Ingersoll-Rand

Ingersoll-Rand Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach

Michael W. Lamach

Pros:
  • "As a huge company the benefits are decent and there is a fair work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Good benefits and ability to work with you on time"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is not easily found in current Ingersoll Rand business structure"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great company in the beginning, but that all changed with the IR transition (my way or the highway mentality)

Work Group Manager (Current Employee)
Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and benefits were great, but like many companies, the benefits became "watered down" over time with employees paying more for less.

ConsOpportunities exist, but like many companies, you have to be "one of the boys" for realistic consideration. Trane was a great company to work for, but transition to the IR model was brutal.

TRANSFORMING INTO A VALUE STREAM AND LEAN MANUFACTURING COMPANY

Business Systems Analyst/Parts Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
Kent, WA

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 3 years

ProsValues Process Improvement Analysis from the Top Levels of Management
Focused on delivering excellence to Customers
Strong NPD-New Product Development Team
Leader in the Winch and Hoist Heavy Lifting Industry

ConsNot enough investment in Infrastructure to support aggressive deliverables goals
Poor on-time deliveries performance
Not enough focus on day to day customer satisfaction issues
Aftermarket customer needs not being met
Not invested enough in the Repair of it's own Product Line. (Aftermarket support), relies on Channel Partners too heavily to provide the repair support function (giving away the store)

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a more robust IR-Qualified Repair Technicians Global Team to support the equipment in the Oil and Gas Industry Field
Invest in Repair, Rebuild and Overhaul Parts Kits Inventory that will support the Repair Efforts in the Field. Lead Times are way too long and do not support the customer needs of Today.

Ingersoll Rand is a great, great company to work for.

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you are passionate about your work and work ethic, IR helps you reach your career goals. They won't do it for you, but give you so much support to getting there. Great college reimbursement program, great, great health benefits and employee benefits. Many great managers too. Sure, there are not so good ones around, but the good ones are GREAT. I know IR has gone through so many changes in past years, but that's because they have their eyes open to the world around them and the economy and always strive to stay solid and strong. I appreciate that because it gives me greater job security in an unstable economy. The CEO Mike Lamach is fantastic. I love his vision as well as his ability to understand and relate with everyday employees. I know he is really trying to drive the IR culture down through our other companies and what a task that can be... Yes change is hard on people, but you better get used to it because life is always changing so we need to be ready to change along with it!! It gives us new opportunites to expand and grow and make a difference around us. I really believe in IR and have been through different transistions for 9 years. I started with Trane, who was bought by IR years ago and have worked for IR specifically for the past 5 years.

ConsI would have to say the one Con I see is that Ingersoll Rand still doesn't quite have a grasp on the Culture problems with one of their companies, Trane. While IR has great PMP and Development plans to help employees grow... The Trane culture still to this day, pays little attention to encouraging and helping their employees grow and feel valued. So when it comes time to do their PMP's many of those employees just laugh about it and say it doesn't matter what they put in there because nobody cares.... That's really sad to me. When it comes to survey time, which is the tool used to give IR feedback, many many of the Trane employees still don't put down "truth" because they are afraid of being repremanded and that Happens... I have had employees confide in me and tell me their stories... Again really sad to me... Trane needs to get with the program! IR needs to follow up better and make sure its being followed, rather than someone just checking a box...

Advice to Senior ManagementHmmm my advice is, if you really care about your other companies, like Trane... and really are serious about making changes that inspire and motivate ALL employees, you have to reach those employees. In the Trane world, it really is a good ole boys and girls club. You are not going to know employee morale or engagement by just asking managers and those in authority when it comes to Trane.... (and by the way, I work for IR not Trane).. Moral is really really low in Trane offices and I just see such an opportunity for GREATNESS, if you can find a way to really get their management to UNDERSTAND the importance of Valuing their employees, respecting them and helping them also grow and feel appreciated. Because they don't... Trane may be a solid company to work for, but they really LACK deeply in everything else when it comes to their employees being valued and inspired. It really makes me so sad to see it. Please pay attention to this. IR can be so much greater if they can break through this wall... There needs to be better enforced accountability, especially for PMP's. And I LOVE IR.. I am very thankful I work for IR and have an incredible boss and am on an incredible team. I LOVE coming to work every single day!! I just wish everyone could experience that and feel that way... So please help make that happen!!!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Learning Experience

Manufacturing/Lean Co-op (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as an intern

ProsGood Work culture, Friendly Co workers, Has a healthy team working environment

ConsNot all projects get implemented due to reasons.

Professional organization with top quality people.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefit package, interesting and diverse staff.

ConsLimited opportunity for sales career advancement...even for overachievers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great pay, that's about all

Payroll (Former Employee)
Davidson, NC

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is great and benefits are decent. About like most companies you have the 80/20 plan and must meet the deductible prior to insurance paying. The company has some really talented and intelligent people who know their stuff. They are abreast of technology, so they have the tools to make a great work atmosphere.

ConsManagement does not have your back. If someone complains, management comes down on you to appease the customer. There are no documented processes or procedures. Departments operate in silos and it seems like every person for themselves. Employment there is unstable and has done various layoffs unless you are in manufacturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow Managers to put their buddies in positions of management and they have no management skills. Or consider putting Managers through management training on how to treat and interact with employees. Don't hire people only to fire them in a short amount of time. Consider your communication policies and ensure all teams work together for a common goal.

Like any company, there are pros and cons

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGenerous compensation and benefits, great co-workers (at same level), opportunities to advance.

Consvery unstable employment (especially in IT), arrogant upper management, you'll be very prone to being burned-out, you will get the message very clearly that you are NOT trusted, there will be change for the sake of change over and over and over

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your cloud. Break down the wall between sector professionals and corporate execs. Give up some of that power. En-power your workforce. Value consistency and stability.

Decent place to work

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

ProsThe benefits. Pay is below average but not terrible

ConsVery difficult to advance. Rather than removing poor employees, they are moved to other groups in the organization at the same level. So ambitious employees have no room for growth. They hire employees for roles they have experience in, no matter how poorly they've performed previously, rather than giving highly motivated individuals a chance.

Stressful work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere were a lot of employee wellness programs that motivated employees to get a healthier life style. 401k match was good.

ConsFrequent restructuring and leadership changes jut about every year. Leaders were being held accountable. Internal promotions were limited or none existing.

Alot of work for little pay.

Floater (Former Employee)
Mocksville, NC

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsWork alot of overtime, and alot of weekends in summer.

ConsWork hard during summer, but laid of in winter for weeks at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter scheduling.

Worked for Ingersoll-Rand? Contribute to the Community!

Ingersoll-Rand Videos

Ingersoll-Rand – Why Work for Us?

Ingersoll Rand is composed of a diverse array of business and market-leading brands serving customers in global commercial, With more than 58,000 employees in locations worldwide, we offer career opportunities as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ingersoll-Rand reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ingersoll-Rand CEO Michael W. Lamach. All 329 reviews posted anonymously by Ingersoll-Rand employees.