InfoReliance

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andrew Butler

Great company with excellent people and opportunities

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf you want to simply punch the clock and pick up a paycheck, this isn't the company for you. InfoReliance hires exceptional consultants and it fosters an environment that challenges you to be better.
    - Supports professional development and continuing education
    - Have maintained a great compensation package in a challenging market
    - Opportunities to prove your abillities and leadership that notices and rewards excellence
    - Team / collaborative approach

ConsIf you need a lot of affirmation and close management, you will probably find this environment challenging. Because the employees tend to be those who take intiative and don't need close management, those who are looking for closer management may not be a great fit for certain positions.

Professional, capable consultant corps

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsManagement empowers consultants through support, training and loyalty. I chose IR for that very reason. If you are a capable resource, you are a valued asset. Management stays engaged with it's personnel. I've watched many times when they've made tough choices in favor of the consultants where other firms have not.

It's not rocket science guys, if you bring drama, low ethics or shoddy work, it's best to look somewhere else. However, if you're a SME that's driven and wants to get the job done, there's no better place.

Another important note, our HR and Recruiting depts. are absolutely awesome!

ConsThe contracting world is a challenging arena, sometimes tough choices have to be made but it is always a last resort.

Sometimes sub-par consultants make it through the screening process. When these personnel are identified, management always has more patience than I in working with these folks. Sometimes I wish they would just cut these folks loose. But at least the bad apples get every opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stand by us and we will always stand by you. We recognize the challenges and tough calls you guys are making and we are with you.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAt market salary
    Strong Microsoft partner

ConsBenefits cuts
    No CEO involvenment with staff
    No strategic direction of company

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO/Execs should reach out to the employees. Seems owners/execs just care about making their money instaed of running a consulting company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The warnings are here for all to read, I wish I had heeded them when I first read them.

ProsDay 1 benefits, but that's pretty standard in IT, so not a big deal really.

ConsToo many incompetent people with no experience are hired. They then take credit for your work and repeat things you say so as to sound competent so they survive. Company doesn't seem to care when it is brought to their attention, problems are not addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring "billable bodies". Maybe then your reputation will improve and talent will actually want to come work here and stay. I almost decided not to accept the offer here after I had read the reviews. I wish I had declined. I won't make the same mistake again.

Friendly culture surrounded by some of the most talented and hard-working IT professionals in the industry

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

Pros- Good pay, some bonus opportunities, flexible schedules, and a positive work environment
    - Personal development opportunities (e.g., cross-training, IT certifications, customer exposure)
    - Management is goal driven, but does not stress over budgets or cutting operational costs
    - IR is comfortable with its reputation and is aware of its place in the market

Cons- It takes new employees a while to appreciate their role/function in the overarching business model
    - IR doesn't micromanage; they put a lot of trust in you to complete your projects or seek assistance- don't take being unsupervised for granted

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue reaching out to the staff for ideas and feedback

Started great then began to sour

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI worked with some really great folks. Knowledgeable, professional and always looking for ways to support your efforts. Unfortunately my experience doesn't extend to senior management.

ConsSome of the Vice Presidents use the "beat them into submission with verbal abuse" method of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck your ego, and the unprofessional language at the door. You'll always get better results by treating people professionally.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Out of touch management and zero career path

ProsGood salary, good benefits that start on the first day.

ConsDisconnected, incompetent upper management; no clearly defined career path and no education benefits. Zero recognition for performance and meager raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Embarrassed by work I did here

Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsPossible access to new-to-you technologies. I learned a lot while I was there and am grateful for what I learned.

ConsI worked for IR full time for six months, which was the length of the project I was assigned. Non-technical management made too many technical decisions that made the end result horrible. They also withheld future requirements they knew about for future phases but didnt' want to bother developers with those details during the first phase. If we'd known these future requirements, we would have planned the application very differently to handle them. In the end we did deliver a product that technically worked, but was one that I say I'm embarrassed to have my name associated with.

At the end of my assigned project, I was asked to stay on to work on the next phase. I wanted nothing to do with that project or my manager.

I talked to the VP about other options and he offered me opportunities in six other projects. He went through the six projects, what their status was, and what the challenges were in each that I would help overcome. I came out of that meeting seeing that every project that was available was a huge mess. That indicates a bigger problem. I put in my notice the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus the company and provide better training. Since the company just does anything it can get a contract for, employees work in too many different technologies. You need to focus in more specific areas and then provide more training for your employees. I hated feeling like one of the few qualified people in a sea of incompetents. Also do real evaluations and actually fire people that don't perform. I had a direct report that I wanted to fire but that was a non-starter apparently. He was totally useless even after significant personal attention trying to train him and even though he had been with the company for many years and apparently bounced from one project to another without ever actually learning how to do his job.

Low-overhead Consulting firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent salary and benefits, top-notch people. InfoReliance hires above average, very experienced team members who are driven to succeed.

ConsHeavy 'non-project' burden - nights and weekends are for proposal support. Low potential for upward progression due to the high quality of the overall workforce. While compensation in monetary terms is good, work-life balance varies from minimally acceptable to horrific.

Staffing company with no niche

ProsThey do not have hovering managers

ConsI have been with this company for 1.5 years. In that time frame, I have had no real connection with the company. They are a staffing company. As of the end of 2012, they have taken away many benefits, including parking/commuting reimbursements and 401k matching is now done at the end of the year. Bonuses are discretionary, meaning you have to ask for them from your managers, or threaten to walk away. They are not given on a quarterly basis, as they try to state they do. Forget about performance reviews. 2 years here, and each time, they don't care enough to sit with you to talk about your goals or a pay raise. They're not interested.

One scenario that really made me sit back with disbelief was when they hired a really unskilled (almost intern-like) person into a senior position, without properly clearing his background/work experience. (The managers can't qualify good candidates if they themselves dont understand the nature of the work.) Aside from his lack of experience, he nonchalantly informed me that everyone at HQ was given bonuses during the end of the year after a commotion erupted when HQ told everyone they wouldn't get raises. He was on the bench for months, sitting at home until he would be notified to come in... yet, he got a bonus, but others at client sites with experience who work overtime to ensure that their reputations are in good standing did not. Makes no sense that they would reward you for NOT WORKING.

There is also no maternity/paternity leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimes are tough, but do not take it out on your qualified employees. Hire qualified candidates instead of putting inexperienced/unqualified people on the bench.

Worked for InfoReliance? Contribute to the Community!