Ingersoll Rand Reviews

Reset
3.4
Ingersoll Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach
Michael W. Lamach

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is strong calling card for the company (in 24 reviews)

• good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not understood (in 14 reviews)

• Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees (in 12 reviews)

1. Great Executive Leadership

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful executive leadership. Mike Lamach is awesome! Amazing how much we see senior leaders on the production floor. They really get lean and are consistent in their message of creating a lean culture. Lots of focus on visual management, problem solving and coaching vs. directing.

Cons

Lots of middle management who are faking OPEX. You will have to move your family around some as you progress in your career (this is fair as it's a global company and spread all over).

Advice to Management

Too many financial and sales managers trying to climb a ladder and run everything and build an empire vs. just doing their jobs. Need more middle managers with operations and / or engineering experience in leadership.

2. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a strong international and well established company. The products are quality and superior to most on the market. Safety to all employees and customers is top priority. Pay is great along with benefits.

Cons

The management structure can be abnormal to most. The manager you work with most often may not be your direct supervisor who may not be in the same city or state but they provide feedback to your supervisor on your performance. I find this a poor way to manage and lead a team, especially if the direct supervisor does not interact with their reports face to face on a frequent basis.

3. maint. tech.

Current Employee - Plant Engineer[Maint Tech ] in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Plant Engineer[Maint Tech ] in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great co. to work with great benefits and awards for outstanding jobs.

Cons

some management personnel needs to be more considerate of work loads per person.

Advice to Management

more ungoing training in all areas for leads.

5. Amazing company and highly recommended for technicians overall, but not without some issues common to the industry

Current Employee - Service Technician
    Current Employee - Service Technician

Pros

There is an unfortunate lack of reviews here for hands-on positions. Seems the white collar office folks have the monopoly on Glassdoor. As a mechanic, this company is fantastic. TL;DR - Great pay and compensation, work vehicle/gas paid for, iPad and cell phone provided, most tools provided, results-oriented, you are your own boss a large percentage of the time, you make your own schedule, no two days will EVER be the same, you don't go to the same building every day to do the same crap every day, very low turnover, self-driven training opportunities, lots of support in the form of hotel stays (if needed), etc. I will stay here forever if they let me. I actually FEEL like a professional technician here. They allow me to do my job and make my own calls on things. Long review: You don't have to worry about budgeting for gas to commute to and from work - you are furnished a work vehicle (the current standard is a Ford F-150 XLE with Bluetooth, the turbocharged V6 Ecoboost, a Maranda cap, and a fantastic stereo) and the company pays for gas. All scheduled maintenance and repairs for the vehicle are taken care of by IR. As long as you are either on your way to or from a job, you can stop off wherever you need using it. However it is against policy to use the work truck on weekends or any other time after hours for personal use. You are given a new iPad Air on Verizon 4G LTE with an Otterbox case pre-loaded with IR apps. IR has amazing remote support capabilities. Your time 'on the clock' is managed completely by you on the proprietary Ingersoll Rand iPad software. You start jobs, put in notes and machine information, and research/order parts needed through your iPad. Emails, etc. are handled on the iPad. You are also provided a basic cell phone for work use. The truck, iPad, and cell phone comprise your mobile office. You are provided a company credit card to use for purchases that directly correlate to the completion of jobs. You are expected to provide your own basic hand tools, including wrenches up to the size of 1 1/4". Anything beyond that is provided by IR and if you are working on a machine and find you need a specific tool, you can run out and purchase that tool using your card. Due diligence and mindfulness is required when using the card... you can't just go out and buy a bunch of random crap with it. Be responsible. Adequate arc-flash hazard gear and fall restraint gear is provided and of good quality. You can purchase any and all safety gear you deem necessary using company funds and it is justifiable. Nobody will complain about your concern for safety. Now, beyond the material benefits, the pay (in my opinion) is fantastic. I make damn good money and I was hired on for nothing more than my Air Force experience as an aircraft electrician. This company has training out the rear end and you are in control of your own progress as a technician (something a lot of my coworkers can't seem to grasp). You have a service manager as your boss, but it is up to you to progress in your skills and knowledge. For example, I am working my way up to being a refrigerated dryer tech and that requires an EPA certification. For that, I simply went ahead to a local CC Dickson and purchased an EPA study-at-home course using my company credit card. I am studying the material and will take the test, after which I will complete other prerequisites and then sign myself up for dryer school in Davidson, NC. The company places a high value on autonomy, trustworthiness, and self-drive. This may not be a pro for some, but it is for me. Under extremely rare circumstances will you ever have your boss or anyone from management, or even a coworker with you. You work 90-plus percent of the time on your own, and you are autonomous. IR is very much a 'results-oriented' workplace, and it is up to you to manage your own time so that you complete your jobs. The customer is ultimately your boss and the one who will hold you accountable. If you are given a job scheduled for early morning on Tuesday, and you get up late and have your breakfast, etc. and leave the house late and don't get there and get going by 10 AM, the customer will notice and will blow up your service coordinator's phones and in turn you will get blown up. You need to be a responsible, mature, self-motivated adult and you have to hold yourself and your own performance accountable to succeed. Also, double time on Sundays and triple time on holidays. Regardless of hours that week. 15 business days paid vacation (essentially 3 weeks). Lots of different insurance benefits. Health insurance is HSA only, which is a massive CON. You have your 401k, etc. (I am prior military, a lot of these benefits make no sense to me). Once you have worked for IR for a year, you can transfer to any IR customer service center in the country. IR provides tuition assistance for college that directly benefits the company in exchange for a contract of employment for a set period of time. All of these factors together make me feel like an actual professional. Coming from a job at a car dealership and working under flat rate, I never felt like a professional and never felt like I could take pride in my job or my work. Not so at Ingersoll Rand. They give me the tools and the leeway to allow me to feel like a professional and to complete my job at a level that I deem to be worthy of being called 'professional.' I will stay here forever if they let me.

