Information Concepts Reviews

3.6

Cary Toor and Wayne Beekman

Still happy here...

I have been working at Information Concepts part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been with Info for 9+ years, and I am still loving it. This year I had my first child and Info was very supportive of my leave and allowed me to come back part-time to accommodate my new family life-style. They have been understanding about the adjustment new parents are going through, and it's been a relief to have the flexibility. I love my role and I truly enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

For me, Info is an ideal place to work. I've been with larger companies and felt lost in the shuffle. Here you have a chance to stand out and take ownership. But, as a small company, I can see it may not be or everyone. There is not a ton of structure, and people have to be self-motivated and proactive in speaking up when they need help.

Over the past couple of years, management has really improved internal communications. We have monthly meetings, bi-annual off site all staff meetings, and quarterly summaries from the principals via email. I would encourage management to continue to expand on internal communications.

Doesn't help employees grow

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Information Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects, diverse and talented developer team.

Cons

It's a small company, kind of with the start-up vibe, with some talented and friendly developers for the most part. However, the management and the CEO's are horrible. The CEO's are not respectful towards their employees, often acting deceitful and unreasonable towards them. A lot of the managers will throw you under the bus if need be to save their own neck. Dedicated, hard-working employees will be let go unnecessarily. Some of the projects are interesting, but the poor management and CEO's really take away any good thing this company has to offer. One thing I never understood is that team building exercises were in the parking lot every time (lunch, activities, etc.) - so strange.

Act respectful towards your employees, and value a team building environment.

A great first job for developers!

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Information Concepts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual work environment, flexibility on hours, young and friendly workforce. Great place for developers to get their skills honed. It is a great "bootcamp" for young developers right out of school. Easy to get stuff done. No "layers" of management to go through. The founders are very accessible! HR is great and very approachable.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but no one will hold your hand here. They expect you to hone your skills on your own and be proactive about staying up to date on technology. Sink or swim. Stay relevant or move out.

Keep benefits strong and a cool culture going.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

When you see one bad review among a crowd of good reviews - you have to ask...

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

When you look at reviews on Amazon and see one person rating a product with 1 star while everyone else gives it 4 or 5 stars, it's easy to identify the source of the problem.
    I have been with the company for almost 18 months. The principals are down-to-earth, intelligent, and their skills compliment each other's extremely well. You have the freedom to work in your own style, at your own pace, so long as you are productive. The employees are great, and most have been with the company for many years.

Cons

Only with Glassdoor - the site doesn't appear to do any checking to see if a reviewer is actually a current employee.

A place to grow and learn

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time

Pros

This is an 30 old company that sometimes feels like a startup -- As a developer, I have seen them push the envelope and adopt new frameworks and platforms to meet customer needs.

I don't feel like I am locked in from a technology standpoint -- I have worked on different projects with different platforms, .Net, Salesforce, and Open Source. We have started to deploy systems on Amazon and Azure.

Cons

Overall the guys that run this company have been doing it for a long time and they mean well, its tough to balance the different projects and skills needed to get everything out the door on time.

Everyone is busy on ther projects and sometimes you do not know what another team is working on.

Continue the off site meetings, they let everyone get together and understand the company direction and projects.

Look at the fake reviews on this site - that should tell you what you need to know

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you look at the positive reviews for IC you can see that they are all from the same date and all say the same things. This is because the owners took some of the staff into a room and asked them to post nice things because all of the real reviews were bad. Then the HR manager followed up with everyone to confirm that they did it. Thats why all the dates and themes are so similar. That should say something about the kind of place this is.

The good:
    Flexible work environment, sometimes interesting projects. One or two okay managers.

Cons

One owner is an asshat and the other is a control freak, they routinely yell at staff and blame them for bad business decisions. People are fired all the time, suddenly, while I was there the turnover was >50% in one year. They push out anyone who is super good because it threatens their egos. Management makes promises to customers that are impossible to keep and then throws temper tantrums - seriously. Some of the least mature people I have ever met.

This company probably won't look good on your resume in the NoVA tech market, one of the owners has a really bad reputation and the company is known for being slow to deliver.

Give it up and sell.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Network Administrative  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Network Administrative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, I've been here for just over a year now, so I figure I might as well write a review. I've had my fair share of different jobs before this one, but this one is the best I've ever had. I really like it here.
    My Pros:
    --I've learned A LOT!! I can't even begin to imagine how good for my career this job is. I look at this place as like "IT Bootcamp" - I've enjoyed the responsibility of using so many different technologies, and accomplished many different things, and in a short amount of time.
    --Casual and relaxed atmosphere; can dress casual, chat/joke around with co-workers (to a degree; we all know better than to slack--we're a small team so we know to "get 'er done").. Oh and depending on your job role and/or workload, you can sometimes work from home.
    --Everyone here is very smart, and very nice. I find I get along great with everyone, and have made several friends here.
    --There's free food, soft drinks, and coffee!
    --The boss has saved my life not once, but twice. lol. First, when I had no job, he hired me. And second, when my living situation turned bad, I got a raise when I asked for it, which let me move when I needed to. The boss is a genius, no-nonsense, economical business owner, and he's had the patience to teach me things that I did not know. I've also asked for certain books, for certs or job requirements, and they were ordered for me.
    --There can be a lot of work at times, but then other times the workload is light. I don't mind the variability, and I'm glad that, at least some times, there is free time to study at work. Doesn't get much better than that.

Cons

Can't believe the negative reviews on this site. To those afraid of spying, lol, no one spies on your computer. There's bigger fish to fry, believe me. And sure I've been paranoid about it too, but I've used tools to see what's going on, and well, there's nothing. There are helpdesk reports for if your hard drive runs low on space, or if you delete something from the files server, I can find out who it was from AD auditing. But that's about it.

If you feel under-compensated, then bring it up with them. Negotiate. And get your certs. They want you to get certs, they go out of their way to help you achieve that, so do that first and then you have better marketability. Simple.

Keep on keepin' on.

7+ Years with the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy having direct Contact with compay's two Principals.

The flexible, casual work environment make working here ideal.

I also like the small company environment where you get to know everyone. In my role, knowing everyone makes getting my job done easier.

Like several of my Information Concepts colleagues, I left the company when I moved out of the area and happily rejoined Info when I moved back to the DC area.

Cons

None for me. Although Consulting and small company environments are not for everyone. Our environment is not as structured as some, so a proactive, entrepreneurial spirit is a must here.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The company has been around for 30 years.
    - Overall reputation with their clients is excellent.
    - The owners are very flexible, and treat the employees with tremendous freedom and respect so long as you are productive, reliable and communicate well with your team, management and the customers.
    - Customer focused

Cons

- Relaxed atmosphere could be a negative if you lack initiative, and the ability to demonstrate and document your activity.
    - Quality of work environment could suffer if the team manager isn't up to the task. But, I think they've cleaned out the riff raff.

- Communicate more, and more often.

Good place to work, learn, grow

I have been working at Information Concepts full-time

Pros

Developers get to code, not manage projects or collect requirements
    Business analysts / project managers get to think creatively about how to solve customers' business problems.
    Project teams value and incorporate input from all team members to produce the best solution for the customer.
    Casual work environment, flexible work schedules, telecommuting.

Cons

Expectations can be high for speed and accuracy of work.
    Busy teams and flat organizational structure sometimes means people don't realize where to look to for guidance/approval.

Create a mobile-focused practice to get a bigger foothold in that space.

Worked for Information Concepts? Contribute to the Community!