Information Systems Intelligence

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.9

Ryan Leestma

A company growing and striving for greatness, pushing the bleeding edge of technology.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company Cars
    Company shirts and marketing material.
    An understanding CEO that makes great strides to bring the company into leading technologies.
    Paid YMCA membership and access to Triathlons in Grand Rapids and beyond (depends on your interest)
    This company will never give up on you. Its all about what YOU put into the company.

Great group of employees with large amounts of interest putting the companies customers first. We have been making great progress towards upholding our promises, turning the ordinary into extraordinary (as the CEO would say) and delivering the best experience we can.

Cons

Bad reputation from old employees.

ISI is a pretty small company, so when someone leaves the responsibilities tend to fall on others until someone else is hired.

Keep pushing for employee growth. Give better salaries to people starting out.

The benefits are on par with most tech companies in GR. Would be nice to have extra incentive like more than 2 weeks vacation, or split vacation and sick time. 3-4 weeks for higher tier/projects would be great.

Hire more stable sales and let the sales get out to really push us into the market. Not really sure how that area works though, because I'm not in it.

The grass is dead here

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence

Pros

Very well paid if you're okay with taking advantage of customers and being treated poorly.

Cons

I laugh every time I’m told there is a new review. I come back here to find its either brutally honest or it’s so fake the Onion newspaper could post it. The owner Mr. Leestma has trouble accepting the fact that his company is poorly run and he doesn't treat people well. He would rather blame others and believe everyone is attacking him because he is successful.

I worked at ISI for a while. I’m not going to state how long because every time one of these is posted they try to narrow it down and figure out who it is. He is a sue happy owner who has sued employees that leave and even tries to sue Glass Door to have negative reviews taken down. He will ask or bribe employees to write good reviews.

The truth is the turnover is terrible. The worst I have ever seen but Leestma will claim it’s industry standard. ISI has trouble maintaining customers and hiring people because of the terrible reputation. Consulting companies all over Michigan will laugh when they hear ISI. The company is down to under 30 employees and who knows if Leestma solved his “cash flow” problems.

Go elsewhere. There are plenty of great Consulting companies in Western Michigan and you
    might not be able to work at them, a customer, or any IT related position in Michigan if you come
    here first.

Hopefully Mr. Leestma doesn't quote a Bible verse damning me to hell when he reads this.

Seek professional medical help.

Opportunity to Grow

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence

Pros

Nice team of people to work with. Good work-life balance, typical hours are 8-5. Lots of opportunity to grow, if you show initiative and work for it. The company is big enough to have a good mix of projects, but small enough that good work is recognized. Generous time-off given after 90 days. Health insurance and 401k are also offered.

Cons

As in any young, growing company, it seems the company is still finding the right balance. As good talent is added to the group, I think they will find the right rhythm.

Actively encourage all employees to develop and grow in their areas of expertise.

The future of ISI

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Wyoming, MI

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, ISI on the surface

ISI is comparative to most IT companies in West Michigan, certainly of this headcount. Whether you consider that is a good or bad thing is up to the perspective employee to decide. In my experience ISI has very similar benefits in terms of healthcare, salaries and growth potential for it's employee's. The salaries tend to be a little higher, historically for the wrong reasons, though the trend is that they are now simply going to be more competitive with the rest of the industry. I think at this stage ISI can simply be more in-line with the industry on salaries due to improvements in the general culture, though there is a little way to go.

Healthcare is "blanket", in that you are provided with medical, dental, and vision, which requires the usual contributions from the employee. There is also an available YMCA membership covered by the company provided you go frequently enough. If you're highly motivated, time permitting, and you wish to pursue certification, ISI will fund those certs. Books and courses can be provided, as well as paying for the examinations on your first attempt.

Now the people

The ISI support team, and what I would class as the extended support team, has some very helpful and very talented engineers. It has taken a long time to weed out the people who really didn't belong there, but now there is a very honest and upfront group of people who through the challenges and quite honestly stress, strain, and turmoil, have bonded and will look out for each other. If a new team member joins the Support Team, they should know that the team will do whatever is necessary to help you and to make you feel like a part of that team. In recent times a new Support Manager has joined the team. The Support Manager is somebody with a lot of experience, a lot to offer, and has made some very good changes and helped to build the team and will continue to do so I'm sure. He isn't everybody's cup of tea, but is making some good changes and trying to move ISI forward.

The ISI operations team are great. Our previous operations manager was a friend of mine and I respect her very much for the work she did, and for being a great person to work with. The new operations manager is also very good and very easy to work with, she is a people person and very approachable.

Cons

Firstly, I will not be making any inflammatory comments, or attacking individuals, those who know me will know that I just don't really see the point.