Cons

Now for the bad - it's never going to be all roses and sunshine, and IR is no different. TL;DR Training is terrible, extremely unpredictable schedule, nearly impossible to make plans off work on a day-to-day basis, techs are held to different standards, the nature of the industry hampers filtering out bad apples, inconsistent work practices and standards, hard to find technical data, the nature of the business and lack of any formal training path into the compressed air service industry causes a lot of issues with different mechanics of vastly different disciplines doing things 'their' way instead of the IR way Long: The training, which is there, is of questionable quality. The one class I have attended so far is an intensely rushed 1-week course, and my course in particular was taught by a field tech who was flown in from another location as they have nobody that is dedicated to the position of teaching (what?). He spoke extremely broken and accented English and it was almost impossible to understand what he was saying. He glazed over tons of important topics and I spent more time trying to decipher what words he was saying rather than the content of what he was saying. It was a huge problem and I am aghast that it has not been addressed earlier. It was impossible to take anything away from the class due to both the time constraints and the instructor. Luckily, I am able to peruse Ingersoll Rand's online tools to find information and I have a tendency to train myself, as I have an intense interest in this field and I love to soak up whatever information I can find about it, whether online on IR media or elsewhere. Unfortunately your average technician does not have that quality and one needs to cater to the lowest common denominator sometimes. For a multi-billion-dollar international corporation with the reputation IR has, this seems almost unfathomable. As I have only attended one IR course, I can not vouch for the overall quality of training and this paragraph should probably be taken with a grain of salt although I have been told by several coworkers who attended the same course over the years that this same thing was a problem for them as well (including the instructor). Work/life balance can be hectic for the technician at times. We do on-call rotations where one tech is on call 24 hours a day for a week, and it rotates. Depending on how many techs are in your air center, you can be on call as much as once a month or as little as once every 8 weeks. On-call weeks are a double-edged sword. I have worked 18+ hours straight and it is not unheard of for techs to work 24 hours or more if they get a string of emergency calls, it is frighteningly common, stupid mistakes are made when you work like that and people get hurt, especially dealing with 480v machinery... if you call your management and tell them that you are too tired to work at 3 AM after getting off of one job and getting called for another emergency, they pitch a fit and get pissed off and try to talk you into dealing with it and sucking it up. Customers are no better about it. They don't seem to understand or care that we do not have a second or third shift. You have absolutely no idea when you will be home from day to day and that is also a double-edged sword. Some jobs will be a 2 to 3 hour drive one-way for you and while it is a necessary beast (and easy money, let's face it) it adds another dimension to your time management. You can not ever give anyone a concrete time that you will be available. You go home when you are finished with whatever tasks you are given by service coordinators. If that happens to be at 2 in the afternoon or 8 in the evening, it doesn't matter. You are fully expected to stay as late as you have to to finish your job, and then you throw however long it will take you to get home from wherever you are into account - again, this can be thirty minutes or three hours. You just never have any idea. Inconsistent standards for technicians - this company definitely lives by the old saying, "The reward for good work is more work." It is so hard to find candidates to work in this career field that are even the slightest bit capable of all of the tangible and intangible requirements of this job that even the terrible technicians are hardly at risk of being reprimanded or terminated for their poor performance. You spend a lot of time cleaning up other people's messes and re-diagnosing issues and re-ordering parts that other technicians screwed up and have a history of screwing up, which costs a lot of time and money especially when parts are often times ordered next-day air. A lot of technical data is hard or impossible to find, and a lot of your training for how to specifically work on each specific machine or component is trial-and-error - on the job, by yourself, which makes you look utterly incompetent in front of the customer who is paying God knows how much money for you to be there (and IR is supposed to be the best in the business). I hate feeling stupid and I hate not having access to information to do my job, but the fears of espionage and maintaining NDA agreements are more important it seems. A lot of IR's web sites and web interfaces (I'm looking at you, Passport) are archaic, poorly designed, and poorly optimized. A lot of this is the nature of working in a career field with no clear path for entry - there are no community colleges or associates degrees that I know of that specifically cater to 'compressed air maintenance.' This is the nature of the economy and isn't necessarily IR's fault, but I feel like there are steps that can be taken to mitigate the vast differences in skills, knowledge, and work practices that filter in to a company that naturally is required to take in mechanics of sometimes VASTLY different disciplines. Most techs just do things 'their' way instead of the IR way and that causes problems sometimes with inconsistent installations and repairs. Lots of older techs getting ready to retire soon, much like other skilled trades - not an adequate influx of technicians from the younger generations coming in to replace the older guys. This WILL be a problem at some point in the future for us, as it will be for the other blue collar fields. My last gripe is the fact that we are ONLY given ONE OPTION for health insurance in the form of a very high deductible HSA plan. While IR provides ways that will put a decent amount of money into your HSA account to cover expenses until you meet your deductible, it is only through the completion of arcane goals on an arcane website run by a third party. You might as well have NO insurance. They offered a standard PPO up until last year.

