Informa

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.6

Stephen A. Carter

Pros
  • If you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, laid back, casual dress (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of clear career progression (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of communication from management and senior management is frustrating (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people need not apply

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a good amount of job security which as a sales person is a nice thing. Also good benefits and a nice office in midtown.

Cons

Way too much of a hierarchy which causes management to be totally out of touch with what is going on. Also because the company is essentially many smaller companies bound together through Informa's acquisition heavy strategy there are a lot of competing ideas and duplicated efforts. This causes a great deal of inefficiency and an incredibly complicated organizational chart. As a sales person much of what I was told through the interview process were exaggerations (earning potential, growth opportunities, strength of the product) to get me on board.

Stop being so scared to innovate. Listen to the people on the ground, and be open to new ideas.

not a good company to start

I have been working at Informa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice people and colleagues
    benefits are good

Cons

not good for new business

find new growth driver

Use you up then throw you away

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good products - some not so good...

Cons

Lack of common sense. i.e. our team won "Team of the Year" and then we were all offered redundancy 6 weeks later. Genius. They have made random impulse decision to merge either products or teams then realising their mistakes too late. i.e. some key clients are subjected two four separate account managers in a single year whereas with other (sensible) publishers they would have had relationships for 5 years+. Not just me as my current accounts moan about still having to put up with the same thing.

Think before you act

Nightmare

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company.

Cons

No career progression, no compensation no benefits (at all),
    No training when you start
    Some teams are marginalized (like mine fe)

Very bad environment, avoid this company!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I strongly recommend to avoid this company. The pay is really low, you will get £25,000 or less
    for a research analyst position, it is really low compared to the market offers and you will have to work really hard for this little money. The salary is a joke and there is no bonus, no matter how hard you try you will receive around £150 as your yearly bonus.

Cons

There is nothing good about this company: colleagues are hostile and unhappy, sometimes bossy and not helpful. Office is really old, there are no benefits.

leave the company, very bad management

worst company i have ever worked for

Current Employee - Web Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

half day Fridays in August
    good location

Cons

low salary, depressing environment, incompetent people, management disrespects employees, no opportunities for career progression or pay rise, everything is cut cost driven

worst career move I've ever made - AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits package is ok, providing you can actually stay long enough to qualify for it.
    Found out how not to run and operate a sales team - essentially learnt a list of 'do nots'.
    A few hard working and motivated people with real enthusiasm and ideas..

Cons

Though literally dozens I met who were the opposite - lazy, incompetent, feckless, disenchanted, dishonest - I could go on.
    Almost zero support and guidance from junior and middle management create a toxic atmosphere among the rank and file which I felt damaging to my skills and abilities as I was actually falling into their terrible, sloppy practices, and of course mentally and emotionally harmful having to get up and work here each day.

To senior management - your middle and junior managers are a joke, and literally the worst I have ever worked with. The vast majority of your staff are massively demotivated and under-utilised, you are losing your best people on a regular basis.

Stay far, far away

I have been working at Informa (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good work-life balance (as long as you take it), a lot of nice people despite the bad company and environment, open to telecommuting.

Quite frankly, it's also quite easy to fly below the radar and get by without doing much real work. I haven't tried it myself yet, but have seen enough others do it that I'm starting to consider it.

Cons

This company constantly reorganizes and buys new companies and sells parts of itself I think only to justify the managers shuffling the pieces around. There are far too many layers of management--it seems people get promoted until they are no longer actually responsible for doing anything tangible. While they spend hour after hour in pointless meetings, the people actually responsible for doing things are told to turn left, then turn right 3 months later, then turn left again 3 months after that even after they point out that they've gone down that road before. And, when it's all said and done, the competition has lapped us, the products have suffered, and the good people that are left are too disenchanted to give their best any longer.

Needless to say, there's been a lot of turnover in the last 2 years.

Get rid of any management who is telling you their plan is "strategic" or will help "efficiency"--they either don't know what they're talking about or are looking to make a cut that will hurt them 3 months down the road. Minimize bureaucracy and actually empower the people who know their products and business best to run with them.

Need to improve their internal processes and management

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good first step into employment for graduates. Poor wage structure but a good stepping stone to move onto other companies in the Publishing/Conference industry.

Cons

As stated they are suicidal. They had a good marketing team when I joined but allowed them all to be poached. They wanted to leave due to poor wages and the way they were treated by management and Informa didn't try in any way to keep them. As a PLC they have to watch the pennies but if you have high quality staff then you need to keep them. When I started my business unit had 8 good marketers working across the product portfolio. By the time I left there were to graduates and the most inept member of the original marketing team was promoted from Exec to Marketing Manager.

On the Sales side it's even worse. They changed the structure about 4 times within a year. A great example being that Key Accounts won the "Team of the Year" award yet within 2 months they restructured the sales team and subsequently lost the Key Account Director and two Key Account Managers.

Also far far far far far too aggressive with their pricing policies. Have a terrible reputation in the Legal and Healthcare market amongst clients. As a result of this none of them trust them.

1. Keep hold of your best employees.
    2. Stop promoting people due to them being 'friends' with other management and promote based upon ability instead.
    3. Value your clients - you have a terrible reputation as a result.

Doesn't live up to management BS

Current Employee - Reporter/Journalist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Reporter/Journalist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa

Pros

My pair is good, although I think more recent recruits are not so well rewarded. Other than that, there are frighteningly few positives about the place these days.

Cons

The place is bureaucratic beyond belief. The simplest requests or ideas can take months to go through, if they do not simply get lost. Penny pinching and cost cutting run the day, even to the detriment of the product. All the time we are being told that we are in competition with the big name media outfits, but we are expected to churn out stories on a fraction of their resources.

Invest in content or we will get whalloped by our rivals.