Informatica

Updated December 17, 2014
4.2

Informatica Chairman and CEO Sohaib Abbasi
Sohaib Abbasi

Pros
  • Work-life Balance: One of the best IT companies in Bangalore I have seen (in 67 reviews)

• Informatica has a good work culture compared to many Software product companies (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • People worked themselves to the bone running in circles for upper management - no work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Work is not a seasonal thing at GCS unlike R&D where everything happens "before" the release time (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern

I worked at Informatica

Pros

Cool Intern Events (Movies, Amusement Park, A's game)
    Good Pay

Cons

Should've been a Giants game.

About Inofrmatica

I have been working at Informatica

Pros

Supportive Management Team. Not rude and nice to their people in most of the cases

Cons

Some Politics, although it is not a lot . We should discourage it and keep the environment clean to breath.

Keep the open door policy alive and call the lowest level employees also for their one on one

One of the best companies I've worked at!

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The products do what they are supposed to, the people are great and professional, the pay is competitive, the culture is friendly...honestly, it has everything you want in a company.

Cons

I personally find it a bit unfair when bonuses are tied to objectives that are completely out of your control (i.e. utilization for those in positions that don't control staffing or business development).

Informatica has historically done a good job of allowing for a good work-life balance. However, now that we are a billion dollar company, we need to make sure that processes, requirement certification/training, etc. are enforced in a way that people feel that can do work during work times and not during personal time. That is, if utilization is tied to bonuses but certification and other activities are considered overhead, you are forcing a great percentage of the people to do work during their personal time to protect their money. It's fine if people choose to do more than 40 hours a week of work, but by tying money into the mix, some people may feel that they are forced into a situation where they have to do this. This is a challenging problem to solve, but this needs to be handled carefully or else people will lose sight of the value of training/certification or the employees become disgruntled because their well being is being threatened.

Blah Company with Blah People

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Operations
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Operations

I worked at Informatica

Pros

Nice looking office, corporate experience, big name on resume

Cons

Boring, not innovative, bad pay, nothing cutting edge, treat employees like cogs in a machine.

Make it fun!

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Informatica

Pros

It's not crazily paced. Fair compensations. People are friendly with each other. Good environment to work.

Cons

Cafe food is not good. Not much exciting talks from outside field experts.

Hire more sharp engineers.

Difficult

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a flexible work environment and benefits are fair/good. I've learned a lot but every accomplishment has been by sheer determination and perserverance.

Cons

People do not work together, cross organizations or cross department. There is a mindset to only focus on your quarterly goals not the goals of the organization or company. There are multiple teams working on the same deliverables and no communication or alignment. It may be a different experience if you work at headquarters - but in this day and age a company should be better skilled at engaging, supporting and including remote employees.

Bring together teams to focus on corporate objectives. Help to establish clear roles, responsibilites and hand-offs. Communicate regularly on top initiatives - what they are and how an organization supports or is responsible for these.
    Invest in better systems and tools to help employees do their jobs.

Great Career Move for Me, Great first year!

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great working atmosphere. Management is very supportive. Leadership is very good. There is a great emphasis on training and development. There is both guidance and autonomy. I have learned a number of skills that have added to my success.

Cons

I would like to see a greater emphasis on building improvements into PowerExchange, especially in the area of supporting different database environments.

I would like to see support for additional databases built into PowerExchange CDC.

Great Management, Great Teams, Great Culture and Great World class products!

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Cary, NC

I have been working at Informatica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Leadership
    Excellent Benefits and Salaries
    Tremendous Work ethic
    Diversified Product lines
    Career Advancement Opportunities
    Training and Education

Cons

Amount of work load to number of resources available is not as balanced as would like but it's getting better
    With many products available the ramp up time for new employees may be a challenge

Remain focused
    Continue to recognize deserving employees
    Retain market leading position
    Continue cross selling products to existing customers

Great focus by leaders, fantastic work culture, fun to be here

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Informatica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Informatica has kept its focus on Data Integration, while at the same time adapting itself to how that market is evolving. There is a great informal culture that encourages innovation. It is currently at a position where it can benefit from the new trends in data integration - cloud and big data.

Cons

Taking a new initiative is generally encouraged, but taking it to the next level is much harder - to find organizational backing, getting resources and getting existing teams to respond.

Have more frequent reviews of the new initiatives. Get more direct employee feedback for key focus areas, especially from people who have been around for more than 3-5 years.

Good place to work.

I worked at Informatica

Pros

Informatica has a long history of hiring really smart people. Almost across the board, they find ways to hire the best and brightest. Expect everyone to be really smart, really helpful, and very, very polite.

Cons

I do not have many cons to report. If you want to try to get promoted and move up in the pecking order, you will be competing with the best and brightest.

Informatica Response

Dec 7, 2014Senior Employer Brand Manager

That is a great statement and one that we have found most all Informatica employees agree on. We thank you for your contribution to our reviews and wish you the best in your current endeavors.