Ingeus

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.8

CEO

Rewarding! A job that makes a difference

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus

Pros

Worked here for over 3yrs, but been in welfare to work roles for almost 10 and never have a known a company like Ingeus that makes such a difference to clients life and shows them so much respect, I have heard from a few advisors that they believe the company has nmore respect for client than it does employees, i dont believe that to be true but even if it was SO what! The role is all about the clients and knowing that you have supporting a client that has been 10, 15 or even 33yrs unemployed (which was a client of mine) and feels their barriers or health condition prohibits them to a normal working life and you help them believe in themself again! Well thats a job i know many people who volunteer to do never mind getting paid £25k + for. The targets are high but manageable, I have been on PSP twice previous (warnings for not hitting target) but was supported completed by my manager and HR to ensure I got back on track and since I have had 2 pay rises for been Gold advisor. If you can put in the work and effort then you are rewarded well, and all clients wouldn't deserve anything less than you putting in your best, It is human beings we are helping every day! - On another note I do not and cant imagine any Ingeus office expecting people to work 60hr week, we work 32.5 and if we feel that we cant manage it within that time then we are giving training in diary management etc and in my office we are even allowed to work overtime to assure we keep the work-life balance.

Cons

to many meetings about meetings. I like it best when I am just working with my clients rather than looking at reports weekly.

Feels like a Modern day Victorian Factory/Victorian School:demoralising

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employment Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, benefits package, job satisfaction through helping clients

Cons

Ingeus is hugely and mainly profit driven, as the largest work programme provider and the highest payer of wages in the welfare to work industry Ingeus has a lot of money to recoup- in London it is underperforming on its dwp contract and is slipping behind competitors on performance and so it is now *hugely* pressurised. This pressure filters down to advisers who are asked to book in 14 clients per day (of whom are society's most unwell esa clients), given massive admin and most of all massive and unrealistic performance targets to meet. Result is a stressed, overworked, sick advisers who are often feel they are driven to see performance points and not human beings sat in front of the just so we can sustain in our own jobs and feed our kids and pay the mortgage! management often use negative forms of communication constantly like scare tactics and drill sergeant ways of 'driving performance'. Ingeus used to be a wonderful place to work deserving of its times top 100 status, it has lost it's way and all peers and advisers I know are job searching frantically to simply just get out. Ingeus needs to rewind and become the good workplace it once was.

Please treat staff with the decency with which you expect us to show clients rather than just as a cog in a job start machine. Staff are skilled, educated and experienced often and deserve to be treated as adult professionals. Morale is so very low in London, you have so much experience that is being driven put but the stick approach. Allow Advisors to just get on with the job of advising and not become administrators/compliance staff/massively
    targeted recruitment consultants. Staff health and well being levels are lower than they need to be.

Highly satisfying and rewarding career choice.

Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, interesting clients and whilst it is target driven, it's also extremely rewarding and a fantastic job to have on your cv.

Cons

High targets can be a challenge,you're working with people who may not be ready to move into work but to ensure you meet your target you must push them.

Exciting

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job satisfaction, good bonus if successful,

Cons

Difficult clients, high targets, long hours, stress

Pressured with lack of support

Former Employee - Employer Partnership Coordinator
    Former Employee - Employer Partnership Coordinator

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is very good, almost too good (some feel trapped by it).

Rarely required to work outside of office hours (9am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday).

Generally there is a positive atmosphere, but this varies from office-to-office and is very dependent on the managers.

Work can be rewarding, especially when helping people who have genuinely struggled finding lasting employment to get back into work. Colleagues are generally very nice and welcoming.

Company is growing rapidly so there are opportunities to progress too.

Cons

The targets set by HQ are seriously high and the pressure is enormous. Ingeus pride themselves on helping people find sustainable employment (i.e work that lasts at least 6 months), but if you miss your target by a little you can be out the door. Also, the probationary period is conveniently 6 months so nothing out of the ordinary shows to outsiders. The nature of long-term unemployment and welfare-to-work is challenging enough without the constant pressure to hit numbers based on financial income at corporate level.

Targets are also reliant on long-term unemployed staying in their new roles long enough (you get measured on sustainability - i.e. if you client gets a job, they must stay there for 6 months otherwise you'll miss your sustainability target). This is to avoid putting people into temporary vacancies, but it also means you are dealing with people who have "worked the system" for years to avoid working, and even if they are placed into sustainable jobs (i.e. permanent) and they mess up, it's your fault.

There also seems to be a culture of rewarding people who cut corners to perform well, which management and HR appear to turn a blind eye too. I personally saw a number of colleagues bending the rules to achieve their targets and a number of them have since been promoted to highly paid roles. Whistle-blowing is risky because you feel like an outcast in an instant. It seems that as long as the company is seen to be performing, then it's okay to cut corners here and there to maximise performance, even if it is to the detriment of other areas.

Promotions are also linked to performance, which is important but also crazy as it means some people constantly get overlooked for a role they would be perfect for because they didn't hit their target that quarter. Hitting targets doesn't automatically make you a good manager - you need more skills and qualities than that, but it is not the case here.

Take your head out of the sand and do the right thing once in a while. You only need to scratch the surface to see people bending the rules in order to achieve or exceed their targets, yet there are rewards in place for doing just that. The impact on staff morale about rewarding people in this manner is significantly negative, and letting people cheat the system (and in some cases, the company out of money in terms of remuneration) is poor and should lead to disciplinary measures rather than rewards!

Also consider promoting staff based on their experience, skills and qualities and not just performance alone. The roles of Advisor and Performance Delivery Manager are very different, and whilst helping somebody into work uses some transferrable skills that would be useful in a management role, it is not the be-all and end-all. You will continue to lose key staff if you continue doing this.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Somehow good pay. Wonderful team to work with

Cons

Bad experience. No clear vision.

there are things more important than profit

NO MANAGEMENT

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tabuk (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tabuk (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

to help the needed Person.

Cons

Managers not managers (Science Directors inadequate only interested in profit)

expulsion the old Directors

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Pay: This is about the only con to consider working there. They think it's higher than job market when it's merely 'competitive'

Cons

No benefits
    No screening
    Questionable Management
    No overtime or compensation of any sort

Revise internal policy.
    Conduct screening for employees before onboarding
    Hire experienced LEADERS

Do not work here-incredibly stressful and a lack of progression

Current Employee - Employment Consultant in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Employment Consultant in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits for the industry

Cons

Highly and unrealistically targeted; largely unsupportive management. Advisers largely burning out with high levels of stress-big turnover in London particularly with next to none of my former colleagues claiming to be happy in their roles- the salary trap sustains you for a while but I have taken a salary drop and my health and well being has skyrocketed.

Notice and care enough to Support the well being and developmental needs of staff.A very flat management structure with no clearly defined career paths and next to no in house training other than a lengthy induction. I would not advise you to work here in its present state- declining performance in comparison to competitors is indicative of staff satisfaction and therefore productivity

Keep away!

Former Employee - Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None! We had to meet targets that are imposible. Stay away from Ingeus if you are unemployed as they will put you down to a level that you could fail to recover from!

Cons

We had to send professional people to temporary jobs. We made false promises and often told lies to meet our targets!

Stop remolding clients. Be honest with yourselves. Honour the clients as they are not puppets!