IndyMac Bancorp Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
45 reviews filtered by

1. Avoid like the Plague!!!

I have been working at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

IndyMac Bancorp is now OneWest Bank. There have been some good changes made such as management. I guess they realize what they were doing wasn't working and needed to do something different.

Cons

Where do I begin? The environment was so toxic there - talk about watching your back! The managers there are some of the wost I've ever encountered. Please keep in mind that these managers are still there so watch out!

Change everything that you did as Indy Mac to something else. Some of you should consider firing yourselves. Change is necessary.

2. Good place to work before taken over by FDIC

Former Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

Easy to move up the ladder in relatively short period of time. Overall i was satisfied with senior management and their abilities to get things done quickly when needed

Cons

There was too much middle management who mostly sat around in meetings all day but weren't ever contributing to the end product. Paying for parking and office politics

Give the employees more value, the ones that are left have been through quite a bit for this company and deserve to be compensated well for this. Don't make employees pay for parking!

3. Senior Analyst.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

The going was good only during the good time. When the going was bad, it was bad.

Cons

No future, especially when the FDIC took over the company.

Listen to the line workers, customers, all people who is linked to the company for improvement ... and try to incorporate suggested improvements.

5. IndyMac - Easy but very average

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative

I have been working at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

IndyMac is a very laid back place to work. Your fellow employees will be a joy to work with but the pay is on the lower end. It is easy to get comfotable here, but at some point while working here you will realize that you have not progressed much or gained news skills that will make you competitive in the job market. If you are satisified with your pay and title, it is a good place to be. If you are looking to grow as an employee and climb the ladder, DONT WORK HERE

Cons

low pay and limitied upward mobility

create programs to develop and promote employees. Give better bonuses

6. OK Experience, but a lot of initiative taken upon yourself for personal growth in your career

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

In terms of IT, the best reason to work there is the numerous resources that is afforded for the company.

Cons

The downside is the excessive specialization of every department. So, it is tough for a person to personally understand how to create an enterprise system.

Reevaluate the value of every employee. See if more involvement can lead to better growth in the company.

7. Looking for a chill part time job while gaining skills for the future?

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

They have fairly easy bonuses, and its a really chill job. You do learn professional skills that are necessary for any office position. If you wish to continue in the banking industry this job also teaches you about important information on IRA's, CD's and FDIC.

Cons

There really is not much opportunity to move up, or to get a raise.

A more organized training process is much needed.

8. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

It's a good place to start off your career. The managers in our department are great with letting us take time off. Easy job. Great HQ location

Cons

Overworked employees, health benefits, PTO accural, not big bonuses, no OT available, no training

Try to change culture of a company. Try to compensate emplyoees more with what they are worth.

9. don't bother applying unless you've applied everywhere else first and are really desperate for a job

Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

If you couldn't find a job anywhere else

Cons

Senior management has no idea how to run a company and doesn't begin to know what employees need. Management constantly talks down to the employees and calls them "Professionals" while treating them like children.

There's so much potential at this company and it's all being wasted. Speak to the employees that are on the front lines and stop making decisions based on experience that has no relevance in this market. Your support personnel are being paid more than your sales people who are starving with their antiquated 100% commission pay plans. You can't expect anyone to earn a living based on pay plans created during the boom. You can't expect good talent to stick around when you treat them like children and don't give them the opportunity to produce and earn a living.

10. not a good company

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

closer to home, near metrolink

Cons

the company is cheap in term of salary, benefits such as 401k, parking fees, profit sharing and raise
    the company is obsessed with performance evaluation, and tests given to new hires

I left the company in April. The management was definitely undesirable. A great company does not need to be stingy about parking, benefits and excessive employee performance evaluation

Indymac -- some managers are good but senior management sucks

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Pasadena, CA

I worked at IndyMac Bancorp

Pros

I got a lot of positive feedback from my immediate supervisors when I was there. All of my immediate supervisors were supportive. One even helped me get a different position within the company when senior management terminated the position that I was in.

Cons

Company was in serious trouble when I was there. You go to work and never know when your last day is going to be. Any day you can be fired, even if you are doing a great job. I almost got laid off twice. The first time, I got an email on Wednesday informing me that I wouldn't have a job come Monday. So in other words, I had two days to find a new job. Another time I narrowly avoided being laid off - - my immediate manager told found out through the rumour mill that senior management was looking for reductions in my department so I found a job two weeks before I was scheduled to be terminated.

Stop dealing with these stupid subprime loans.