Inflection

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
4.3

Matthew Monahan

Great first company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Inflection

Pros

Inflection gives fresh grads the chance to work on real problems and develop skill sets critical for working in the tech industry in Silicon Valley. It is truly a unique opportunity. The culture is warm and friendly and wants very much to develop the skills of all of its employees.

Cons

Unfortunately, Inflection focuses on hiring fresh grads a little too much and it has created a company where the senior level team is a mere 2 or 3 years out of college. You will find yourself reporting to someone with 1-2 more years work experience with you and only experience at Inflection. It creates a strange myopic view where there is only one way of doing anything and little innovation. It is hard to learn after about 2 years because you have reached the same level as your managers.

Hire more senior employees with diverse work experience to elevate innovation.

Good first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches, good healthcare insurance options, work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Cons

Indecisiveness my management, spending too much time on trying to make things "just right" and at the end lose focus.

Grow up

Comfortable but not a good place to grow

I worked at Inflection full-time

Pros

- Good, free, healthy lunch
    - Work from home up to 2 days a week
    - Relatively lax expectations and deadlines
    - Hours are relatively predictable 9:45ish to 5ish, and rarely did I find many people staying late
    - Fringe perks are nice: Caltrain pass, offsites/parties/happy hours
    - Nice office with good walking paths nearby
    - Can be a fun environment
    - Between benefits and work/life balance, generally feel well-treated by the company
    - Generally hire people that have a good attitude, and that helps a lot!
    - People are encouraged to go for walks, which helps take some stress out of the day and helps build connections between employees
    - Leadership is surprisingly supportive of side projects

Cons

- Engineering management doesn't seem motivated to evolve. It's like they got a good first version out and then never wanted to really build a modern platform. Lots of old .NET code. I think they were doing exciting stuff many years ago, but not so much anymore.
    - Some projects seemed doomed to be failures from the beginning, and despite feedback on that front, management decided to continue pouring resources into them.
    - High attrition, even for the valley. To compensate, Inflection hires a swath of fresh grads every year. The overall maturity level is somewhat low as a result. More importantly, I think the people who are serious about their careers realize that Inflection is not a good place to be long term, and they could be learning and growing faster somewhere else. So the good people tend to get out within a year or so. Those that remain seem to be content with the Inflection way. Another factor contributing to attrition is the fact that Inflection hires new grads who are still figuring out their career path, so many of them transition out when they find their calling.
    - People search is a bit creepy. It doesn't feel good to tell people what your company does, and then receive a strange look in return.
    - Favoritism and cliques.
    - Company values are good on paper, but I didn't feel they had much bearing on the behavior of Inflection or it's employees. Company definition of culture seems focused on work-life balance and perks, rather than a code of business and interpersonal conduct.
    - Pay is acceptable, not great. As an entire package of benefits and work/life balance though, I felt taken care of.
    - I think the nice work life balance/work-from-home benefit and the generally lax deadlines, while awesome, lead to complacency, and make for a job that is maybe too cushy.
    - Some members of the team, including a few in leadership positions, seem checked out.

If you are considering working for Inflection, I think you need to ask yourself -- what do I want to get out of this? If the answer is to be comfortable and have fun, and not feel too pushed, I would say go for it. You can also teach yourself a lot on your work from home days if you are motivated. If you want to be more aggressive about building a strong skillset, learning rapidly, and building a reputation, I would say look elsewhere in the Valley.

By national standards, Inflection is hands-down an awesome place to work. By Silicon Valley standards, I think there are better places out there to build a career.

I had some good memories there, though I became dissatisfied with the rate of learning and career growth. Having more technical experts who can serve as mentors might help.

A unique place to work.

Current Employee - Member Services Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Member Services Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks - lunch and snacks provided, swag and recognition. The bonuses are achievable. Supervisors are helpful and willing to coach and train to help me succeed. There are plenty of opportunities to advance my career here. Management is good at communicating new directions and changes that affect our job. I feel like they do care about the employees being happy at work.

Cons

The attendance policy is very strict. I don't like to feel that I have to worry about keeping my job if I get sick. It is hard to balance the need to provide good customer service with the requirement that refunds are kept to a minimum.

When Someone Offers You a Seat On a Rocket Ship, You Get On

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Accelerated growth opportunities with no artificial barriers to the impact you can make. Everyone is hired as a star player and that expectation drives everyone to perform at a very high level. Being around smart people just makes you smarter and that is only matched by the kindness of everyone around you.

