Indot

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Reed

Very efficient and well ran government department

Administrative Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsMany given opportunities for advancement. Open discussions between upper and lower management within the department

ConsHaving limitations due to government policy & procedures; rules and regulations; making changes every 8 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow some positions to work out of their homes.

Getting A Good Screw From Laporte District

Inspector (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsLAPORTE INDOT does not have VALUES OR ETHICS in UPPER MANAGEMENT to speak of !

ConsLying, Deceit, Sabotage careers, Trucks & equipment that are unsafe to be on the road & you are forced to operate or you will be fired NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS YOU WILL NOT GET UNEMPLOYMENT !!! THE MOST CORRUPT PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that know what that are doing instead of people that were in PUBLIC RELATIONS & make them the head of departments like CONSTRUCTION & MAINTENANCE

Professional but relaxed atmosphere; good people who care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProfessional but relaxed atmosphere. Best Agency in the State of Indiana to work for. Caring co-workers; Concerned with quality work in addition to quantity but not at the expense of quality. Family atmosphere. Feels like one large team, no matter where in the state you are located. I miss INDOT and should never have left.

ConsSome long term employees (with 15 or more years of service) feel a sense of entitlement to being promoted, regardless of their work ethic. Not all long term employees feel this way, but those that do tend to be negative and disgruntled, and often state their dissatisfaction openly. But overall, INDOT folks are great to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare major changes with employees ahead of time and be sure to involve those affected so they can prepare with greater efficiency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant, enjoyable,

Administrative Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosadvancement opportunities, good benefits, holidays, vacation day.

Conspolitics, too rigid, communication between upper management and lower level staff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Fulfilling workplace

HE2 (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Pros7.5 hour work day, Acceptable benefits, Safe workplace, on-site cafeteria, free parking, educational provisions.

ConsPolitics, Politics, Politics. Job posting requirements are ignored more than half of the time by upper management.

A waste of my life

Engineer Co-Op (Current Employee) LaPorte, IN

ProsMany field people are nice and politics of administration change every 4 years
    good work/life balance

ConsThey fire people for ridiculous reasons not related to work
    The work is mind numbing
    The pay is shitty
    Few opportunities for overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you intend to keep/attract innovative or dynamic people, you need to let people do their jobs

A culture that doesn't seem to value communication.

Civil Engineer (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat personnel who are dedicated to their jobs.

ConsMillions are wasted because of constraints placed on personnel by governor's office and executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your people and what they do. Your employees have a great deal of expertise. Ask for their guidance form time to time.

Invest some time in training for your employees.

I leaned a lot however the work environment is very laid back, they seem to do things at the last moment

Accounting Intern (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Proslaid back, a lot of holidays, days off from work with pay, not much work. Hour long breaks for food, you can take longer if you like, no one really cares.

Cons"i'll get to it" type of attidude, which might make you lazy in the long run. Overall a place to work if your old and do not want to travel or do much.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a seperate program for the interns where they can actually interact and learn. Set up various minor projects for them.

Okay job for the complacent type...

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to work with little stress. Actually enjoyable most of the time. Short hours and good vacation/holiday benefits. Most of the people are really enjoyable to work with too.

ConsNot enough pay for the job. Too much political bs to deal with as far as major decisions. Benefits not bad but not nearly as good as they used to be. All in all just too slow for me....people are good but the workload tends to get pushed on those that will do something and those that won't do anything just slip under the radar.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the politics involved with it even though it is a state agency. If it could be run like a true business and not like a political trading card it would be much better!

Preservation Engineer

ProsNo real pressure easy hours

ConsParanoid coworkers always worried about job and what they say to people.

Worked for Indot? Contribute to the Community!