Ingersoll-Rand

Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach
Michael W. Lamach

Pros
  • As a huge company the benefits are decent and there is a fair work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Middle Management Dysfunction in Memphis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

The company has wonderful benefits and opportunities. The VP's are focused on improving systems and really care about the company's future. The tone at the top is positive.

Cons

Middle management has free reign over their employees; Micromanaging, incompetent, and ineffective. It's the luck of the draw as to whether you are supervised by an effective and qualified one. Upper management is remote and has little interaction with employees. Complaints to HR are ignored.

Vet middle managers more effectively. Interact with subordinates and gauge their perspective on whether they are being utilized effectively. Supervise middle managers on qualifications and take warnings to HR more seriously when complaints are voiced.

I wasn't even given a chance

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative  in  Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Bridgeton, MO

Pros

Excellent pay, great atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful benefits.

Cons

I was hired on at a call center through a temp agency. The temp agency set up an interview for me with Trane (a subsidiary of Ingersoll-Rand) and I went in and it was an odd interview. I wasn't really told what the position even was and was really only asked about 7 behavioral questions before being sent on my way. I was later offered the job, took it, and was excited to begin work! I was told during training that I had been subjected to an "interview blitz" meaning that the job details were not given to us for a specific reason-what reason I don't know. I was told from the get go training would be difficult and take 6 weeks but I was ready. After the 6 weeks management would evaluate you and help you if you were not on the level you needed to be on. After your contract was up you would either be offered the job or terminated. Training was going well, I was doing excellent and grasping the material. I answered any question I was given correctly and quickly and did not require time to think about it. I did not enjoy the rapid fire questions but still I was doing well. I left work at 4 on Friday after my first week and got a call 10mins later from my temp agency stating I'd been terminated. For no reason. I asked why and the recruiter stated he received and email 30mins prior (so before I even left the building) that I was not keeping up in the classroom. The recruiter was very confused because he said this had only ever happened one time during his many experiences working with Trane and it had been a mistake. He said he would call on Monday to get more in depth feedback and to make sure it was not a mistake but told me not to go back in on Monday just in case. I was later called and told that Trane's management team would absolutely provide no more feedback and not give a solid reason for my termination. During training the group I was in was told that we were the biggest group ever to be trained and we were larger by 2 extra people. I'm assuming Trane hired too many of us and I was terminated to cut costs.

Don't waste time hiring more people than you need only to terminate them a week into the job. Also refrain from telling these people they're going to work their full 90 day contract but then terminate them anyway.

Great learning experience, but I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Working at Trane/ Ingersoll Rand was a great learning experience. I learned a lot during my time there, and I'm grateful for that. I had a wonderful relationship with just everyone that worked there. Most of the people were so good to work with.

Cons

The other 5% were not so good. Kind of ruined the experience for me dealing with some of the management as well as some of the hourly associates. That is what ultimately made me to decide to leave. I still miss a great deal of people there... But I'm glad I'm gone.

Look within your organization to promote. Truly appreciate your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fast paced, nice people, and good for people who are either just starting like I was, or mid-career level.

Former Employee - Receptionist/Bindery Clerk  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Bindery Clerk in Brea, CA

Pros

Everything was very organized, and the person who trained me was very friendly. This was only a temporary position for me, and I had a easy time learning the ins and outs of the company.

Cons

The warehouse was almost too big, with way too many employees for a receptions to keep track of in just a temporary position.

The training was great and I learned a lot from working at this company. I was in my very early twenties, and looking back, I learned quite a bit to get me ready for future employment.

Great opportunities.

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow. Good pay and benefits. Unlimited training for motivated employees.

Cons

High turnover rate in salaried employees due to work life balance issues and company culture to relocate for upward mobility. Business run on a month to month basis and in functional silos.

Align daily operations with long term strategic growth. Improve work life balance for performing employees.

Ingersoll Rand

Former Employee - Pension Analyst  in  Davidson, NC
    Former Employee - Pension Analyst in Davidson, NC

Pros

Great Benefits at low cost to employees

Cons

HR Services, Very poorly managed, limited advancement and ineffective processes. A lot of dead weight. Management not open to new processes or suggestions for improvement. That's the way we have always done it attitude.

Listen to your employees, look for their strengths and give them the tools and training they need to succeed.

Great place to work. Treats you well.

Pros

fair wage
    great co-workers
    good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair

Cons

limited opportunities to advance
    typical inter-department politics

maybe try some type of team building between departments
    keep up the good work

Great Company - Good place to work

Pros

Great place to work. People are great to work with most of the time.

Cons

Hard to get a raise, unless you leave the company

Invest more in your people.

Good Place to Work!

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great people - Great working conditions!

Cons

None - enjoyed my time at Ingersoll-Rand

Keep up the good work!

Human Resources

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Davidson, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

Pros

Free company coffee mugs and notepads. There are no other pros

Cons

Think again if you would like to work here!!!I am an employee at the Davidson location. If your looking for development and growth this is not the place for you. Management is clueless and spends 95% of their time in pointless meetings. If you enjoy nepotism, promotions of non qualified candidates, being underpaid this is the place for you. As far as pay if your not seeking upper management positions get the salary you want because you will be nickled and dimed thereafter.

Be competitive with salaries that are not in upper management. Customers are important but so are the employees. Understanding that you can't make every employee happy but if a large majority of your employees are not being developed, paid below the salary range, and unhappy Ingersoll rand will always lose great employees to companies that are thriving and willing to pay them what they are worth.

Worked for Ingersoll-Rand? Contribute to the Community!