Information Systems Intelligence

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014
2.7

Ryan Leestma

Fun company, lots on the horizon

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of stuff on the horizon for ISI. They just hired a marketing manager, a business process analyst, and another engineer. Everyone is great to work with and there are a variety of people willing to help you grow in your position. Company culture is also getting an overhaul as well. Right now there are two softball teams and a handful of people training for a half ironman together. I'd say camaraderie is key at ISI.

Cons

Sometimes there's just TOO much going on. The growth is exponential that there's sometimes too much work and sometimes you find yourself flying from project to project. That works great for people who enjoy variety though! There needs to be more staff connections. Perhaps a monthly newsletter promoting wins and triumphs for employees and the company as a whole!

Aug 17, 2014

Thanks for your review. The reality is that some people made negative contributions and went unchecked for too long. We are trying to create camaraderie through healthy, team oriented activities ... More

APPLY with Extreme Caution

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence

Pros

The only pros would be if you are a person who wants to spend all your non-working hours participating in triathlons.

Cons

I agree with many of the comments made that describe a revolving door, and high turnover. The owner claims to be a Christian company, complete with Bibles in the lobby, but his treatment of employees paints a different picture. If you do sign on, make sure you get everything in writing so you can hold the owner legal accountable to keep any promises.

You can have the strongest work ethic and build your company from the ground up, but the strength of your company depends on the way you respect and lead and coach your team of employees. Additionally, having a humble posture that perhaps you may not have all the answers would take you much farther in growing this company.

Avoid at all costs. I can't be more clear.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid well. Building is somewhat nice.

Cons

Everything else. As shady as the day is long.

As a former employee, the best thing I can say is that I am a FORMER employee. I will say I liked my WORK and my co-workers, but hated the atmosphere caused by the owner and, by the time I left, was ashamed to tell anyone where I worked.

Before the rebukes or “defense of the company” posts, or even better, the oddly worded and highly suspicious “this place is a great place to work!” posts appear to cancel out this post, let me preface this by saying this is not a personal attack. This is a commentary on MY perspective of MY time working at ISI. It is simply one person sharing their opinion with potential employees.

POTENTIAL ISI EMPLOYEES: If you want to know about the company, look at these posts. What do you see? You see employees, many of them, telling you what they have experienced. You also see the owner telling you over and over, that what these people are saying isn’t true. You see posts that are one extreme or the other. The real posts where people say avoid this place and the other posts from “employees” saying that ISI is a great place to work. Be suspicious of the later.

What you will find at ISI is an owner who is concerned with the here and now and what’s in it for him. No matter what you hear, no matter what he says, (and he is slick and polished) you DO NOT MATTER. Getting HIS pockets full is what matters and if that comes at the expense of commission that was to be paid to you, or promises that were made to you, well, then so be it. It is a “you have to be billable all of the time” or “you have to be selling all of the time” way of life around ISI. What have you done for me lately! When business is slow, he doesn't lay off employees, he just fires them. Don't worry if they have families or they are in school or that they signed on to help him. When times are tough, hit the road. He wants you to give all you have but nothing in return. If you do make the AWFUL mistake of working there, get absolutely everything in writing...EVERYTHING!

The fact is perception IS reality. If he was genuinely concerned with making his company and his company’s reputation better, he would LISTEN to his employees and act. Instead, what you get is a “revelation”, 3-5 weeks of the new and improved ISI and then a return to the status quo. ISI leadership are self-admitted “starters”. They don’t follow up or finish anything. It’s easy to make a promise but hard to keep it. For instance, here is what January – June 2014 looked like with some company initiatives:

1) Be generous and give back to the community. If the community (read: the press) sees that ISI cares, this will improve the company image. This initiative lasted about a month around Christmas time (when everyone feels generous). Since then, ZIP!, Zero! Nada! When the tornados in Kentwood struck a few weeks ago, in the neighborhoods of some of the ISI employees and it’s own backyard, ISI didn’t even offer an afternoon to volunteer to help.
    2) Become the IT Leader in Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Holland. Expand in to the surrounding communities. That idea lasted for about 2 months and then…eh.
    3) Look at the internal processes and improve the company from within. Nope, we’re fine. If someone has a problem with the way we do things, let ‘em leave.
    4) I’ll embrace a company called Char-Tec who will get us on the right path. Nah, too many rules.
    5) Take a DISC test to see where we all should be. No, wait! Wait!
    6) Take the Kolbe test to see if we’re the right person for the job (green=good, red=bad). Ah, forget that Kolbe test stuff. That’s not new and exciting anymore.