Advice to Management

Make standard work practice documents more readily available. Field techs, engineering, and the factory need to work together instead of against one another. Get rid of Passport. Go back to PPOs. Some kind of crash course needs to be devised that is two weeks in length or that has more intensive prerequisites and is more basic in it's approach. Perhaps an industrial maintenance/compressor maintenance apprenticeship course in partnership with a community college, that is a mixture of online courses and on-the-job training and qualifications in exchange for a contract to work for IR for a set amount of time is in order to help combat the oncoming flood of retirements and to make the job more enticing for younger folks. Other than that, I love working here. Keep it up!

6. Hours

Former Employee - Team Leader in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Clarksville, TN

Pros

Outstanding pay and excellent benefits.

Cons

Over time is crazy, often working 60+ hours a week

7. Operations Intern

Current Employee - Operations Intern in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Operations Intern in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposed to many areas of manufacturing

Cons

Hard to find one on one time with senior managment

8. Overall Good Company

Current Employee - Controller in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Controller in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with good performance. Benefits and Pay are above average.

Cons

At times work life balance

9. Work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mocksville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mocksville, NC

Pros

Good pay and benefits but too high pressure

Cons

Inconsistent local management who openly chided other employees.

10. Paralegal Specialist

Former Employee - Paralegal Specialist in Brockton, MA
    Former Employee - Paralegal Specialist in Brockton, MA

I worked at Ingersoll Rand (More than a year)

Pros

The best moments about working for Ingersoll Rand was knowing that you were allowed an opportunity to show your true talents.

Cons

The cons were not having strong business relationships internally to challenge long-term employees.

Advice to Management

Each person should have cross training on various areas of each others tasks. This cuts down on the excuse of "I don't know how to do that!"

11. Plenty Of Opportunities

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many options to move around, generally supportive of training and growth, decent benefits

Cons

Slow pace of change, can be difficult to move up if your not flagged as high potential

Advice to Management

Continued focus on employee development and work/life balance

RSS Feed </> Embed