Informa Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Informa Group CEO Stephen A. Carter
Stephen A. Carter

Pros
  • If you are looking for a very good work/life balance, this is the perfect company (in 7 reviews)

• The environment is good and laid back with casual Fridays (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of clear career progression (in 8 reviews)

• The lack of communication from management and senior management is frustrating (in 5 reviews)

1. Good benefits and work-life balance but poor salary

I worked at Informa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working scheme, good benefits package, nice office facilities

Cons

It feels like the company is going through constant restructuring with all the acquisitions, divestments and changing business priorities. HR function is pretty inexistent, Career progression is slow while salaries are usually quite low

Advice to Management

You are a people business so invest in staff training and building a proper HR function

2. Good company to work for, typical large organisation

Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Informa is a UK plc that seems to be an ethical employer, and is also ambitious. Flexible working arrangements are good. Varied work and opportunities. Stephen Carter at the helm is inspirational.

Cons

It's like an oil tanker to turn - slow and occasionally reluctant. Some good individuals but also some who like to continue doing 'things' the way they've always been done, slowing down the ability of the organisation to react to market demands (or indeed anticipate and prepare for market demands). Suspect this is fairly typical of large plcs.

Advice to Management

Be decisive, move obstacles out of the way, and get on with applying change. Adopt openness with job grades and salary bands, instead of being secretive. Expect that this will show that actually, the discrepancies aren't quite as bad as rumoured.

3. Change is the only constant

I worked at Informa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A big group and a lot of change means great opportunities to grow your career and advance quickly if you are willing to put your hand up - Opportunities to travel and work in other regions - Absolutely the best co-workers around

Cons

- New management have really taken the heart out of the business, what used to be a place for personal growth and genuine relationships has now become a bit of cold behemoth - If you don't like change, this isn't the place for you

Advice to Management

- People are your USP, you sell what they know and they could just as easily know it for someone else...so have a heart!

Outrageously UNPROFESSIONAL!

I worked at Informa

Pros

... Let me laugh! I can't think of any pros to be honest; from the management to the commission scheme, passing by the company culture.

Cons

An abyssal gap between the employees and the top management, worst-in-class internal communication, no transparency, a lot of politic going on (You better be friend with the right person... Try golf!) and no clue about agility. Transition from Datamonitor (which was a great and friendly company) to Informa was chaotic.. They dared to make us work in awful conditions: swapping our chairs for bar stools! Destroying our backs! They messed up with my commission for months, making me beg for my own money (absurdly humiliating!), putting me under a lot of stress (scandalous!)! The day I finally collected my money, was my best day in Informa: I resigned!

Advice to Management

What about being humble by learning about Best in Class companies, being more "human" despite your size, making efforts to keep and attract good employees (rather than keeping all those faithful and easy to control but not ambitious ones) or listening to what your customers have to say? You only exist because of the customers and your employees... Nothing else!

6. Results-driven analyst with solid operational experience within Investment Banking (Tier I) & Multinational Corporations

Current Employee - Credit Management in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Credit Management in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa

Pros

Global Firm with 126 offices around the world. But its the people that make this Organisation, a vibrant and prestigious place to work.

Cons

Position 104 in FTSE 100

Advice to Management

Immense effort in motion. Great work.

7. Good place to start

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa

Pros

A good sales atmosphere with very friendly people. A comfortable place to start your sales career and learn the fundamentals.

Cons

Not many! A slight lack of career direction/vision. A few stories of good performers being stuck in the same role for a few years and leaving. New KPIs were set for career development when i left.

Advice to Management

More clarity on the career path may have enticed me to stay longer (or leave quicker). More effort to put the best performers on a pedestal.

What a joke

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Informa

Pros

None, if Informa decided to disappear from the face of the earth it would be a pro.

Cons

Money Money Money making company at the expense of everybody else.

Advice to Management

Just go

9. Transition may improve company ethos

I have been working at Informa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High margin business give scope for quality work, in theory Good training

Cons

Focus on margin has restricted growth in the last 4 years; company has been content to provide shareholder return while trimming costs and people, and reducing operations. New management (in place since 2014) is more interested in growth and innovation

Advice to Management

Share the shape of the vision in more detail

10. EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK FOR AS LONG AS YOU IN WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE!

Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Delegate Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Informa

Pros

they do pay commission excellent people and camaderie promote from within .. good opportunties

Cons

make sure you mix .. be a team player dont keep your head up have your head down..even if your working hard

Advice to Management

If someone does the job .. keep them accept all types of employee ...

11. Good work life balance however uninspiring culture

Former Employee - Business Analysis Manager in Farringdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analysis Manager in Farringdon, England (UK)

I worked at Informa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Contract flexibility (encourage home working and open to flexible working arrangements)

Cons

Closed door management style, poor communication and relationships between departments, very limited roles and responsibilities - uninspiring.

Advice to Management

More transparent management and collaboration between departments and senior management.

RSS Feed </> Embed