Ingles Markets

Updated June 23, 2014
2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours (in 6 reviews)

• It's a good place for a high school student who is only looking to work a few days a week (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

• Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad company to work for

Former Employee - Service Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

All co workers are friendly, interacting with customers

Cons

Not many hours when i worked, bad pay

Give employees room for advancement

Poor Management

Current Employee - Bakery Associate  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

With an Ingles ever few miles it is not hard to find one within walking distance from your home and most of my co-worker were nice people.

Cons

My department manager never has the items we need to do our jobs on hand, then when we can not complete the jobs will curse us. Manager also claims cleaning is a waste of time.

If you know a department is failing due poor management don't just keep bring in new people that run off in a few weeks due to being yelled at, blamed for things they have no power over, and being called names, get a new department manager.

Terrible upper-management.

Former Employee - Cashier/Deli Associate  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Deli Associate in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing about working here was the friendships made with direct coworkers.

Cons

Poor pay for the work required
    Looked down on and treated terribly by upper management
    Upper management was disorganized and hardly ever on the same page as other upper management
    Customers are sometimes just plain silly (as with all customer service jobs)
    High turnover rate of employees
    Don't usually promote from within
    Good work is not noted

Get organized and treat your employees better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst experience ever.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours and pay because I needed something part-time

Cons

The management is horrible. The store manager at the store I was at would cuss out employees if she was having a bad day to the point of threatening to fire to pregnant employees if they missed anymore work because of their conditions. Our department breathed sighs of relief on that store manager's days off.

Learn to treat your employees like their human beings. We're not your personal slaves for you to take your bad day out on. We have families and children that get sick, pass away or family emergencies come up that we have no control over. Don't tell us that you're going to fire us if one more thing happens. Don't threaten our jobs when we have to miss work because we have to admit our kid into the hospital!! Use some common sense! Sensitivity train would do management some good.

Poor management thus creating poor service

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is easy to get a job here. All you have to do is just walk in and perform a background check. If you pass, the job is yours.

One manager was really a nice guy.

Cons

Poor customer service and uneducated management. The management does not require respect from their employees so service is sacrificed. Employee training is awful.

Well, It's A Job.

Current Employee - Deli Associate  in  Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Associate in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

The main pro for me, is the wonderful co-workers I am blessed to work with. I have made some great friendships, here, and the way we work together, is nothing like anyplace else I've worked. Each seems to know what the other is thinking, able to take over a task without needing direction, a once-in-a-lifetime chemistry.

Cons

Low pay and only 30 hours a week. Only 8.50 an hour to start? Regularly understaffed (due largely to the hour limit) which accounts for a good amount of lost sales, since customers only have so much patience before moving on. Management from store level on up through corporate is among the worst I've ever experienced. The store manager has no personality, at all; she will bark at people for no reason, whatsoever (she's even told employees that laughing on the job is against the rules). Corporate has no clue, whatsoever, as to how to run the business. A classic example is a memo issued by the corporate department head in our department, that stated in the event of a power outage, water has to be boiled on the stove, to wash dishes....only problem, the stoves are electric. They are continually slicing hours, yet adding work, and then complaining when we're not done by the desired time. A highly dysfunctional company.

Get rid of the 30 hours a week garbage, let your people work full-time and quit treating them with a plantation mentality. You'll be surprised at how much better they'll work and how much sales will rise.

Great part-time job for students.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly co-workers and management.
    Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Customers could be mean, but generally no complaints. Probably different from store to store.

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!