Information Today Reviews

Reset
2.6
Thomas H. Hogan

1. Good Entry Level Positions

I have been working at Information Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low-key, relaxed atmosphere. Work at your own pace , not much accountability. Acceptable working hours and liberal holidays and PTO.

Cons

Family run business; minimal opportunity for advancement. For an information technology, publishing company, the technology used is old school with no interest to improve.

Advice to Management

Listen to suggestions from your employees. Show some appreciation, rather than take for granite. Let your employees feel there is a future at the company and they are part of the culture.

2. Love my job, hate my salary

Current Employee - Employee in Medford, NJ
    Current Employee - Employee in Medford, NJ

I have been working at Information Today full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have a fantastic manager who really goes to bat for employees. Otherwise see the cons.

Cons

There has been a salary freeze for about 4 years. Family owned company is family run company which places family members in positions they aren't qualified for. Little room for advancement. Outdated, clunky Websites don't reflect well.

Advice to Management

The economy is starting to turn around. Show this by giving employees long overdue raises and competitive salaries, the main reason why a lot of younger workers leave after a year. Also, examine if your family members are really qualified for jobs...it's a well known joke about the nepotism.

3. Information Yesterday

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant

I worked at Information Today full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't even know. The converted Victorian house that they used as headquarters was pretty cute, I guess?

Cons

The entire company lags very far behind actual developments in the fields in which they purport to be experts. The design of their website and online services alone, an integral part of their business model, are dated by at least a decade. Flagship magazine, due to puzzling and inept editorial management, is a self-deluded joke. The only magazine I've worked for in which drafts were returned to me in far worse shape than when they were turned in. Conversations with former employees confirmed these bizarre edits are the norm, as were weirdly vindictive, and unwarranted, passive aggressive insults from the editor. An editor who seems to have a tenuous grasp on how to construct a coherent story and limited understanding of the grammatical rules that govern her native language.

5. I felt very comfortable and valued, until I got phased out.

I worked at Information Today (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent supervisor/manager, who made me feel very appreciated. Location was off the beaten commuter path; very loyal and likeable small-town people in command. Casual office environment and company culture. Generous PTO policy.

Cons

Low pay, no promised "annual reviews" offered in many years - let alone no raises; even took a company-wide pay cut. (But yes, the bad economy really hurt; even caused furlough days for a while.) Facility overcrowded and very outdated.

Advice to Management

Many employees flapped jaws and criticized others - including management. I had more respect for you than that.

6. Promotes Future, Lives in Past.

I worked at Information Today

Pros

1) Generally Casual Work Environment 2) Good Health Insurance and Benefits Packages 3) Most People are Nice, Friendly 4) Younger People Would Benefit From Working Here; Good Beginning Experience 5) Cover Interesting Topics and Technological Innovations in Their Publications

Cons

1) Lack of Clear Communication 2) Lack of Training, Supervision 3) Not Very Open or Warm Environment 4) Minimal Digital Media Strategies (Still Investing Mostly In Print) 5) Main Office (At Least) is Old, Dingy, Unclean 6) Promotes New-Age Technology Without Implementing Any of It 7) Heavy Rotation in Some Departments and Positions

Advice to Management

Make an Effort to Get to Know Your Employees, All of Them. (And a Once-a-Year Luncheon Doesn't Count as Creating a "Family" Atmosphere.) Encourage Open Communication, Top-to-Bottom and Bottom-to-Top. Be Explicit With Expectations.

Low pay, great benefits

I worked at Information Today

Pros

- Great Benefits - Casual atmosphere

Cons

- Low pay - Small workforce with large workload - Wasteful spending - Not much room for advancement due to the CEO's family being preferred over other employees

Advice to Management

Lower the number of trade shows and magazines or increase the workforce; pay salaries comparable to other businesses in the area; control logistics and wasteful spending.

8. Innovative publishers with knowledgeable and creative employees

Current Employee - Editor in Medford, NJ
    Current Employee - Editor in Medford, NJ

I have been working at Information Today

Pros

Quality product (publications) Flexible work at home policies Excellent reputation in industry

Cons

Just the challenges of working in publishing these days, and working at home if you choose to do so

Advice to Management

Keep up the innovating where necessary!

RSS Feed </> Embed