ISI can be a very challenging place to work. In the past there has been, in my opinion, a high amount of turnover, though since the departure of some individuals that I would class as detrimental to ISI's chances of change, the turnover has slowed significantly. The strength that the team has begun to build is making people realize that they should treat each other with more respect and patience. Yes, there is some way to go before the company is out of the woods, but I think it could happen if things continue the way they are and people remain calm.

Currently, even with a talented group of people, resources and lifelines are tight, and headcount is low. I believe that ISI needs to work on its image, starting from the inside. The general consensus with recruiters and other companies is that ISI is a rough place to work, which has been true. Improving that opinion will allow ISI to employ more of the right people at the right price and move on from the past.

The staff are great, but little hints from management of "the old way of doing things" makes people bitter and they're unhappy, and believe me they will voice it. The people internally will admit that things are somewhat better, but are very dismissive of the notion that things will really change. They are justified in feeling that way, but making a leap of faith one last time might help. Then if that fails, move on and be happy elsewhere.  I feel there is still at times a temptation for management to work to a price point and not to focus on the most important thing, requirements. I have seen this fairly recently, and had a number of people raise concerns that solutions were "never going to work" or "will work, but not be in-line with customer expectations". This should not be read in any way as an attack, but as a eye opener with some constructive comments. I am simply stating that mistakes are being made and a change of focus will fix that. Fix that and you will begin to fix an image internally and then in turn, externally.

Keep doing what you are doing right now, and do not fall back into old practises that give people a reason to attack you on sites like this. Be honest, fair, transparent, and do not leave your actions open to interpretation.

If when ISI bids on something you would have to make compromises to get the business and to meet a price-point, if you cannot absorb that in margin and still offer the same outcome, accept that the bid was lost and move on to the next. You don't look bad for losing a bid, only for executing it badly.

The people at ISI want to be busy and have a flow of work coming in that challenges them, but they do not want to work on things that they don't feel good about. Even with the talent at hand, do not assign projects to people unless they can do the job well and it won't burn them out. This has often been the reason why people have left and why you then see very reactive and angry comments on Glassdoor. You can stop this, and hopefully my review, which is quite positive, can be a sign of things to come.

The work I have seen in billing recently and the way that clients are handled is good, this is your best chance of really growing and making people happy. I have been impressed of late on the concessions you have been willing to make to make the customer happy and this is key in improving the company image.

Above all, always be good to your employees, recognize how your actions or even your presence may affect them, and although you should never have to baby people, understand that they are on the front-line and under the most pressure, and they deserve to have your ear, respect, and understanding.

Good luck with the future

APPLY with Extreme Caution

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence

Pros

The only pros would be if you are a person who wants to spend all your non-working hours participating in triathlons.

Cons

I agree with many of the comments made that describe a revolving door, and high turnover. The owner claims to be a Christian company, complete with Bibles in the lobby, but his treatment of employees paints a different picture. If you do sign on, make sure you get everything in writing so you can hold the owner legal accountable to keep any promises.

You can have the strongest work ethic and build your company from the ground up, but the strength of your company depends on the way you respect and lead and coach your team of employees. Additionally, having a humble posture that perhaps you may not have all the answers would take you much farther in growing this company.

Avoid at all costs. I can't be more clear.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid well. Building is somewhat nice.

Cons

Everything else. As shady as the day is long.

As a former employee, the best thing I can say is that I am a FORMER employee. I will say I liked my WORK and my co-workers, but hated the atmosphere caused by the owner and, by the time I left, was ashamed to tell anyone where I worked.

Before the rebukes or “defense of the company” posts, or even better, the oddly worded and highly suspicious “this place is a great place to work!” posts appear to cancel out this post, let me preface this by saying this is not a personal attack. This is a commentary on MY perspective of MY time working at ISI. It is simply one person sharing their opinion with potential employees.

POTENTIAL ISI EMPLOYEES: If you want to know about the company, look at these posts. What do you see? You see employees, many of them, telling you what they have experienced. You also see the owner telling you over and over, that what these people are saying isn’t true. You see posts that are one extreme or the other. The real posts where people say avoid this place and the other posts from “employees” saying that ISI is a great place to work. Be suspicious of the later.

What you will find at ISI is an owner who is concerned with the here and now and what’s in it for him. No matter what you hear, no matter what he says, (and he is slick and polished) you DO NOT MATTER. Getting HIS pockets full is what matters and if that comes at the expense of commission that was to be paid to you, or promises that were made to you, well, then so be it. It is a “you have to be billable all of the time” or “you have to be selling all of the time” way of life around ISI. What have you done for me lately! When business is slow, he doesn't lay off employees, he just fires them. Don't worry if they have families or they are in school or that they signed on to help him. When times are tough, hit the road. He wants you to give all you have but nothing in return. If you do make the AWFUL mistake of working there, get absolutely everything in writing...EVERYTHING!

