Informatica

Updated January 31, 2015
4.2

Informatica Chairman and CEO Sohaib Abbasi
Sohaib Abbasi

Pros
  • Work-life Balance: One of the best IT companies in Bangalore I have seen (in 67 reviews)

• Informatica has a good work culture compared to many Software product companies (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • People worked themselves to the bone running in circles for upper management - no work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Work is not a seasonal thing at GCS unlike R&D where everything happens "before" the release time (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment and work/life balance. Upper management is accessible and has vision. Culture supports sharing ideas.

Cons

Some growth challenges with getting in place procedures and policies.

Continue to be accessible and listen to employee feedback.

Very good experience

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

Smart people, good size company

Cons

Learning curve is long for new employees

Provide training for new employees

Jan 30, 2015VP Global Talent Acquisition

Hi there, thanks for the comments. Not sure what part of the world or Org your in but please have a look on our Intranet for InfaEdge. It houses loads and loads of development opportunities. Please ... More

Overall a great experience

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Informatica has a great position in the marketplace and I have never heard a negative word from customers about the solutions. It has a very collaborative environment and full of people who want to win and excel together. All the extended resources are more than ready to help out. They hire very smart and capable people. The work life balance is good and the compensation is very good. Senior management seems to really believe in the company and its future.

Cons

As the company is transitioning to become a large organization, it has sometimes lost the "smaller company" feel. It was never a small company, but you always felt like your voice was heard and had the environment of a start-up, a large start-up. Many folks come here from large companies and enjoy the smaller company environment. Don't Lose That.

As many departments are looking to grow, there needs to be more opportunity for employees rather than looking to the outside to hire. There is a fair amount of promoting from within, but take a closer look at your current personnel who have learned the products, the culture, and are familiar with teams and key player within the company. More promotion from within will reduce the turnover, which seems to be growing in the very recent past.

Jan 28, 2015VP Global Talent Acquisition

Hi there, and thank you for your comments. Your comment about internal movement is well heard and has been based on feedback from a number of employees and on Glassdoor. HR is soon to be scoping a ... More

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the best things about working at Informatica is the work and family life balance, the ability to work from home when needed, the overall values of teamwork and excellency, and the CEO has a great way of connecting with the employees and communicating the company goals.

Cons

More time should be spent on reflecting on current processes and discussing the most efficient ways of upgrading current workflow processes. Teams can be small and workloads can become demanding when stretched between a small team.

Provide more opportunities for growth and educational growth. Hold more reviews of current workflow processes to determine how to make departments or teams operate more efficiently.

Jan 28, 2015VP Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for talking the time to leave us a review. We are certainly working diligently to focus on internal movement and right time feedback. The right time feedback program is close to rolling out ... More

Great company, fantastic technology, good benefits, amazing employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Informatica is a hidden gem in the Silicon Valley. The company has best in class technology. The management team is a good mix of company veterans and new talent. The employees that Informatica hires are hard working, dedicated and committed to doing the right thing for the company and its customers.

Cons

There is a lot of work to be done being a mid-size company. The business unit structure can be challenging to navigate, but is certainly possible.

Continue taking calculated risks as we grow and move into adjacent markets. Be bold about the company and our products.

Jan 26, 2015Senior Employer Brand Manager

Your review is appreciated. There are many employees that would agree with you that Informatica is a hidden gem in the Valley. Although we have a few rough spots around the edges, the company has ... More

Great technology, good culture, terrific opportunities at Informatica.

Current Employee - Sales Support With Business Focus
    Current Employee - Sales Support With Business Focus

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

The software itself is great and the customer service is excellent, so you are very comfortable promoting it. You work hard, but it is a welcoming culture and easy to feel part of the team.

Cons

There are a lot of products, so it takes some time to really understand all of them when you first come on board.

Accountability is a little confusing at times. It seems like there are multiple people responsible for the same thing. That is of course better than no one being accountable for things, but it can make the process of getting from point A to point B unclear.

New vacation policy hurts employees

I have been working at Informatica full-time

Pros

The people who have been here for years are great to work with.

Cons

There are several reasons this new vacation policy will never work:

1) The opinion of Informatica employees towards this new policy was never solicited. We were suddenly sent an email in the middle of December informing us that we would no longer accrue paid time off and about how many other tech companies were doing this. Any company that does not care about the opinion of its employees will never succeed.

2) Managers are now rubbing their hands in glee because they could use this policy to deny vacation to the people that worked for them based on "business needs"

3) Informatica management is terribly disorganized and does everything at the last minute. Planning vacation time around their constant fire-drills will never work because they'll always need you around

4) Under the old policy we at least earned our time off and could take them whenever we wanted. Now, since we don't earn vacation time, you have to beg for it from your boss, putting you at his mercy.

5) Even though we have an "unlimited" vacation policy, we are still required to input it for tracking purposes. This behavior makes managers automatically assume that there are bonus incentives in place for them to ensure the least amount of vacation days consumed by their team.

The vacation resolution policy is fraught with problems. HR personnel informed us during several FAQ sessions that we could call upon our HR Business Partner if our manager was constantly denying us vacation. Many employees will never go this route because it is akin to reporting your manager to HR which means you risk getting yourself placed on the chopping block. The following changes are suggested:

1) The vacation system should send a notification to the manager every 2 days reminding them to approve or deny the vacation request. If they deny, they need to clearly state the reason, and be given the chance to suggest alternate vacation days instead

2) If the vacation request is denied, the employee should be given a chance to comment in the vacation system as to why these specific vacation days are important. Every denial event should automatically be sent to the HR Business Partner who can monitor the thread and arbitrate

3) If after 8 days, the manager has not approved the vacation request, a workflow trigger should instantly notify the HR Business Partner who must email and call the manager

5) The vacation system needs to have triggers in place that send HR Business Partners a notification if too few vacation days are being used by the team

6) Institute mandatory training for managers warning them of the dangers of burning out their team.

7) If you're serious about work-life balance, then start an award for it. Let managers who allow team members to take at least 2 continuous weeks off once per calendar year be recognized with a Certificate of Appreciation and lauded at all-hands meetings.

Jan 22, 2015CHRO

As Chief HR Officer of Informatica, I’d like to present why we moved to a new no-cap FTO policy.
    The no-cap FTO policy was put into place to provide employees with more flexibility to juggle work
    ... More

Intern

I worked at Informatica

Pros

Cool Intern Events (Movies, Amusement Park, A's game)
    Good Pay

Cons

Should've been a Giants game.

About Inofrmatica

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

Supportive Management Team. Not rude and nice to their people in most of the cases

Cons

Some Politics, although it is not a lot . We should discourage it and keep the environment clean to breath.

Keep the open door policy alive and call the lowest level employees also for their one on one

SEEMS great, but really not a good environment

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Informatica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Full set of IVT training
    Sr Mgmt talks a good game

Cons

Completely unstructured
    Horrible lower-level management
    Work-life balance seems good (work-from-home) but they really expect you to work like a dog
    No career growth plans

Actively manage the training and progress of people at higher levels, rather than just assuming lower-level managers will properly manage training