I can’t speak to the comment about 50 employees in 30 months, but I can speak to what I have seen. In the last 12 months, 14 employees have quit out of a staff that is in the 30 person range. That’s a lot!

There are some great people that work there, all trying to escape. It’s hard, because the salaries are usually very good, but people then have wonder why they sold their soul for such as small amount. There are a few that have been there long enough and have hitched their wagon to the ISI Train and will stay on as long as the money flows to them. However, most have realized that their integrity is worth more to them.

I think one of the best lines of 2014 came from an customer who was considering ISI for a telephone project. The project on which ISI was working was well past the time it was supposed to be completed and fraught with bugs and glitches. This was in the late winter when the owner of ISI likes to spend a lot of time at his home in Florida. The person said, “Maybe he should be worrying less about his flowing blond hair in the sun and more about his company.”

Let me just say, to you, perspective employee, don’t sell your soul. Don’t sell your integrity. You can do better. I left for a lower paying job and I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER! Money isn’t everything. LOOK ELSEWHERE. Since ISI is a Christ centered company (snicker), you’ve seen the billboards, let me close with a quote.

Proverbs 28:6 Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways.

Oct 2, 2014

This is the owner of ISI.

This review is filled with libel and slander. It is a personal attack, and nothing more.

It is true, ISI is a for-profit organization. Our employees are crucial
    ... More

Don't ever work here or do business with ISI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the people are great to work with except the owner .

Cons

All the negative reviews on here are not only true but only the tip of the iceberg. Fact....ISI has gone through 50 employees in 30 months...( I have seen documentation)
    Fact: it's the owners way or the highway
    Fact: way too many unhappy clients and employees.
    Too much shady things going on from the owner

Let someone with integrity run the day to day

Aug 13, 2014

This is Ryan Leestma the owner. Instead of engaging in a personal attack anonymously, I would encourage you to come out from behind the anonymous curtain and see me directly. This review has ... More

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wyoming, MI

Pros

ISI has collected some of the brightest minds in the industry. The company tries to inspire the best in its employees financially, mentally, physically and through charitable work in the community. Educational Incentives and development plans encourage engineers to pursue certifications and stay on top of their game. ISI tries to motivate employees physically with paid Gym memberships and the current Triathlon challenge -dont worry both are optional! The company also is very charitable. It is not uncommon to work on projects for non-profits. Growing company which is open to new ideas.

Company is transparent with many concerns, allowing employee input prior to decisions being made.

Cons

In an effort to keep up with changes and growth, requirements/guidelines change often. This is usually not a problem as long as everyone is communicating.

Keep finding new ways for employees to take ownership (figuratively) in the company.

Jan 20, 2014

This is Ryan Leestma the owner. Thank you for your response. The market is a dynamic place, and those that adapt the quickest usually end up doing the best. We find ourselves in a market leading ... More

Dreadful

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time

Pros

Good learning experience, good compensation

Cons

Micro managing and policies put in place were changing daily. Huge turnover rate.

Change your management style

Oct 20, 2013

This response was obviously written with the intention of causing as much harm as possible. Policies never changed daily, do not change daily, and will not change daily. This is an obvious lie ... More

The best IT consulting company in West Michigan!

