Information Systems Intelligence

Information Systems Intelligence Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Ryan Leestma

Professional and Advancing

Desktop Support (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company is very professional and on the cutting edge of the industry. They highly encourage certifications and work with you to make sure your work (toward certs) is rewarded. They are perceptive at placing you in the right position and with the right clients and giving you the time and resources you need to get the job done effectively.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. The bad comments made are exaggerations of things no one likes, but ought to be.

Flag Review

Information Systems Intelligence Employer Representative responded to this review

Jan 26, 2014

This is Ryan Leestma the owner. Thank you for your response. Running a company is about helping people achieve their personal and professional goals, and I'm glad to hear that our efforts are ... More

Great Company

Wyoming, MI

ProsISI has collected some of the brightest minds in the industry. The company tries to inspire the best in its employees financially, mentally, physically and through charitable work in the community. Educational Incentives and development plans encourage engineers to pursue certifications and stay on top of their game. ISI tries to motivate employees physically with paid Gym memberships and the current Triathlon challenge -dont worry both are optional! The company also is very charitable. It is not uncommon to work on projects for non-profits. Growing company which is open to new ideas.

Company is transparent with many concerns, allowing employee input prior to decisions being made.

ConsIn an effort to keep up with changes and growth, requirements/guidelines change often. This is usually not a problem as long as everyone is communicating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep finding new ways for employees to take ownership (figuratively) in the company.

Jan 20, 2014

This is Ryan Leestma the owner. Thank you for your response. The market is a dynamic place, and those that adapt the quickest usually end up doing the best. We find ourselves in a market leading ... More

Dreadful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time

ProsGood learning experience, good compensation

ConsMicro managing and policies put in place were changing daily. Huge turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your management style

Oct 20, 2013

This response was obviously written with the intention of causing as much harm as possible. Policies never changed daily, do not change daily, and will not change daily. This is an obvious lie ... More

The best IT consulting company in West Michigan!

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is no place quite like ISI. In all of West Michigan you will not find a place more suited for long-term career growth and an organizational structure that puts so much emphasis on its people. The management team is an extremely durable and resilient bunch that seem to get things done even when the odds are stacked. This is the type of place where you could work 30 years easily. The stability here and lack of drama is what really sets this company apart. Not only does this company encourage growth but it is rewarded heavily if you are able to persist and attain certifications quickly. The turnover rate is another great thing about this company. During the time I have been here I have seen only about 20 people come and go which is great considering the company fluctuates around 30 people which is in line with industry standard.

ConsIt is hard to find any downside to his company (that is why it is 5 stars!). The owner is an extremely moral and ethical person who I have seen on numerous occasions go out of his way for people. When it comes to turning a quick profit or treating the customers right there is no question on which is the driving factor. The decisions that get made are never reactionary, never based on "short-term profit" and are based on what is in the best interest of the business and its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being awesome! The recent changes are really helping morale and I firmly believe we are on our way to setting some new records in the IT industry!

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks you for your complementary review! I would encourage you to try and find more areas where we can improve, because no matter how good something is, there's always room to grow. I appreciate ... More

Christian based company with strong family core values

I have been working at Information Systems Intelligence full-time

ProsIn this company voices are heard; The owner runs this company on christian biblical principals; Dynamic environment; Get to work on many things; Management cares about the employees; Training and certification is provided; Benefits better than most places; Family atmosphere; You have to work hard here but efforts are recognized - lots of little spiff/bonus programs. Everyone seems to want to do the right thing and ownership wants to continually get better. Company has been consistently profitable and a cornerstone for IT in the Michigan market.

ConsThe owner is human and is the fall guy for unhappy employees that never expresses their unhappiness until after they leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay who you are: continue improving the company; Your values and the way you run the company are an inspiration to hard working people.

Sep 21, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I am working on being perfect, will post back soon once I get there (that was a joke haha). There's always room for growth and development for us all.

Ryan

Learned a Lot

Sales (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to grow and learn technology. I was given many opportunities in my first few months that would have taken years to get anywhere else. I was thrown right into the mix, started working on my own designs and building my own quotes within months of starting (with over-sight and direction from people much smarter than myself.) I learn best by doing, so it was a great opportunity for me to learn a lot about how different technologies work together and how they benefit clients.

ConsOn my first day, I was introduced to all of the gossip that surrounds ISI. There is a lot of drama and whispers of "can you believe that so-and-so told me that so-and-so got yelled at and then told so-and-so to screw-off?!?!" In the year and a half that I worked there, there were a lot of ups and downs, ISI doubled it's revenue last year, and looks to be doing it again this year. With this kind of growth, there are always growing pains, employees come and go, new clients are gained and some clients leave. This is all normal in a company that is growing quickly, and you learn from your mistakes, and eventually things settle down.