On the product front, a lot of changes have been made to support continued improvements in customer experience - makes you feel good that you are doing right by our customers.

Cons

There are a good number of women in middle-management and emerging leadership positions but only one woman on the executive team - hoping that the women@inflection group and continued support by CEO will drive female additions to the executive team.

Work from home perk is a great way to promote balance but can be hard to hold a meeting on a Tuesday when you have to get everyone on a Skype call instead of meeting in person.

Best place to 'Grow' professionally after graduation

Current Employee - Product Management Associate in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management Associate in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Inflection full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Fun atmosphere
    - Smart, helpful people
    - Good Perks + WFH flexibility
    - Ever-growing Scope of interesting projects
    - No micro-management

Cons

This is a "take your own initiative" workplace. No one will micro-manage/push you, but if you wish to grow, people surely guide/encourage you in the right way.

Inflection is a fast-growing, considerate, and profitable place to work!

Current Employee - Retention Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Retention Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Inflection truly cares about its employees. They provide many company perks and an honorable salary. Inflection believes that honesty and excellence make for a great business.

Cons

Training is extensive, as the job does require mastery of product knowledge and policy. The privacy policy does entail some restrictions while on the job.

Growth Encouraged

Current Employee - Privacy Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Privacy Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Inflection full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company provides lunch everyday. Monthly performance and attendance bonus! Christmas bonus! Inflections culture promotes both personal and professional growth. I've learned so much from Inflection that I feel like I'm not the same person I was when I started. Even as an entry level employee I've had a few conversations with the CEO.

Cons

Expectations at Inflection are high. You have to be willing to consistently work hard and put in the effort if you want to stick around and especially if you ever expect to move up. This can be a good thing, but can also add to your stress levels. It all depends on your work ethic.

Gym memberships would be the cherry on top!

A Great Starter

Former Employee - Director, Online Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Online Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Inflection full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most important message - you're not going to get very much out of Inflection if you're not willing to work and push for growth and learning. Training and opportunities aren't set in stone and often times non-existent. You have to be proactive, assertive, and eager to learn. Being analytical is great, but making it actionable is key.

Growth opportunities - a ton of growth opportunity if you're a 'go-getter'. Different roles will have different ceilings, so there is no guarantee that you will reach you life's potential at Inflection, but there's still plenty to learn and do if you seek it.
     Perks and Support - there are great perks at the company and plenty of support... IF YOU ACTIVELY SEEK IT. Everyone's busy, everyone's got a job and Inflection is no exception. You will not get the support you want or need if you aren't proactive. With that said, there are a number of smart and experienced people at the company, use it to grow yourself and the company.
     Get it done - if you want to do more and try out different things, certain teams will allow you to wear multiple hats. As long as you establish your track record of being very competent in your role, there are opportunities for you to tackle projects beyond your scope.

Cons

Growth - it's both a pro and con at Inflection. Certain roles will see no real upward movement. This isn't the same as compensation, where there is still upside even in the same role. But as with all start-ups, go for more equity early on.
    Middle management - there really aren't any great middle managers. Middle managers being defined as not individual contributors nor VP/C level.
      Cross-team collaboration - it has gone from rare to nearly non-existent in the past year. There may be plans to change that, but something is fundamentally flawed when marketing should be involved in the process and could have very valuable input for product during a new site design and launch.
      Shared product vision - anyone outside of top product folks will have very little insight into what the company or products are up to. Only by getting close with PMs or having a direct contact with upper management will you have any idea of what is going on, other than high level initiatives.

Please provide stronger support to employees with several years of experience versus new grads. I've been involved in managing both entry-level and experienced hires and the feedback is clear - the experienced hires need more. They need more vision, more role clarity, more growth opportunities and more management.
      Be a visionary and inspirational - don't talk high level all the time, get into the details. Answer why, inspire why the people should be excited about tomorrow, next month, next year and on.
      Finally, communicate more to teams that could be effected by your decisions. Certain teams need a longer runway to make changes and the sooner they know, the less wasted time there will be. The last thing someone wants is to be working on a project and at the 90% mark have to scrap it.

Great team! Always learning!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Inflection full-time

Pros

Inflection has the perfect culture, full of nice and smart people that I learn from. Everyday I come to the office and learn something new. As a designer you have a lot of room to grow and develop your skills. Design is definitely a critical role at inflection and you feel it every day!

Cons

Inflection is focused on investing in junior talent, although a higher balance between Junior and Senior, would be beneficial for the organization.

The salary could be more competitive.