Pros

There is no place quite like ISI. In all of West Michigan you will not find a place more suited for long-term career growth and an organizational structure that puts so much emphasis on its people. The management team is an extremely durable and resilient bunch that seem to get things done even when the odds are stacked. This is the type of place where you could work 30 years easily. The stability here and lack of drama is what really sets this company apart. Not only does this company encourage growth but it is rewarded heavily if you are able to persist and attain certifications quickly. The turnover rate is another great thing about this company. During the time I have been here I have seen only about 20 people come and go which is great considering the company fluctuates around 30 people which is in line with industry standard.

Cons

It is hard to find any downside to his company (that is why it is 5 stars!). The owner is an extremely moral and ethical person who I have seen on numerous occasions go out of his way for people. When it comes to turning a quick profit or treating the customers right there is no question on which is the driving factor. The decisions that get made are never reactionary, never based on "short-term profit" and are based on what is in the best interest of the business and its employees.

Continue being awesome! The recent changes are really helping morale and I firmly believe we are on our way to setting some new records in the IT industry!

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks you for your complementary review! I would encourage you to try and find more areas where we can improve, because no matter how good something is, there's always room to grow. I appreciate ... More

Christian based company with strong family core values

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time

Pros

In this company voices are heard; The owner runs this company on christian biblical principals; Dynamic environment; Get to work on many things; Management cares about the employees; Training and certification is provided; Benefits better than most places; Family atmosphere; You have to work hard here but efforts are recognized - lots of little spiff/bonus programs. Everyone seems to want to do the right thing and ownership wants to continually get better. Company has been consistently profitable and a cornerstone for IT in the Michigan market.

Cons

The owner is human and is the fall guy for unhappy employees that never expresses their unhappiness until after they leave.

Stay who you are: continue improving the company; Your values and the way you run the company are an inspiration to hard working people.

Sep 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I am working on being perfect, will post back soon once I get there (that was a joke haha). There's always room for growth and development for us all.

Ryan

Learned a Lot

Former Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow and learn technology. I was given many opportunities in my first few months that would have taken years to get anywhere else. I was thrown right into the mix, started working on my own designs and building my own quotes within months of starting (with over-sight and direction from people much smarter than myself.) I learn best by doing, so it was a great opportunity for me to learn a lot about how different technologies work together and how they benefit clients.

Cons

On my first day, I was introduced to all of the gossip that surrounds ISI. There is a lot of drama and whispers of "can you believe that so-and-so told me that so-and-so got yelled at and then told so-and-so to screw-off?!?!" In the year and a half that I worked there, there were a lot of ups and downs, ISI doubled it's revenue last year, and looks to be doing it again this year. With this kind of growth, there are always growing pains, employees come and go, new clients are gained and some clients leave. This is all normal in a company that is growing quickly, and you learn from your mistakes, and eventually things settle down.

Sep 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. Yes, I will agree that gossip HAS been a bigger problem, in the past, although it is much better today. Sometimes I think people behave badly when they think they can get ... More

Growing Company, Endless Possibilities

Current Employee - This IS Michelle - Finance Manager in Wyoming, MI
    Current Employee - This IS Michelle - Finance Manager in Wyoming, MI

Pros

ISI has great potential and so do the employees who chose to work here. This work place is suited best for hard-working individuals with initiative and drive. PTO, insurance, 401k (fully vested day one), relocation, sign on bonuses, and certification and training reimbursement and bonuses are just a few of the benefits. The staff size here is small and close knit, small enough that company outings and monthly BBQ's are the norm, not the exception.

Change is priority one with the Owner and the Management Team, and I feel confident that we are on the right path. I like working here, I feel both challenged and rewarded, two factors that are important for me.

Cons

ISI has experienced its share of bumps and bruises along the way. I have read the reviews here on glassdoor.com, and yes there are some that are correct, but others that are not, not at all. The owner has high expectations and wants quick turnarounds, traits that are easily misunderstood.

ISI will be West MI top Technology employer, and there are about thirty reasons why (our employees).

Jul 17, 2013

I would agree. ISI's management team is filled with individuals that have similar backgrounds, strong families and hard work. For people who want to work hard, learn, and be in charge of their own ... More

Information Systems Intelligence Photos