Info-Tech Research Group

Info-Tech Research Group Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014

Joel McLean

Hard-working, hard-playing, collaborative environment with just a touch of chaos

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Bright and savvy people all around
    - Culture that drives you to continuously learn new things and challenge your comfort zone
    - Fast expanding client base, good traction in the market, thanks to the rather unique delivery model
    - Overall, a great training ground for a future CIO/CTO

Cons

- Practice Leaders still need to get their act together when it comes to project resourcing; sometimes we end up sending whoever happens to be available, rather than their skill-set match with client needs, or with experience in the client vertical.
    - Difficult to forecast travel obligations more than 3-4 weeks in advance; hence personal/social plans have to take a back seat, especially in Consulting
    - The org structure is still in flux, and this is creating uncertainties and possibly even anxiety among some staff

- Get the Practice Leaders to agree on a consistent staffing plan for engagements, and forecast requirements further down the pipeline. This will give staff more flexibility to plan their life around the travel commitments and also give time for training in new areas.
    - Just get the org structure changes over and done with, quickly.

The potential to be great

Current Employee - IT  in  Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - IT in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group

Pros

Great business model, wonderful people. Type of company where one person can have an impact and where one person can see the results of their efforts.

Cons

Long Hours, Poor Pay. Inconsistent Management Team, which means some managers are very weak and some are quite strong, but it is always the strong managers who end up shouldering the burden.
    Executive Team is quite inexperienced.

Senior Management needs to work on the experience and skills they bring to the table and be willing to listen to and accept feedback.

Interesting Ride

Former Employee - Research Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team of smart people, looking into interesting topics and providing clients with solid, practical advice. Consistent delivery of results to the clients.

Cons

Difficult to understand advancement potential and path. Work Life balance can become a challenge with meeting deadlines. Stable structure would enhance long term commitment.

The sales model is fantastic, the team is energetic, but the research team needs clear direction, structure and a defined career path with professional development to make long term careers an option within Info-Tech Research.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started off great .. progressed worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Environment in my localized office space is great. The whole office is fairly laid back on dress code and formality. Tons of F BOMBS throughout the office.

Cons

No career progression.
    Less then market pay.
    They expect the world, but give next to no concessions for additional overtime you have given.

Start respecting your staff. You can't afford to continue to turn them out the door and bringing more in. It is costing you more then you think.

A Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Business Development Associate  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I ended up earning over $50,000 in my first full year of work (Mind you, I come from an extensive sales background and I earned more than this at my previous job. The majority of employees from my training class earned just over $30,000)
    - The building itself is rather stunning
    - Enjoyable extracurricular activities

Cons

- Call centre atmosphere (Get ready for headsets to smile and dial)
    - Low compensation package for the average employee
    - Broken promises from upper management (Originally promised a managerial role upon being hired)
    - Very little guidance from department managers
    - An overall lack of professionalism
    - HORRIBLE location (Info Tech is located in one of the worst areas of London, Ontario. I was originally raised in the GTA and felt more uncomfortable here than in the worst areas of Toronto.

I left a position where I achieved a great deal of success to be apart of the ever growing Info Tech Research Group. I only did this based on the recommendation of friends who had great positions with the company. Upon being hired, I was promised a managerial position as I have over 10 years of sales experience on a regional level. Apparently they filled the position and felt I would be a major asset in a business development role. I ended up working along side juvenile and inexperienced workers who lacked any sales experience. Despite putting forth excellent numbers during my first year with the company, I was frankly embarrassed to be apart of Info Tech and was hired by a marketing company in Toronto. Goodbye, call centre.

- Rather than tell your employees to make the company some money, you should take the time to efficiently coach them with proven methods that yield positive results. I ended up being more of a coach to those who surrounded me than my actual Sales Manager. Oddly enough, the Sales Manager in question had much less experience than myself and a few other employees he oversaw.
    - Instead of just acquiring youthful workers, go out and hire individuals who have a proven track record of success. No, this does not include coming in first place during a Grade 11 basketball tournament. (Really wish I was making this up)

Bought into the "culture," but it was all a lie.

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time

Pros

Company successes are celebrated with alcohol.
    Employees get a ~$100 Christmas present every year & there is a wild Christmas party.
    Every year there is a "Fun Day" where employees gather, play games all day, and then drink/eat bar food.

Cons

Poor/absent succession planning.
    Poor work/life balance.
    Poor compensation relative to the industry.
    Management/HR do not genuinely care about their employees or show professionalism, integrity, or ethical behavior.
    Masquerades behind a "best workplaces image and a "we are awesome" culture that belies real operational problems, and serves to snare and squander talented, intelligent people.
    Company culture smacks of Napoleon complex.

Treat employees like human beings.
    Strive for work/life balance before continual product/process improvement. These things will come with better balance.
    Parties and presents will not pacify dissatisfied and disengaged employees.
    "Toxic" employees don't infiltrate the company culture. They are born there from toxic company practices. Employee dissatisfaction is a warning that something is wrong.

Disengaged workforce, arbitrary rewards, no direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perfect if looking to retire and not interested in advancement or looking for a short term position (<1 year).

Cons

1) Incredibly disengaged workforce based on latest survey. No real action being taken to correct the situation.
    2) Performance evaluations and promotions arbitrary.
    3) Preferential treatment given to a chosen few who ingratiate themselves with the owner directly, even if they under-perform.
    4) Consistently asks more from employees with no consideration for impact, nor compensation.
    5) Performance rules and compensations changed frequently (multiple times per year) with no consultation and then blame staff when behavior changes to new rules, or worse, just become disengaged.
    6) No quantitative metrics for success at senior levels, often blaming staff or managers for failures.

Hire qualified individuals and compensate individuals based on quantitative performance metrics, not arbitrary lobbying efforts.

Highs and lows, but eventually needed out

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You could make decent money, if you got good leads or some decent accounts to renew.. and they paid.

Cons

It's a hybrid call centre and boys club. A small business mentality with a growing employee base. Drinking at work is encouraged, and in a really cliquey bros club way. Lots of people clearly are only there due to relationship with senior management and not skills.

Practice what you preach for HR professionals. Bring in qualified competent management.

Positive outlook overall

I worked at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knowledgeable and motivated team of business-savvy individuals. Good workforce diversity. Double-digit growth year-on-year. Expanding rapidly into more lines of service.

Cons

Management keeps changing. The structure at the top is very volatile. No possibility of partnership, which does not motivate one to stick around for the long term.

worst, sad, everything was a lie.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Info-Tech Research Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

none really. they make themselves look like a good company. the management and they way they treat employees is worse then you can imagine.

Cons

everything, honestly there is not one good thing about working here. I am interview with a few companies and if they do not give me an offer by Jan 2014 I will simply quite.

fire all management, they are there because they have been with company for many years. All new management is hired because they can not get jobs anywhere else and are willing to work for 40k a year.

Worked for Info-Tech Research Group? Contribute to the Community!