The fact is perception IS reality. If he was genuinely concerned with making his company and his company’s reputation better, he would LISTEN to his employees and act. Instead, what you get is a “revelation”, 3-5 weeks of the new and improved ISI and then a return to the status quo. ISI leadership are self-admitted “starters”. They don’t follow up or finish anything. It’s easy to make a promise but hard to keep it. For instance, here is what January – June 2014 looked like with some company initiatives:

1) Be generous and give back to the community. If the community (read: the press) sees that ISI cares, this will improve the company image. This initiative lasted about a month around Christmas time (when everyone feels generous). Since then, ZIP!, Zero! Nada! When the tornados in Kentwood struck a few weeks ago, in the neighborhoods of some of the ISI employees and it’s own backyard, ISI didn’t even offer an afternoon to volunteer to help.
    2) Become the IT Leader in Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland. Expand in to the surrounding communities. That idea lasted for about 2 months and then…eh.
    3) Look at the internal processes and improve the company from within. Nope, we’re fine. If someone has a problem with the way we do things, let ‘em leave.
    4) I’ll embrace a company called Char-Tec who will get us on the right path. Nah, too many rules.
    5) Take a DISC test to see where we all should be. No, wait! Wait!
    6) Take the Kolbe test to see if we’re the right person for the job (green=good, red=bad). Ah, forget that Kolbe test stuff. That’s not new and exciting anymore.

I can’t speak to the comment about 50 employees in 30 months, but I can speak to what I have seen. In the last 12 months, 14 employees have quit out of a staff that is in the 30 person range. That’s a lot!

There are some great people that work there, all trying to escape. It’s hard, because the salaries are usually very good, but people then have wonder why they sold their soul for such as small amount. There are a few that have been there long enough and have hitched their wagon to the ISI Train and will stay on as long as the money flows to them. However, most have realized that their integrity is worth more to them.

I think one of the best lines of 2014 came from an customer who was considering ISI for a telephone project. The project on which ISI was working was well past the time it was supposed to be completed and fraught with bugs and glitches. This was in the late winter when the owner of ISI likes to spend a lot of time at his home in Florida. The person said, “Maybe he should be worrying less about his flowing blond hair in the sun and more about his company.”

Let me just say, to you, perspective employee, don’t sell your soul. Don’t sell your integrity. You can do better. I left for a lower paying job and I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER! Money isn’t everything. LOOK ELSEWHERE. Since ISI is a Christ centered company (snicker), you’ve seen the billboards, let me close with a quote.

Proverbs 28:6 Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways.

Don't ever work here or do business with ISI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

All the people are great to work with except the owner .

Cons

All the negative reviews on here are not only true but only the tip of the iceberg. Fact....ISI has gone through 50 employees in 30 months...( I have seen documentation)
    Fact: it's the owners way or the highway
    Fact: way too many unhappy clients and employees.
    Too much shady things going on from the owner

Let someone with integrity run the day to day

Fun company, lots on the horizon

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of stuff on the horizon for ISI. They just hired a marketing manager, a business process analyst, and another engineer. Everyone is great to work with and there are a variety of people willing to help you grow in your position. Company culture is also getting an overhaul as well. Right now there are two softball teams and a handful of people training for a half ironman together. I'd say camaraderie is key at ISI.

Cons

Sometimes there's just TOO much going on. The growth is exponential that there's sometimes too much work and sometimes you find yourself flying from project to project. That works great for people who enjoy variety though! There needs to be more staff connections. Perhaps a monthly newsletter promoting wins and triumphs for employees and the company as a whole!

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI

Pros

ISI has collected some of the brightest minds in the industry. The company tries to inspire the best in its employees financially, mentally, physically and through charitable work in the community. Educational Incentives and development plans encourage engineers to pursue certifications and stay on top of their game. ISI tries to motivate employees physically with paid Gym memberships and the current Triathlon challenge -dont worry both are optional! The company also is very charitable. It is not uncommon to work on projects for non-profits. Growing company which is open to new ideas.

Company is transparent with many concerns, allowing employee input prior to decisions being made.

Cons

In an effort to keep up with changes and growth, requirements/guidelines change often. This is usually not a problem as long as everyone is communicating.

Keep finding new ways for employees to take ownership (figuratively) in the company.

Dreadful

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time

Pros

Good learning experience, good compensation

Cons

Micro managing and policies put in place were changing daily. Huge turnover rate.

Change your management style