Ingersoll Rand

Employer Engaged

Product Development churn

Former Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to see work that ends up in finished product. Company compensation was fair for industry.

Cons

Endless cycles of product development. Lots of globalized vendors, heavy night hours were frequent.

Great opportunities for growth!!

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth throughout the company. The company cares a great deal about their employees and long term growth and retention. Health conscience culture.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment. IT organization could use improvement, as tools offered to do business are not best in class.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They treat their employees very well and will work with you if you need to relocate. They try to hold on to their employees. They have engagement surveys and employee appreciation days. Also, the benefits are great. You get a health savings account that they put money into if you perform certain tasks, The 401k plan is also really great and competitive.

Cons

They do not reprimand people who don't work as hard as others. One person in my department is constantly under where he/she should be, but nothing happens. She literally does less than half the work of most people on the team. I'd like to see them crack down more on people who aren't pulling their weight.

Have the metrics off your employees directly effect their salary. I have a feeling we all get pretty much around the same percentage for the annual raise. People who under-perform should not get raises. People who over preform and keep their numbers up should get a higher raise. You're sending a message where people think it's okay to slack off and let everyone else do the work because they don't have any consequences. The people who work hard realize this and feel they can't do anything about it because it will sound like complaining. It's a slippery slope, but nothing is done about it because our "team" metrics look good.

Middle Management Dysfunction in Memphis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has wonderful benefits and opportunities. The VP's are focused on improving systems and really care about the company's future. The tone at the top is positive.

Cons

Middle management has free reign over their employees; Micromanaging, incompetent, and ineffective. It's the luck of the draw as to whether you are supervised by an effective and qualified one. Upper management is remote and has little interaction with employees. Complaints to HR are ignored.

Vet middle managers more effectively. Interact with subordinates and gauge their perspective on whether they are being utilized effectively. Supervise middle managers on qualifications and take warnings to HR more seriously when complaints are voiced.

Value-oriented company adverse to risk

Current Employee - Program Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, health oriented, invested in its people, progressive

Cons

Not welcoming to outside points of view and resistant to challenges that could make it a better company. Risk-averse.

Look to leverage the strengths of your internal workforce, especially newcomers who come with fresh ideas and perspectives. You spend millions of dollars on consultants when you have the capabilities in-house that you can leverage and achieve better results.

OK place to gain experience, but no career path whatsoever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, leader in the industry. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Training is awful; people are training you who haven't done the job themselves in years. Company doesn't value lower level employees, even middle-level management is not respected. The top of IR runs everything, albeit not very effectively - rate of retention should be given more attention. There is no guidance given for how you can work your way up - no clear guidelines for what you have to do to get a promotion, raises are ambiguous, performance reviews are arbitrary. Work-life balance is fine, but good luck ever moving up in this company. It's all about the cronies at the top and who they're connected with.

Value the employee contribution from ALL LEVELS of the company. Better tactics for promoting from within besides who knows who.

Great learning experience, but I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Trane/ Ingersoll Rand was a great learning experience. I learned a lot during my time there, and I'm grateful for that. I had a wonderful relationship with just everyone that worked there. Most of the people were so good to work with.

Cons

The other 5% were not so good. Kind of ruined the experience for me dealing with some of the management as well as some of the hourly associates. That is what ultimately made me to decide to leave. I still miss a great deal of people there... But I'm glad I'm gone.

Look within your organization to promote. Truly appreciate your employees.

A good place to call home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

I have been working at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ethics and Values are not just words, the great majority of people seem to be living by them. Pay and benefits are good. There is an effort to give employees a chance to succeed. Many locations to choose from and a variety of work options.

Cons

Work life balance is not understood. To excel, you rarely can actually leave work behind for a day or week (or even night). There is this extreme focus on headcount versus achieving goals.

Keep listening to the "what's right" angel on your shoulder. She/He is doing a good job of keeping you on the right path. Be open to breaking down "the way we have always done it". Take some risks to be a different kind of company. We have the horsepower to make it happen.

Great restructuring experience

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, great leaders, good tools, opportunities for career advancement

Cons

Turnover in management made it difficult to build long-term relationships and manage my own career. Ingersoll Rand Europe VERY different from IR US

Some European Executives need to understand the American concept of managing teams. A lot of micromanagement over there

I wasn't even given a chance

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Ingersoll Rand full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, great atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful benefits.

Cons

I was hired on at a call center through a temp agency. The temp agency set up an interview for me with Trane (a subsidiary of Ingersoll-Rand) and I went in and it was an odd interview. I wasn't really told what the position even was and was really only asked about 7 behavioral questions before being sent on my way. I was later offered the job, took it, and was excited to begin work! I was told during training that I had been subjected to an "interview blitz" meaning that the job details were not given to us for a specific reason-what reason I don't know. I was told from the get go training would be difficult and take 6 weeks but I was ready. After the 6 weeks management would evaluate you and help you if you were not on the level you needed to be on. After your contract was up you would either be offered the job or terminated. Training was going well, I was doing excellent and grasping the material. I answered any question I was given correctly and quickly and did not require time to think about it. I did not enjoy the rapid fire questions but still I was doing well. I left work at 4 on Friday after my first week and got a call 10mins later from my temp agency stating I'd been terminated. For no reason. I asked why and the recruiter stated he received and email 30mins prior (so before I even left the building) that I was not keeping up in the classroom. The recruiter was very confused because he said this had only ever happened one time during his many experiences working with Trane and it had been a mistake. He said he would call on Monday to get more in depth feedback and to make sure it was not a mistake but told me not to go back in on Monday just in case. I was later called and told that Trane's management team would absolutely provide no more feedback and not give a solid reason for my termination. During training the group I was in was told that we were the biggest group ever to be trained and we were larger by 2 extra people. I'm assuming Trane hired too many of us and I was terminated to cut costs.

Don't waste time hiring more people than you need only to terminate them a week into the job. Also refrain from telling these people they're going to work their full 90 day contract but then terminate them anyway.

Ingersoll Rand Photos