Informatica

Updated September 17, 2014
3.9

Informatica Chairman and CEO Sohaib Abbasi
Sohaib Abbasi

Pros
  • Work life balance - Even workload, never forced to work overtime/weekends/late night (in 42 reviews)

• Good work life balance, helpful colleagues and work culture (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • People worked themselves to the bone running in circles for upper management - no work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Have to go through politics when getting your idea approved (even if you are in an R & D) (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Solution Architect

Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always engaged in meaningful opportunities, helping those interested in Data Integration with strategic and high tech solution architecture to meet demanding enterprise requirements. Working for the leader in this space who is committed to excellence and investing in R&D to stay ahead has been a rewarding experience. Excellent leadership and management teams with a high regard for individual and corporate success. Competitive compensation plans are a plus.

Cons

Product development teams tend to work within their own product space and at time overlook the efforts of other teams and technologies when initially designing products, creating additional efforts in future releases to integrate the products.

Keep doing what you're doing! Create new spiffs and incentives for the presales teams.

Great company in a great market

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity, great company to work for

Cons

Can be more aggressive in pursuing growth strategies

One of the better places to work in bay area

Former Employee - Director  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Informatica full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Small company culture with a friendly & fun atmosphere. In general the company focuses on execution and getting things done. There is good work life balance and a healthy stream of team building events. Good amount of training and personal growth opportunities available. Flexibility in moving around and relocating to the right team and project.

Cons

Some amount of saturation in mid-management and at times the decision making has been lethargic that has resulted in loss of momentum. There have been technical missteps around some of the projects over the years and folks have been slow to own up to that and correct them as it requires rocking the boat.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company with tremendous opportunity, a high ethical standard and great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than a year

Pros

The cloud has sent major sets of data everywhere. A leader in data integration and MDM, the company has a really unique opportunity. Management always trying to do the right and best thing. Very interested in the growth and satisfaction of its people. Open, collegial, team-oriented, committed.

Cons

The strategy could be clearer, but it seems we are working on it consistently.

Ensure the strategy leaders in product and our executives are aligned for success, then fuel our growth!

I know over 40 individuals who have left Informatica and then come back to Informatica including myself.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great challenging work as IPS Consultant with top corporate and governments formative customers. Lots of in-house training and the most skilled people in the business to work with. Everyone is very supportive and there to help if you need it.

Cons

Constant certifications required as company adds new products. Since I am always booked at customers, this can be a challenge

Great company with excellent people and top-notch products

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focused on everything data, covering the entire life-cycle of data from creation to disposal. We are independent and not beholden to any of the big stack vendors enabling us to provide impartial advice and technology.

Cons

Sometimes over focused on the SFDC processes and also it seems increasingly distanced from real existing customers and their local community around user groups and supporting them.

1. As a sales consultant I feel we are not getting enough training/enablement compared to for instance product specialists.
    2. Having been involved in several sales cycles where sales overlays were involved it seems to me that their roles and responsibilities need refining - there has been counterproductive assistance provided when dealing with a large number of INFA products not just theirs.
    3. Simplify, simplify, simplify...

Lots of autonomy, great team support, good working environment

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Informatica full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the largest company I've worked for an although at times it feels like a huge organization, overall, you feel like you have a smaller company environment. I generally work with the same team of people on a regular basis so it's helpful that I feel like I get to know my co-workers. My manager is as hands-on as I'd like her to be - she is trustworthy and confident in my abilities and only jumps in when asked. I feel like I own my projects and am given freedom to make decisions.

As a remote employee, the tools and systems we use make it very easy to collaborate.

The benefits are great.

Cons

Some of the processes and procedures are unclear and makes it difficult to sometimes get minor tasks completed.

Keep up the good work with evolving benefits.

Pleasant Switch!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cary, NC

I have been working at Informatica full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my organization (specialized sales), there is a lot of opportunity to interact with high-level management and provide input. This makes me feel engaged, valued, and able to help. The product line is fantastic and the majority of the employees I've worked with so far are extremely knowledgeable. The sales teams are very technically competent. The customer needs really feel like they're put first.

The overall company culture is very concerned with doing your best, being accountable, and having a lot of integrity. These are qualities I value very much.

The office culture is very casual (no dress code!) with lots of flexibility. I can work at home when I need/want to. I can attend appointments without being very concerned about sticky business hours. Respectful of work/life balance. Not high stress, but busy enough to feel really engaged and wanted. If there are meetings over lunch, lunch is brought in. The office has lots of freebies: snacks, soda, fancy coffee, fridge to put your lunch in.

Not a lot of red tape to get through to justify purchases (technology or travel, for example). Management trusts that you're doing what you say you're doing. Very fair expense reimbursement. EXCELLENT benefits--competitive compensation and commission, 401k matching and managed by Fidelity, affordable insurance with pretty good coverage (even with a CA-based headquarters and insurance company when I'm on the east coast). Competitive flexible time off (FTO) that improves with longer retention.

Most powerful work laptop I've ever had access to! The hardware specs are to die for.

CEO is very approachable, interesting, and well spoken. He seems well connected to what's going on in different parts of the company. He's very knowledgeable about the various product lines.

Cons

I haven't had to renegotiate salary, OTE, commission yet. I haven't tried to be promoted. I have no idea how that process is--I'm too new :-). Those are usually the cons I experience in an organization, and I don't know what to expect here yet.

No BYOD except for phones and limited support for Mac products.

Keep up the engagement with your employees--it works well to make us feel like we're contributing to the end game of the company!

Amazing place to learn and grow your career

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive compensation, lots of opportunities for growth at all levels, recognition for work done and a management team that cares about each individual. Even though the company has been around for 20 years, it still has the spark and energy to excel!

Cons

Most challenges are related to growing pains of a company. As the company has evolved to have a portfolio of products, it hasn't really figured out how to organize it self effectively to continue the momentum and growth.

Have a clearly articulated portfolio management strategy.

Amazing Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is in the center of one of the biggest market opportunities, the work is interesting, and the culture is truly special - helpful, supportive, and goal oriented. You can be yourself here. Hard to beat that combination.

Cons

It's in transition due to growth (just hit $1billion in revenue), and there are pain points that come with new people, new ideas, reorgs, new challenges, departures, etc. However, if you're new like me, all you see is opportunity.

Communicate more, ask for feedback, preserve culture - it's a competitive advantage.

Worked for Informatica? Contribute to the Community!