Informa Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.7

Stephen A. Carter

Pros
  • If you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, laid back, casual dress (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of clear career progression (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of communication from management and senior management is frustrating (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Use you up then throw you away

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good products - some not so good...

Cons

Lack of common sense. i.e. our team won "Team of the Year" and then we were all offered redundancy 6 weeks later. Genius. They have made random impulse decision to merge either products or teams then realising their mistakes too late. i.e. some key clients are subjected two four separate account managers in a single year whereas with other (sensible) publishers they would have had relationships for 5 years+. Not just me as my current accounts moan about still having to put up with the same thing.

Think before you act

Interesting at times, but frustrating

Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good colleagues and opportunities to take on challenges

Cons

Overly focussed on targets, particularly sales

Micromanaging is not the best way to get the most out of your employees!

Good company, bad management

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Huanglu, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Huanglu, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Informa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lay-back working environment, friendly colleagues

Cons

Deaf management, bad administrative staff

Reactionary (to its share price) company whose only important stakeholders, seemingly, are its shareholders

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Genial colleagues make light of mundane work. That's it really; there are no pros specific to the company that I know of -- and any other pros are only conspicuous by their absence (see cons).

Cons

Low pay, or, rather, pay suffered because it's the lowest pay the board can get away with paying. Furthermore, the constant "benchmarking" processes (for pay), and in turn the continual talk of these processes being completed, are simply an insult to employees' intelligence -- the amount of acquisitions Informa makes per year gives credence to the argument that it is their share price which matters, not, unfortunately, employee pay.

In particular, MarketLine, where I work, is managed very passively, i.e. that problems are not recognised until they have the capacity to shock the management into a disbelief that they had not recognised them sooner. This has the double bad of not only allowing grievances to go unanswered, or problems to go unsolved, but also creates many extra meetings for the management as they struggle to fathom why they cannot make solvent problems that would have been better understood had they actually listened to their employee's issues.

However, perhaps the largest grievance I have with the business MarketLine is simply how unprofessional it is. Employees have different rights, some have flexible working times, others are not allowed flexible working times; employees are treated differently depending on how long they have worked there, sarcasm and the regular condescension towards newer staff is contrasted with a deference which is apparently required when communicating with senior analysts; senior staff aren't called up on racist remarks; employee promotions are wholly determined by the length of time they have remained with the company and not by merit; and, in general, a complete absence of a continual attempt to eradicate these arbitrary forces which is the defining mark of any self-respecting professional organisation. This has fostered a culture of introspection and loathing; hatred, I am sad to say, is the feeling most likely felt between any two team members.

To the reader: it is my most sincere recommendation, following the above remarks, that this company should not be the subject of any job applications.

Don't just listen to employees, try to understand why they have said those things.

A useful entry level position, but move on quickly.

I have been working at Informa full-time

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and (mostly) genial colleagues. The variety of work and self managing work load.

Cons

Recent structural changes made by Marketline have been demoralising and eroded the once cordial atmosphere, undermining one of the few benefits of being employed by this company. Complete absence of career progression opportunities, meagre pay and lack of reward for any input beyond your minimum requirements. Previously mentioned structural changes have done little to remedy this, maintaining staff for possibly one more year before considering their position. Furthermore, being a London-centric company means many internal vacancies are not applicable unless you are willing to commit to a move there. I feel there's an erosion of my skills base.

Good

I have been working at Informa

Pros

Good work life balance. No travelling involved

Cons

Management Issues and no real opportunity for growth

Change

Nightmare

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company.

Cons

No career progression, no compensation no benefits (at all),
    No training when you start
    Some teams are marginalized (like mine fe)

Low payment, relaxing work atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time

Pros

Quite flexible. Colleagues are nice. Fun activities like Go-banana. If you are not ambitious in career and have kids to take care, here is a fair place to stay.

Cons

Low payment. The bonus is a joke.

We lost several really good analysts recently. The salary package should be more motivated.

Surprisingly positive culture, good support from management

Former Employee - Conference Production in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Conference Production in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time

Pros

No blame culture here and very little politics for a large organisation.
    Benefits e.g. half price gym membership and pension contributions.
    A fun place to work.
    Good profit share/bonus schemes if you perform well.
    Office in good location in central London.

Cons

A bit clunky and traditional - new ideas can be shot down without a trial. Restructures to satisfy shareholders. Delegate sales team not treated as a professional sales team and it's not seen as a career path.

Do more external benchmarking to keep up with the times.
    Also create a clearer career path and support employees to get where they want to go e.g. Producers could be promoted to Senior Producers before becoming Portfolio Managers.

Very bad environment, avoid this company!

Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I strongly recommend to avoid this company. The pay is really low, you will get £25,000 or less
    for a research analyst position, it is really low compared to the market offers and you will have to work really hard for this little money. The salary is a joke and there is no bonus, no matter how hard you try you will receive around £150 as your yearly bonus.

Cons

There is nothing good about this company: colleagues are hostile and unhappy, sometimes bossy and not helpful. Office is really old, there are no benefits.

leave the company, very bad management