Indot

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
3.1

Mike Reed

A decent place to serve the public

I worked at Indot

Pros

You get a chance to feel that you are part of something with a real history of making life better for the people of Indiana. You are a true public servant, unlike your political masters. The benefits are decent enough to make up for the lower salaries.

Cons

Management is typically made of of inept politicians. "Where the hell did this guy come from?" is a question often asked when discussing political managers. The level of professionalism and technical knowledge among upper management began declining in the late 1980's and is at an all-time low now.

Depending on the District or Division you work in, your opportunities for advancement can be limited. The are excellent in some Divisions but are almost non-existent in others. Districts are similar in their uneven opportunities.

The governor should appoint upper-level managers who have a background in the industry and the agency. Too many upper-level managers over the years have been failed bankers and former salesmen.

State Agency with Benefits!

Current Employee - Highway Engineer I in Seymour, IN
    Current Employee - Highway Engineer I in Seymour, IN

I have been working at Indot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. The district office I am employed with promotes a culture of honesty, diligence, and hard work through all its employees. You will not find a better work to life balance anywhere. The benefits are second to none. I consider my work peers to be my family.

Cons

There are some departments that are non-responsive and buried in unneeded layers of over-management. Some departments are also so horrible understaffed, that deadlines approach and pass unattended.

Fix the over-managed and undermanned departments. Adjust policies requiring those particular departments such that one or two PE's are responsible for approved designs (instead of 5 to 6). Acquire more resources (hire more people) for undermanned departments.

Great place to work if you just want to have a job to go to until retirement

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, opportunities to get experience in different departments, easy to get time off depending on if you had a halfway decent boss or not. Numerous state paid holidays that you wouldnt get off anywhere else such as columbus day and election days

Cons

Office culture - if you're in good with upper management you will succeed, if not you will probably not get promoted. They will tell you "there's no money" to give you a raise but hire in their friends, neighbors and family at higher salaries than you

I enjoyed the working experience at INDOT.

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are all friendly and willing to help with any questions I have. Our program manager and supervisor are also very responsible to my intern project.

Cons

I was the only person dealing with programming in our department. I could not find anyone to help me with related problems.

Getting A Good Screw From Laporte District

Former Employee - Inspector in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Inspector in South Bend, IN

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LAPORTE INDOT does not have VALUES OR ETHICS in UPPER MANAGEMENT to speak of !

Cons

Lying, Deceit, Sabotage careers, Trucks & equipment that are unsafe to be on the road & you are forced to operate or you will be fired NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS YOU WILL NOT GET UNEMPLOYMENT !!! THE MOST CORRUPT PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED!

Hire people that know what that are doing instead of people that were in PUBLIC RELATIONS & make them the head of departments like CONSTRUCTION & MAINTENANCE

Very efficient and well ran government department

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many given opportunities for advancement. Open discussions between upper and lower management within the department

Cons

Having limitations due to government policy & procedures; rules and regulations; making changes every 8 years.

Allow some positions to work out of their homes.

Professional but relaxed atmosphere; good people who care

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional but relaxed atmosphere. Best Agency in the State of Indiana to work for. Caring co-workers; Concerned with quality work in addition to quantity but not at the expense of quality. Family atmosphere. Feels like one large team, no matter where in the state you are located. I miss INDOT and should never have left.

Cons

Some long term employees (with 15 or more years of service) feel a sense of entitlement to being promoted, regardless of their work ethic. Not all long term employees feel this way, but those that do tend to be negative and disgruntled, and often state their dissatisfaction openly. But overall, INDOT folks are great to work with.

Share major changes with employees ahead of time and be sure to involve those affected so they can prepare with greater efficiency.

Pleasant, enjoyable,

Former Employee - Administrative Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

advancement opportunities, good benefits, holidays, vacation day.

Cons

politics, too rigid, communication between upper management and lower level staff

Keep up the good work!

Fulfilling workplace

Former Employee - HE2 in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - HE2 in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Indot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

7.5 hour work day, Acceptable benefits, Safe workplace, on-site cafeteria, free parking, educational provisions.

Cons

Politics, Politics, Politics. Job posting requirements are ignored more than half of the time by upper management.

A waste of my life

Current Employee - Engineer Co-Op in LaPorte, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer Co-Op in LaPorte, IN

I have been working at Indot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many field people are nice and politics of administration change every 4 years
    good work/life balance

Cons

They fire people for ridiculous reasons not related to work
    The work is mind numbing
    The pay is shitty
    Few opportunities for overtime

If you intend to keep/attract innovative or dynamic people, you need to let people do their jobs

Indot Photos