Info-Tech Research Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joel McLean

Good Company, Good Jobs, Good People... Okay Culture

ProsLocation is great (Toronto Office).

ConsThe company as a whole is a little full of itself.

The potential to be great

IT (Current Employee) Ontario, CA

ProsGreat business model, wonderful people. Type of company where one person can have an impact and where one person can see the results of their efforts.

ConsLong Hours, Poor Pay. Inconsistent Management Team, which means some managers are very weak and some are quite strong, but it is always the strong managers who end up shouldering the burden.
    Executive Team is quite inexperienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management needs to work on the experience and skills they bring to the table and be willing to listen to and accept feedback.

Disengaged workforce, arbitrary rewards, no direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsPerfect if looking to retire and not interested in advancement or looking for a short term position (<1 year).

Cons1) Incredibly disengaged workforce based on latest survey. No real action being taken to correct the situation.
    2) Performance evaluations and promotions arbitrary.
    3) Preferential treatment given to a chosen few who ingratiate themselves with the owner directly, even if they under-perform.
    4) Consistently asks more from employees with no consideration for impact, nor compensation.
    5) Performance rules and compensations changed frequently (multiple times per year) with no consultation and then blame staff when behavior changes to new rules, or worse, just become disengaged.
    6) No quantitative metrics for success at senior levels, often blaming staff or managers for failures.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified individuals and compensate individuals based on quantitative performance metrics, not arbitrary lobbying efforts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highs and lows, but eventually needed out

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsYou could make decent money, if you got good leads or some decent accounts to renew.. and they paid.

ConsIt's a hybrid call centre and boys club. A small business mentality with a growing employee base. Drinking at work is encouraged, and in a really cliquey bros club way. Lots of people clearly are only there due to relationship with senior management and not skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach for HR professionals. Bring in qualified competent management.

Positive outlook overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKnowledgeable and motivated team of business-savvy individuals. Good workforce diversity. Double-digit growth year-on-year. Expanding rapidly into more lines of service.

ConsManagement keeps changing. The structure at the top is very volatile. No possibility of partnership, which does not motivate one to stick around for the long term.

worst, sad, everything was a lie.

Sales (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosnone really. they make themselves look like a good company. the management and they way they treat employees is worse then you can imagine.

Conseverything, honestly there is not one good thing about working here. I am interview with a few companies and if they do not give me an offer by Jan 2014 I will simply quite.

Advice to Senior Managementfire all management, they are there because they have been with company for many years. All new management is hired because they can not get jobs anywhere else and are willing to work for 40k a year.

Small company, laid back culture and work practices

ProsSmall company, laid back culture and work practices

ConsSingle owner, heavy owner involvement, small company,

Excellent company to work for!

Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Excellent company culture: the leadership team is very passionate about the firm, and the employees are a great group of people to work with. A lot of employees (particularly in the Research department) have become close friends outside of work. We have a 'Ministry of Fun' that sponsors all kinds of fun company events and contributes to the great culture. Despite being a mid-sized business, there's not much 'stereotypical corporate BS' to deal with.
    -Lots of room for growth: the company is successful and expanding rapidly, so there's a lot of potential to move into new areas of the company.
    -Compensation is generally very good, although your mileage may vary depending on department and credentials.
    -If you're interested in technology, this is the place to be!

Cons-Though not necessarily a con per se, be prepared for a LOT of ongoing changes. As other reviewers have mentioned, the leadership team is constantly reinventing our product offering and internal processes. A lot of these changes are for the best, but they require a significant degree of adaptability. Things here are always in motion, and if you're not used to a constant influx of ongoing changes, it's easy to be overwhelmed. Senior management expectations are that employees will rapidly adapt to change.
    -Due to focus on product and process changes, management hasn't spent much time on career development strategy for a while. There's lots of opportunities throughout the company, but you need to find them yourself. It's easy to stagnate at the company if you stay within the bounds of their current career structures.
    -Company culture is great in my opinion, but may not be for everyone. If you're introverted and "not at work to make friends", you probably aren't the ideal fit. Most of the people who are successful here are sociable and enjoy the company's "work hard play hard" mantra.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great company culture - this is why a lot of people in Toronto love the firm. Ensure that changes and rationale continue to be communicated clearly to employees. Some renewed emphasis on the career structures in Research and Sales would be nice, as many employees are of the opinion that moving up the career ladder in these departments in any meaningful sense takes far too long.

No corporate BS, a real TEAM

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Corporate BS messaging is non-existent...the leadership execs talk straight about what they are planning to do and why, and it's visible in the day-to-day work that follows any announcement

- Bonus is clearly outlined, and there's no weasel words around "Corporate Performance" as a contributor to YOUR bonus. Your bonus is dependent on YOUR performance.

- Fast-moving company on an aggressive growth path. You can learn immensely fast or you can choose to leave!

- "Don't Be A Jerk" is one of the key parts of the culture, and even mentioned upfront on the Employee Handbook. If you're coming from an intensely political company, or from a company where you have power over your team due to your senior position alone, then Info-Tech is not for you.

- You'll fit right in if you're a tech geek, are into science-fiction and gaming, have Mensa potential, and follow current trends. Broad knowledge and deep expertise all over, even in some of the 20-something folks!

Cons- Priorities change super-fast, but understandable as this is a rapidly-growing mid-sized company trying to get into the Big League.

- You are expected to be social outside office hours...works for most of the bachelor and bachelorette staff, but a wee bit tough for married folks with families. Again, this is purely subjective, as I know of very successful people who totally avoid the after-hours drinks (often company-paid!)

- Very young company, especially in Research and Sales. Sometimes you feel you've walked onto a college campus! If you suffer from age complexes, then Info-Tech is not for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Sales to involve the client-facing individuals when making CIO-level calls. We lose a lot of business because Account Managers often do not include subject-matter experts on these calls.

Culture

ProsWork hard play hard - great work life balance

ConsA lot of of growth and changes happening - must be adaptable

Worked for Info-Tech Research Group? Contribute to the Community!