Ingersoll-Rand

Updated September 9, 2014
3.2

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach
Michael W. Lamach

Pros
  • They provides a certain amount of flexibility in terms of work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is fine, but good luck ever moving up in this company (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A satisfying and rewarding internship experience (Trane Commercial)

Former Employee - Logistics Intern in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Logistics Intern in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

As an intern I received both credits at UW-La Crosse and monetary compensation for doing my job. The management group worked with me and used my experience in the skill set I already had, along with helping me in my databases class, which I was currently enrolled in. The company was very flexible about allowing time off for this position.

Cons

The lack of benefits for interns is understandable, but it would be nice if their child care compensation program was open to interns instead of just full-time workers. In my one year of internship, my department changed its name three times - I understand that going through a transition because a company bought you out may require shifts in structure. However, that was a little excessive, and confusing for transporters that we communicated with.

Update your legacy software to a current version. It's going to hurt due to all of the patches we've put on this version, but it will be less buggy for everyone involved in the long run.

Not a good environment

Former Employee - Materials Manager in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Materials Manager in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Nice people at the local level

Cons

Corporates created a massive overhead structure and sucked resources out of operations

OK place to gain experience, but no career path whatsoever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, leader in the industry. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Training is awful; people are training you who haven't done the job themselves in years. Company doesn't value lower level employees, even middle-level management is not respected. The top of IR runs everything, albeit not very effectively - rate of retention should be given more attention. There is no guidance given for how you can work your way up - no clear guidelines for what you have to do to get a promotion, raises are ambiguous, performance reviews are arbitrary. Work-life balance is fine, but good luck ever moving up in this company. It's all about the cronies at the top and who they're connected with.

Value the employee contribution from ALL LEVELS of the company. Better tactics for promoting from within besides who knows who.

Totally top down and you better not question anything or you'll be pushed out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Individual people very good to work with. Pay decent.

Cons

Management does not allow any questioning. La Crosse is poorly run and inflexible. Working atmosphere for salaried people is one of fear. Layoffs every few weeks so no one knows whether they will have a job the next day. Constant reorganization. Company no longer uses data to make decisions. It's all done by how they feel it should be. .

Start using data again for decisions. No more management on the fly.

Trane La Crosse

Current Employee - Manager in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay and benefits. Company is relatively stable and HQ is investing in this location. Most of the regular workforce are friendly enough.

Cons

There is a very bad company culture at this location. There is a general lack of appreciation and respect for employees. Constant finger pointing. management is clueless and reactive to latest crisis of the day, rather than long term priorities. Aging workforce that is just putting in their time and waiting to retire.

top management and HR should be replaced.

Good exposure for students

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Co-op in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Co-op in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Good projects
    2. Encouragement from management
    3. Enhancement of communication skills, interacting from operators to top management

Cons

1. Resistance from shop floor delays projects
    2. Co-op not given too much say
    3. Less support from cross functional teams

No one ever goes any where and they just seem to be trying to outsource everything.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Good coworkers, holidays, and benefits.

Cons

They appear to be trying to outsource everything but core engineering departments.

Don't outsource the people that care about the company.

Do it their way or...

I worked at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

They have a decent performance management system. It works well and is easily understood and processed. Pay scale and benefits within reasonable levels.

Cons

Highly inflexible. Very "processed-based," with little regard for historical perspective or doing things differently that the way they want it.
    No recognition for capabilities or past history/experience

Learn to recognize the talent you have or you will find them in the past tense. Your way is not the only way to get things done.

No respect

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Coworkers and products are great. Work is interesting most of the time.

Cons

Accounting management treats employees like school children rather than professional adults. Accounting has no work/life balance. You work hard, they just expect you to work harder and the raises don't even keep up with inflation.

Reward employees for their hard work instead of treating them like dogs.

#include <Corporate Life>

Current Employee - Programmer in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Programmer in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Ingersoll-Rand

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed work environment, friendly people, freedom to use tools and technologies that make sense.

Cons

Average small-town payscale, regular trickle-down of internal company projects without sufficient explanation of how they should be applied in day-to-day work (the stuff that actually benefits customers), busywork, poor collaboration between teams, insular attitudes reinforced by frequent reorganizations and strong push for outsourcing low-level knowledge.

Hold on to the people who know how stuff works, and let them work on it. A never-ending stream of outside consultants who develop and then abandon their work creates an atmosphere of apathy toward users and their problems, exacerbated by the company's habit of pushing employees into project-management busywork more concerned with process than results.

Ingersoll-Rand Photos