Ingenuity Systems Reviews

3.5
Jake Leschly

1. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Ingenuity Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ingenuity Systems was a nice company to work at

Cons

Nothing negative to list about Ingenuity Systems

2. We'll know in a few years

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Ingenuity Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like my direct managers and weekend and late-night work is rare. Very busy but expectations were reasonable when I started. Very smart people with proprietary systems so there is plenty to learn and small enough to feel like your contribution will make a difference. Bought by Qiagen, the upper management has ambitious goals for products. There is enough latitude within my position to do novel work if it aligns with general team goals.

Cons

Because of the small size, and management/senior staff who have been around 10 years, there really is no path for moving up in this company. Even lateral movements into other departments was explicitly discouraged when I interviewed--they made it clear I was hired to do one thing, and I had no other options--which is strange, as I have had many interviews elsewhere where managers boast of the opportunities to move around. It's indicative of the general paralysis in the company culture. The people I work with are great, there is a layer of management I have never spoken to that sit 20 feet away... why is that? I have no idea what they do.

Advice to Management

People will come and go without a sense that they can learn and grow within the company. If in three years in the same position there is nothing else for me to do but more of the same, why would I stay?

3. Great learning experience and job satisfaction

Former Employee - Engineering Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Ingenuity Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to work with such a great group of people and learnt a lot. Ingenuity has a great culture; innovative, helpful and working hard to deliver cutting edge products that help advance science and medicine. Ingenuity is now part of my DNA. Very nice work place, with scenic views and a world class gym.

Cons

Cafeteria is okay but could be nicer. Also not many restaurants close by.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work trying to innovate and push cutting edge products to the scientific community. Focus more on external partnerships and business model and less on internal execution. You have a world class team that can execute very effectively and meet or exceed agressive business deadlines.

5. Good place to learn

I worked at Ingenuity Systems full-time

Pros

Nice business park, developing interesting products (at least from a scientific and clinical perspective), friendly co-workers, lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

middle-of-the-road compensation, inspiration pretty much has to come from within because it's tough to find it elsewhere, individual career progression is not very apparent, it is unclear whether it is worth an employee's time and effort to go above and beyond the call of duty

Advice to Management

Improve transparency in an effort to improve the culture; Employees can see through the corporate MBA talk so avoid using it; Inspire the employees rather than just expect them to be inspired on their own

6. Enter at your own risk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Ingenuity Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafe in business park, quality office supplies, snacks at company meetings, free soda

Cons

Inept management across the board, inability to effectively release new products (lack of real product managers), strategies turn on a dime, slow to adapt to changing environments, painfully slow/bad decision making. Inability to acknowledge challenges and recent attrition issues, employees are left to make assumptions on their own, resulting in a pretty negative culture. Non-competetive salaries.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP!

7. A good place for a first job

Former Employee - Customer Support Scientist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Scientist in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Flexible with work/ life balance Interesting products that are sufficiently tested before release Smart colleagues who were hard working and customer-minded

Cons

Not allowed to be very creative in this job Difficult to get new project ideas approved by management Product management doesn't listen to customer/ technical support input

Advice to Management

Allow employees to be more creative, and listen to their feedback. I never felt challenged at this job and could have done more if allowed.

8. Excellent engineering practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Smart people who put a lot of thought into the products to be developed and the problems that need to be solved in order to deliver those products.

Cons

They haven't quite figured out how to crack the bioinformatics market although the foundation products/tools are should be a solid enough to build from.

9. Sum less than its parts.

Former Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA

Pros

A company ahead of its time in actually innovating content and software together. Excellent domain to have begun in. Some very smart people, although often hard to explain how long they've been there given corporate growth rate.

Cons

Every single disadvantage of a big company (politics, inflexibility, slow response time) with every disadvantage of a start-up (limited initial market, never expanded, and limited capital). Without being snarky, if you are experienced enough, a valuable object lesson in how smart people can fail to execute. Kind of a pro if you can learn to avoid these mistakes in future.

Advice to Management

Probably a case exhibit in when boards cease to care enough to make changes. I think it's obvious to anyone there in last 5 years that the CEO is wrong for the company. The company was driven by the technology rather than the market, because the CEO is not technical. The market they're building for can't support the value, but the management team is not from the market and can't manage this in an agile way. There have to be changes at the top.

10. Gained good experience but environment is very much churn and burn

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The company has a nice setting. The gym is really nice! Worked with smart people.

Cons

There is this constant feeling of going nowhere and repeating the same mistakes (simply put). Managers are nice personally but they are too driven by senior managers. Consequently we ended up with un-realistic schedules and half bake ideas.

Advice to Management

Hire some seasoned architects are re-do the whole thing (specially IPA)!

11. Execution is everything

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Brilliant vision for changing how science and medical research is done for improving health care. Way ahead of the curve compared to many other companies on this front.

Cons

Poor execution and lack of focus in management has limited the companies growth and viability. Need to do a better job translating the vision to reality.

Advice to Management

Refocus the company on bioinformatics and drug discovery. Don't extend to other areas until you have stable revenues in those areas.

RSS Feed </> Embed