Informa

Be The First To
Add Photos

Informa CEO Peter S. Rigby

Peter S. Rigby

not a good company to start

I have been working at Informa full-time for less than a year

Prosnice people and colleagues
benefits are good

Consnot good for new business

Advice to Senior Managementfind new growth driver

Use you up then throw you away

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good products - some not so good...

ConsLack of common sense. i.e. our team won "Team of the Year" and then we were all offered redundancy 6 weeks later. Genius. They have made random impulse decision to merge either products or teams then realising their mistakes too late. i.e. some key clients are subjected two four separate account managers in a single year whereas with other (sensible) publishers they would have had relationships for 5 years+. Not just me as my current accounts moan about still having to put up with the same thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you act

Nightmare

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company.

ConsNo career progression, no compensation no benefits (at all),
No training when you start
Some teams are marginalized (like mine fe)

Very bad environment, avoid this company!

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI strongly recommend to avoid this company. The pay is really low, you will get £25,000 or less
for a research analyst position, it is really low compared to the market offers and you will have to work really hard for this little money. The salary is a joke and there is no bonus, no matter how hard you try you will receive around £150 as your yearly bonus.

ConsThere is nothing good about this company: colleagues are hostile and unhappy, sometimes bossy and not helpful. Office is really old, there are no benefits.

Advice to Senior Managementleave the company, very bad management

worst company i have ever worked for

Web Designer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than a year

Proshalf day Fridays in August
good location

Conslow salary, depressing environment, incompetent people, management disrespects employees, no opportunities for career progression or pay rise, everything is cut cost driven

worst career move I've ever made - AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

I have been working at Informa full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits package is ok, providing you can actually stay long enough to qualify for it.
Found out how not to run and operate a sales team - essentially learnt a list of 'do nots'.
A few hard working and motivated people with real enthusiasm and ideas..

ConsThough literally dozens I met who were the opposite - lazy, incompetent, feckless, disenchanted, dishonest - I could go on.
Almost zero support and guidance from junior and middle management create a toxic atmosphere among the rank and file which I felt damaging to my skills and abilities as I was actually falling into their terrible, sloppy practices, and of course mentally and emotionally harmful having to get up and work here each day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior management - your middle and junior managers are a joke, and literally the worst I have ever worked with. The vast majority of your staff are massively demotivated and under-utilised, you are losing your best people on a regular basis.

Stay far, far away

I have been working at Informa for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, good work-life balance (as long as you take it), a lot of nice people despite the bad company and environment, open to telecommuting.

Quite frankly, it's also quite easy to fly below the radar and get by without doing much real work. I haven't tried it myself yet, but have seen enough others do it that I'm starting to consider it.

ConsThis company constantly reorganizes and buys new companies and sells parts of itself I think only to justify the managers shuffling the pieces around. There are far too many layers of management--it seems people get promoted until they are no longer actually responsible for doing anything tangible. While they spend hour after hour in pointless meetings, the people actually responsible for doing things are told to turn left, then turn right 3 months later, then turn left again 3 months after that even after they point out that they've gone down that road before. And, when it's all said and done, the competition has lapped us, the products have suffered, and the good people that are left are too disenchanted to give their best any longer.

Needless to say, there's been a lot of turnover in the last 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of any management who is telling you their plan is "strategic" or will help "efficiency"--they either don't know what they're talking about or are looking to make a cut that will hurt them 3 months down the road. Minimize bureaucracy and actually empower the people who know their products and business best to run with them.

Need to improve their internal processes and management

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood first step into employment for graduates. Poor wage structure but a good stepping stone to move onto other companies in the Publishing/Conference industry.

ConsAs stated they are suicidal. They had a good marketing team when I joined but allowed them all to be poached. They wanted to leave due to poor wages and the way they were treated by management and Informa didn't try in any way to keep them. As a PLC they have to watch the pennies but if you have high quality staff then you need to keep them. When I started my business unit had 8 good marketers working across the product portfolio. By the time I left there were to graduates and the most inept member of the original marketing team was promoted from Exec to Marketing Manager.

On the Sales side it's even worse. They changed the structure about 4 times within a year. A great example being that Key Accounts won the "Team of the Year" award yet within 2 months they restructured the sales team and subsequently lost the Key Account Director and two Key Account Managers.

Also far far far far far too aggressive with their pricing policies. Have a terrible reputation in the Legal and Healthcare market amongst clients. As a result of this none of them trust them.

Advice to Senior Management1. Keep hold of your best employees.
2. Stop promoting people due to them being 'friends' with other management and promote based upon ability instead.
3. Value your clients - you have a terrible reputation as a result.

Doesn't live up to management BS

Reporter/Journalist (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa

ProsMy pair is good, although I think more recent recruits are not so well rewarded. Other than that, there are frighteningly few positives about the place these days.

ConsThe place is bureaucratic beyond belief. The simplest requests or ideas can take months to go through, if they do not simply get lost. Penny pinching and cost cutting run the day, even to the detriment of the product. All the time we are being told that we are in competition with the big name media outfits, but we are expected to churn out stories on a fraction of their resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in content or we will get whalloped by our rivals.

Not a great place to work but some nice people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Informa

ProsOn paper this is a fantastic place to work, FTSE, investors in people, interesting products, a wide range of clients across many markets.

ConsIt appears that in general "yes people" get along fine and managers blamestorm when it is convenient but hide their poor decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and care in your people, ensuring that people who are in senior positions treat everyone fairly and with respect.

Worked for Informa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Informa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Informa CEO Peter S. Rigby. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Informa employees.