Ingeus

Updated February 23, 2015
2.7

CEO

Ok

I have been working at Ingeus (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ambitious company with big future goals.
    Good people work here, made a lot of good friends.
    Great feeling when you help someone change their life around and finally get them a job.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations on advisors at times, expected to get 7 people per month in to work when majority of the clients are on sickness benefit nowadays - not job seekers allowance.
    Management trained to coach therefore not always good with straight answers and solutions.

Provide solutions and listen to your staff

Targets and pressure - Don't work for this company

Current Employee - Employment Advisor
    Current Employee - Employment Advisor

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team spirit
    Above market rate wages
    Job satisfaction when you get some-one into work

Cons

Have worked as Employment Advisor for 3 years. Ingeus offer a good salary if you consistently over perform. That above average salary is the problem, you adjust your lifestyle accordingly and are then trapped. The morale of advisors is so low. We are expected to see a minimum of 9 face to face clients a day. This involves booking at least 12 appts. The ridiculous admin associated with this consumes so much time. All the while you are expected to hit unrealistic targets. Your caseload of clients are made up of at least 40% of people who are really quite poorly and therefore stand little or no chance of going into work. You are targeted on job starts and also KPIs.If you dont hit KPIs your target is pulled down a mark. If you under perform over 2 quarters you are sacked.
    This job has a shelf life, you end up resenting your clients and having a jaundiced view of the unemployed. I joined because I wanted to help society, sadly don't feel that way anymore. I will jump for joy when I get a new job and will take much delight in telling my immediate manager that I'm leaving. Mangers are so pushy and have a heavy sales bias, seems they are fixated on job starts at the expense of clients and the poor advisors, DONT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

Try being an Advisor for at least a week

Only good for the experience and probably not a long-term career path for most

Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Salary and you are reminded of this any time you dare complain about the company and its targets
    Good Experience - trust me if you can get through probation here then you will believe you can conquer just about anything!

Cons

Inevitably the stress will impact your physical and mental health
    Poor work/life balance, toll on personal relationships
    Unrealistic targets
    Strict disciplinary procedures for not meeting targets - verbal, written warning then dismissal
    Massive staff turnaround which is detrimental to existing colleagues

Get real!

Bad Experience

Former Employee - Sales Role In Any Other Name in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Role In Any Other Name in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary ok training good salary

Cons

Everything else , 60 hr weeks , constant pressure, masive targets incease every year bad senior management , get rid of the person , not look ant or fix the problems , 50% staff turn over Training is for companies benefit to meet their contract needs

Be more focussed on why no one meets the targets and put in place realistic goals/targets

Rewarding! A job that makes a difference

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus

Pros

Worked here for over 3yrs, but been in welfare to work roles for almost 10 and never have a known a company like Ingeus that makes such a difference to clients life and shows them so much respect, I have heard from a few advisors that they believe the company has nmore respect for client than it does employees, i dont believe that to be true but even if it was SO what! The role is all about the clients and knowing that you have supporting a client that has been 10, 15 or even 33yrs unemployed (which was a client of mine) and feels their barriers or health condition prohibits them to a normal working life and you help them believe in themself again! Well thats a job i know many people who volunteer to do never mind getting paid £25k + for. The targets are high but manageable, I have been on PSP twice previous (warnings for not hitting target) but was supported completed by my manager and HR to ensure I got back on track and since I have had 2 pay rises for been Gold advisor. If you can put in the work and effort then you are rewarded well, and all clients wouldn't deserve anything less than you putting in your best, It is human beings we are helping every day! - On another note I do not and cant imagine any Ingeus office expecting people to work 60hr week, we work 32.5 and if we feel that we cant manage it within that time then we are giving training in diary management etc and in my office we are even allowed to work overtime to assure we keep the work-life balance.

Cons

to many meetings about meetings. I like it best when I am just working with my clients rather than looking at reports weekly.

Stressful and depressing, everyday!

Former Employee - Employment Adviser in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Employment Adviser in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pay- but in no way worth the stress and I'll health it costs to earn

Cons

unrealistically targeted, some bullying managers, stressful with unmanageable workload, aggressive and dictatorial management styles used by some managers. The result is stressed and jaded staff who are leaving in droves. I've never seen such a demotivated workforce in london- exhausted advisers seeing society's most vulnerable and ill people and pressurising them into work through a desperation to meet targets. And yes it does matter that clients are treated better than staff- an ethical employer would do both and of course why burn out the people delivering a service on the front line- both ethically and economically as constant recruitment of people who very quickly free themselves or are forced out makes no business sense!

if you stand for sustainability and health and well being, it starts at home. you must look at the turnover and wellbeing of your staff who are delivering to the clients you want them to move into work. there is a culture as a result of minimum giving by staff- not deliberately over exceeding through employer resent often. Live the message you want the world to see you as. Your falling times top 100 place tells you all you need to know- change before its too late.