Sep 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. Yes, I will agree that gossip HAS been a bigger problem, in the past, although it is much better today. Sometimes I think people behave badly when they think they can get ... More

A Great Employer with Many Opportunities

Wyoming, MI

ProsWhile I have not been working for ISI for very long, I am very excited about my opportunities here. There is a solid base of good people working for the company, people that are invested in ISI and eager to see it do well. Management gives many opportunities for formal training and they allow employees to grow and expand in their preferred field of interest.

ConsThere is a problem with some employees gossiping and being too nosy. I think that certain employees need to worry more about their own job and less about the rumors of other people. Currently ISI is looking to fill a couple positions that are going to be very important for the organization of the company, ISI will be in a transitional period for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way that ISI is trying to rely more and more on team leaders and less and less on having one or two people make all of the decisions is a good decision. Sticking with this plan is going to take time and effort, but will relieve the tension between some employees and the higher management.

Jul 17, 2013

This is Ryan Leestma the owner. I would agree with the con on this one. One of our organizational weakensses is "calling the baby ugly", because frankly, it's uncomfortable. I am probably the ... More

Growing Company, Endless Possibilities

This IS Michelle - Finance Manager (Current Employee)
Wyoming, MI

ProsISI has great potential and so do the employees who chose to work here. This work place is suited best for hard-working individuals with initiative and drive. PTO, insurance, 401k (fully vested day one), relocation, sign on bonuses, and certification and training reimbursement and bonuses are just a few of the benefits. The staff size here is small and close knit, small enough that company outings and monthly BBQ's are the norm, not the exception.

Change is priority one with the Owner and the Management Team, and I feel confident that we are on the right path. I like working here, I feel both challenged and rewarded, two factors that are important for me.

ConsISI has experienced its share of bumps and bruises along the way. I have read the reviews here on glassdoor.com, and yes there are some that are correct, but others that are not, not at all. The owner has high expectations and wants quick turnarounds, traits that are easily misunderstood.

Advice to Senior ManagementISI will be West MI top Technology employer, and there are about thirty reasons why (our employees).

Jul 17, 2013

I would agree. ISI's management team is filled with individuals that have similar backgrounds, strong families and hard work. For people who want to work hard, learn, and be in charge of their own ... More

Great opportunity for Personal and Professional Growth

Wyoming, MI

ProsOwner believes in individuals that he brings in. Company encourages and pays for training and certifications. Honesty and hard work ethic will be rewarded. Benefits are good, pay is competitive. Promotion and leadership are attainable for employees willing to motivate and push themselves.

ConsA select few employees promote gossip, untruths, and are not qualified to perform tasks required of them and are unwilling to learn. In the past, employees have taken advantage of the owner's willingness to trust them and give them opportunities. The tendency for former/current employees is to blame management whenever things go wrong. In general, everyone needs to just take responsibility for themselves and stop being so concerned with everyone else. Also, the structure in each department tends to shift regularly which promotes a lack of direction and chaos, but a great strategy was recently put into place which should eliminate these issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people who have proven themselves. Stay with the plan recently put into place and develop consistent models. This company has continually grown in revenue and will continue to do so if the right people are calling the shots. Do not be afraid to take responsibility and always do your best to promote honesty and hard-work and deal with those who spread unfounded gossip and rumors.

Jul 17, 2013

Thank you for your response. I believe that we have a solid management team in place, and we're looking to complement that with some operations expertise in the near future.

Do yourself a favor... pass.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Information Systems Intelligence full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are one or two good guys left on the project side. The owner's wife, who used to be the HR person, is really cool.

ConsBad benefits. Childish work environment. Very restrictive non-compete agreement that they force you to sign upon hire.

Blaming employees for sales/management mistakes is a very common occurrence, which usually results in engineers and office staff getting "thrown under the bus" for broken sales promises or when the owner gets called out by a customer for trying to get around obligations for promises that he made to customers. After getting any training you're expected to sign something stating that you won't leave for a year or more - which is why hardly anyone accepts training. No one wants to commit after being around after a few months when they see what the atmosphere is like.

Quitting gracefully is impossible. Every time someone quits its like a bad high school break-up. Lawyers get involved, the owner makes threats, etc. Talk to any former employee, they'll tell you exactly what it's like.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Stop trying to own people.

Jul 11, 2013

This is Ryan Leestma the owner.

ISI requires employees to sign non-competes because frankly, it is standard industry practice and no services organization is anything without it's employees ... More

Worked for Information Systems Intelligence? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Information Systems Intelligence reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Information Systems Intelligence CEO Ryan Leestma. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Information Systems Intelligence employees.