work with stress induced headaches, stomach aches and illnesses because they are so afraid. The head of this organization never says a kind word about anyone doing a good job or having a good idea. If someone does have a good idea, she (the owner) will take credit for it. She might have a party for staff but then we have to bring our own food and listen to her talk about herself for an hour.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO!! Lose all of the administrators (regional directors) and let the front line staff have a say in how things get done.

8. Nightmare

Current Employee - DSP in Moline, IL

Pros

Watching the smiles of clients that may be lucky enough to benefit from time with those of us that care.

Cons

Unsafe and unsanitary working conditions. Horrible communication, lies and extremely low pay.

Advice to Management

Change management team!

9. Low Pay

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The Individuals, and most of your Co-workers.

Cons

If you are a black woman that is a DSP most likely you will not get a raise. Upper management does not give two red cent about how long you've worked for the company. They will pay someone brand new way more then they will pay a loyal employee. You'll find out after 6months of being here that this company isn't for their employees. I've been here for years, and im still at the same pay as I started. I've seen people get paid way more money then me, and they didn't do a good job at all, plus majority of them didn't even last past a full year. I am beginning to HATE upper management with a passion. If they all died tomorrow I would throw a party in celebration of their death. I can't wait to find another full time job

Advice to Management

I don't have anything nice to say to these filthy animals

10. Worst Social Service Agency of all time.

Former Employee - DSP
    Former Employee - DSP

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the individuals themselves was rewarding at times. Being able to see their growth, although usually very minimal, made it seem as if you were making a difference in their lives.

Cons

Where to start? Understaffed, TERRIBLE upper management, lack of professionalism, no communication between house managers and employees, micro-managing led to many headaches, lack of consistency in treatment and care programs, terrible hours, terrible pay, lack of support, UNSAFE WORKING CONDITIONS!!! I worked there for about four months in one of the WORST homes in the agency. Changes in staff, individuals being moved and swapped from house to house, and medication changes led to EXTREME behaviors that were completely uncalled for and unsafe. I was attacked - bitten, hit, kicked, and scratched to the point of bruising and bleeding four times in a matter of two months. I couldn't take it anymore. This job drains you - physically and emotionally. It drives people to insanity. IAG is a TERRIBLE agency to work for. RUN, RUN, RUN!!! They claim that they care about their individuals, but if they cared about their employees at all the agency may operate better. Employee morale does not exist.

Advice to Management

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! Treat your employees with respect and dignity. Maybe then you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate!

no communication between corporate and house managers

Former Employee - DSP in Romeoville, IL
    Former Employee - DSP in Romeoville, IL

I worked at Individual Advocacy Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the office is full of kind and positive people. the support you are providing will mean a lot in the long run.

Cons

corporate and house managers have little to no communication. i was told i would work some weekends and a set time frame each shift by corporate, but when i set my schedule with my house manager she told me schedules do not change and that i will be working every weekend. they should make the pay at least 15 per hour for the work that is asked to do..or there needs to be at least 2 DSPs per home - safety was a large part of the reason i did not feel comfortable remaining in this position. you train for a few days and then shadow for a full shift - i was not at all comfortable at my first day shadowing but i probably would have been more prepared if i would have done all of the training courses prior to shadowing. i was told by another DSP that you are told that there will always be at least 2 DSPs but that never happens - it is usually just one DSP.

Advice to Management

communicate more often with house managers and make sure corporate and house managers are telling new employees the same information. be up front with new employees of what to expect, instead of sending them to shadow and having them be surprised or uncomfortable. all of the training courses should be completed prior to a new employee entering a home.

RSS Feed </> Embed