Ingenuity Systems

Ingenuity Systems Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jake Leschly

Great learning experience and job satisfaction

Engineering Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI was fortunate to work with such a great group of people and learnt a lot. Ingenuity has a great culture; innovative, helpful and working hard to deliver cutting edge products that help advance science and medicine. Ingenuity is now part of my DNA.

Very nice work place, with scenic views and a world class gym.

ConsCafeteria is okay but could be nicer. Also not many restaurants close by.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work trying to innovate and push cutting edge products to the scientific community. Focus more on external partnerships and business model and less on internal execution. You have a world class team that can execute very effectively and meet or exceed agressive business deadlines.

Good place to learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems full-time

ProsNice business park, developing interesting products (at least from a scientific and clinical perspective), friendly co-workers, lots of opportunity to learn

Consmiddle-of-the-road compensation, inspiration pretty much has to come from within because it's tough to find it elsewhere, individual career progression is not very apparent, it is unclear whether it is worth an employee's time and effort to go above and beyond the call of duty

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove transparency in an effort to improve the culture; Employees can see through the corporate MBA talk so avoid using it; Inspire the employees rather than just expect them to be inspired on their own

Enter at your own risk

I have been working at Ingenuity Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCafe in business park, quality office supplies, snacks at company meetings, free soda

ConsInept management across the board, inability to effectively release new products (lack of real product managers), strategies turn on a dime, slow to adapt to changing environments, painfully slow/bad decision making. Inability to acknowledge challenges and recent attrition issues, employees are left to make assumptions on their own, resulting in a pretty negative culture. Non-competetive salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP!

A good place for a first job

Customer Support Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems

ProsFlexible with work/ life balance
Interesting products that are sufficiently tested before release
Smart colleagues who were hard working and customer-minded

ConsNot allowed to be very creative in this job
Difficult to get new project ideas approved by management
Product management doesn't listen to customer/ technical support input

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to be more creative, and listen to their feedback. I never felt challenged at this job and could have done more if allowed.

Excellent engineering practices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems

ProsSmart people who put a lot of thought into the products to be developed and the problems that need to be solved in order to deliver those products.

ConsThey haven't quite figured out how to crack the bioinformatics market although the foundation products/tools are should be a solid enough to build from.

Sum less than its parts.

Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems

ProsA company ahead of its time in actually innovating content and software together. Excellent domain to have begun in. Some very smart people, although often hard to explain how long they've been there given corporate growth rate.

ConsEvery single disadvantage of a big company (politics, inflexibility, slow response time) with every disadvantage of a start-up (limited initial market, never expanded, and limited capital).

Without being snarky, if you are experienced enough, a valuable object lesson in how smart people can fail to execute. Kind of a pro if you can learn to avoid these mistakes in future.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably a case exhibit in when boards cease to care enough to make changes.

I think it's obvious to anyone there in last 5 years that the CEO is wrong for the company. The company was driven by the technology rather than the market, because the CEO is not technical. The market they're building for can't support the value, but the management team is not from the market and can't manage this in an agile way. There have to be changes at the top.

Gained good experience but environment is very much churn and burn

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems

ProsThe company has a nice setting. The gym is really nice!
Worked with smart people.

ConsThere is this constant feeling of going nowhere and repeating the same mistakes (simply put).
Managers are nice personally but they are too driven by senior managers. Consequently we ended up with un-realistic schedules and half bake ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some seasoned architects are re-do the whole thing (specially IPA)!

If you are talented, this is not the place for you

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location.
You will learn a lot about this domain if you are interested.
Some talented engineers somehow ended up here (I don't know why I went there).

ConsThis is not a start-up. Dont expect a start-up environment here. Its not a big company either, so dont expect stability.
Politics.
Lack of direction or vision.
The company does not have agility so new ideas just die.
Some not so talented people on Software Management (SM) side have been here for 10 years or more. So sycophancy clearly results in job security and career development. Again, thats not how start-ups work. This kind of environment results in stagnancy.
Its embarrassing to see that they raised $15m recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm glad to see some changes in upper management. But whats the point if people who made careers out of being the Yes Men of the former CTO are still around? Nothing is going to change.

Execution is everything

I have been working at Ingenuity Systems

ProsBrilliant vision for changing how science and medical research is done for improving health care. Way ahead of the curve compared to many other companies on this front.

ConsPoor execution and lack of focus in management has limited the companies growth and viability. Need to do a better job translating the vision to reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus the company on bioinformatics and drug discovery. Don't extend to other areas until you have stable revenues in those areas.

Ingenuity was an ok place to work.

Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingenuity Systems

ProsI learned a few things. I was able to work with some talented people. Great location. I was able to learn more about the bio-tech saas space. They had some good enterprise customers, but they were having hard time getting companies to buy more from them. They were looking into the educational sector and getting some grants, but I don't think that was getting them the money they wanted.

ConsRigid. Not flexible in adopting new ideas. Needed be more focused on the core business and addressing enterprise customers needs. The oracle environment was archaic and rigid. We couldn't get management to sign off on growing the environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better. Pick your new hires wisely. I've seen some talented people let go because of short-sighted business decisions.

Worked for Ingenuity Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ingenuity Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ingenuity Systems CEO Jake Leschly. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Ingenuity Systems employees.