Informa

Peter S. Rigby

Remote senior management

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWonderful colleagues, good location, some good company benefits, opportunity to learn a lot of skills very fast

ConsSenior management has little idea what the productive staff actually do in the course of their employment and are prone to wild schemes that are poorly researched. Large stuff cuts in recent years have overloaded existing staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry asking the people who actually do the work before launching into ill-advised projects or initiatives. Take a longer-term view.

not a good company to start

I have been working at Informa full-time for less than a year

Prosnice people and colleagues
benefits are good

Consnot good for new business

Advice to Senior Managementfind new growth driver

Good work/life balance if you can stomach the reorgs

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA Good work - life balance

ConsReorganizations occur on an annual basis

Use you up then throw you away

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome good products - some not so good...

ConsLack of common sense. i.e. our team won "Team of the Year" and then we were all offered redundancy 6 weeks later. Genius. They have made random impulse decision to merge either products or teams then realising their mistakes too late. i.e. some key clients are subjected two four separate account managers in a single year whereas with other (sensible) publishers they would have had relationships for 5 years+. Not just me as my current accounts moan about still having to put up with the same thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you act

Interesting at times, but frustrating

Account Manager (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than a year

ProsGood colleagues and opportunities to take on challenges

ConsOverly focussed on targets, particularly sales

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging is not the best way to get the most out of your employees!

Reactionary (to its share price) company whose only important stakeholders, seemingly, are its shareholders

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than a year

ProsGenial colleagues make light of mundane work. That's it really; there are no pros specific to the company that I know of -- and any other pros are only conspicuous by their absence (see cons).

ConsLow pay, or, rather, pay suffered because it's the lowest pay the board can get away with paying. Furthermore, the constant "benchmarking" processes (for pay), and in turn the continual talk of these processes being completed, are simply an insult to employees' intelligence -- the amount of acquisitions Informa makes per year gives credence to the argument that it is their share price which matters, not, unfortunately, employee pay.

In particular, MarketLine, where I work, is managed very passively, i.e. that problems are not recognised until they have the capacity to shock the management into a disbelief that they had not recognised them sooner. This has the double bad of not only allowing grievances to go unanswered, or problems to go unsolved, but also creates many extra meetings for the management as they struggle to fathom why they cannot make solvent problems that would have been better understood had they actually listened to their employee's issues.

However, perhaps the largest grievance I have with the business MarketLine is simply how unprofessional it is. Employees have different rights, some have flexible working times, others are not allowed flexible working times; employees are treated differently depending on how long they have worked there, sarcasm and the regular condescension towards newer staff is contrasted with a deference which is apparently required when communicating with senior analysts; senior staff aren't called up on racist remarks; employee promotions are wholly determined by the length of time they have remained with the company and not by merit; and, in general, a complete absence of a continual attempt to eradicate these arbitrary forces which is the defining mark of any self-respecting professional organisation. This has fostered a culture of introspection and loathing; hatred, I am sad to say, is the feeling most likely felt between any two team members.

To the reader: it is my most sincere recommendation, following the above remarks, that this company should not be the subject of any job applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just listen to employees, try to understand why they have said those things.

Good company, bad management

Key Account Manager (Former Employee)
Huanglu, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Informa full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLay-back working environment, friendly colleagues

ConsDeaf management, bad administrative staff

Nightmare

I have been working at Informa full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company.

ConsNo career progression, no compensation no benefits (at all),
No training when you start
Some teams are marginalized (like mine fe)

A useful entry level position, but move on quickly.

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time

ProsRelaxed atmosphere and (mostly) genial colleagues. The variety of work and self managing work load.

ConsRecent structural changes made by Marketline have been demoralising and eroded the once cordial atmosphere, undermining one of the few benefits of being employed by this company. Complete absence of career progression opportunities, meagre pay and lack of reward for any input beyond your minimum requirements. Previously mentioned structural changes have done little to remedy this, maintaining staff for possibly one more year before considering their position. Furthermore, being a London-centric company means many internal vacancies are not applicable unless you are willing to commit to a move there. I feel there's an erosion of my skills base.

Good

I have been working at Informa

ProsGood work life balance. No travelling involved

ConsManagement Issues and no real opportunity for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementChange

Worked for Informa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Informa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Informa CEO Peter S. Rigby. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Informa employees.