Highly satisfying and rewarding career choice.

Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Employment Advisor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, interesting clients and whilst it is target driven, it's also extremely rewarding and a fantastic job to have on your cv.

Cons

High targets can be a challenge,you're working with people who may not be ready to move into work but to ensure you meet your target you must push them.

Feels like a Modern day Victorian Factory/Victorian School:demoralising

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employment Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good colleagues, benefits package, job satisfaction through helping clients

Cons

Ingeus is hugely and mainly profit driven, as the largest work programme provider and the highest payer of wages in the welfare to work industry Ingeus has a lot of money to recoup- in London it is underperforming on its dwp contract and is slipping behind competitors on performance and so it is now *hugely* pressurised. This pressure filters down to advisers who are asked to book in 14 clients per day (of whom are society's most unwell esa clients), given massive admin and most of all massive and unrealistic performance targets to meet. Result is a stressed, overworked, sick advisers who are often feel they are driven to see performance points and not human beings sat in front of the just so we can sustain in our own jobs and feed our kids and pay the mortgage! management often use negative forms of communication constantly like scare tactics and drill sergeant ways of 'driving performance'. Ingeus used to be a wonderful place to work deserving of its times top 100 status, it has lost it's way and all peers and advisers I know are job searching frantically to simply just get out. Ingeus needs to rewind and become the good workplace it once was.

Please treat staff with the decency with which you expect us to show clients rather than just as a cog in a job start machine. Staff are skilled, educated and experienced often and deserve to be treated as adult professionals. Morale is so very low in London, you have so much experience that is being driven put but the stick approach. Allow Advisors to just get on with the job of advising and not become administrators/compliance staff/massively
    targeted recruitment consultants. Staff health and well being levels are lower than they need to be.

Exciting

Current Employee - Employment Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Ingeus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job satisfaction, good bonus if successful,

Cons

Difficult clients, high targets, long hours, stress

Pressured with lack of support

Former Employee - Employer Partnership Coordinator
    Former Employee - Employer Partnership Coordinator

I worked at Ingeus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is very good, almost too good (some feel trapped by it).

Rarely required to work outside of office hours (9am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday).

Generally there is a positive atmosphere, but this varies from office-to-office and is very dependent on the managers.

Work can be rewarding, especially when helping people who have genuinely struggled finding lasting employment to get back into work. Colleagues are generally very nice and welcoming.

Company is growing rapidly so there are opportunities to progress too.

Cons

The targets set by HQ are seriously high and the pressure is enormous. Ingeus pride themselves on helping people find sustainable employment (i.e work that lasts at least 6 months), but if you miss your target by a little you can be out the door. Also, the probationary period is conveniently 6 months so nothing out of the ordinary shows to outsiders. The nature of long-term unemployment and welfare-to-work is challenging enough without the constant pressure to hit numbers based on financial income at corporate level.

Targets are also reliant on long-term unemployed staying in their new roles long enough (you get measured on sustainability - i.e. if you client gets a job, they must stay there for 6 months otherwise you'll miss your sustainability target). This is to avoid putting people into temporary vacancies, but it also means you are dealing with people who have "worked the system" for years to avoid working, and even if they are placed into sustainable jobs (i.e. permanent) and they mess up, it's your fault.

There also seems to be a culture of rewarding people who cut corners to perform well, which management and HR appear to turn a blind eye too. I personally saw a number of colleagues bending the rules to achieve their targets and a number of them have since been promoted to highly paid roles. Whistle-blowing is risky because you feel like an outcast in an instant. It seems that as long as the company is seen to be performing, then it's okay to cut corners here and there to maximise performance, even if it is to the detriment of other areas.

Promotions are also linked to performance, which is important but also crazy as it means some people constantly get overlooked for a role they would be perfect for because they didn't hit their target that quarter. Hitting targets doesn't automatically make you a good manager - you need more skills and qualities than that, but it is not the case here.

Take your head out of the sand and do the right thing once in a while. You only need to scratch the surface to see people bending the rules in order to achieve or exceed their targets, yet there are rewards in place for doing just that. The impact on staff morale about rewarding people in this manner is significantly negative, and letting people cheat the system (and in some cases, the company out of money in terms of remuneration) is poor and should lead to disciplinary measures rather than rewards!

Also consider promoting staff based on their experience, skills and qualities and not just performance alone. The roles of Advisor and Performance Delivery Manager are very different, and whilst helping somebody into work uses some transferrable skills that would be useful in a management role, it is not the be-all and end-all. You will continue to lose key staff if you continue doing this.