Ingles Markets

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II

Robert P. Ingle II

Pros:
  • "Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Overall enjoyed my time spent working there"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "No opportunities to becoming full time unless you are management and stores are cutting employees hours because of the Affordable Care Act"
    in 9 reviews
  • "low pay, no raises and everyone is part time so they do not have to give you any benefits"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worked full-time night shift stocking while store was closed, negative work environment.

Stock Clerk (Current Employee)
    Belton, SC

ProsHaving a full-time job during the economic downturn, close to home (able to walk to work)

ConsNight shift is tough on the body, management was not encouraging and mostly functioned by making people fear for their jobs, almost all co-workers were racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall cameras with microphones or don't have night shift workers when store is closed. Would cut down immediately on theft and create a more positive, accountable work environment.

It's a friendly place to work.

Starbucks Barista (Current Employee)
    Brevard, NC

ProsThey care about employees, you get decent hours, generally all the customers and co-workers are friendly, and customer service is helpful.

ConsA lot of high schoolers and the schedule is posted one day before the upcoming week, which makes scheduling difficult. At Starbucks, some customers get frustrated.

Great learning experience

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed the people I worked with. I was able to be promoted fairly quickly at a young age which gave me great experience.

ConsThe hours I worked while being a student were hard, I worked full-time hours with part time benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the managers want to be more like friends to the young employees than supervisors, this is never a good thing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible schedule

Seafood Clerk/Barista (Former Employee)
    Hull, GA

ProsWilling to work with you on a flexible schedule

ConsNever have a weekend off, the benefits, the pay

Good for high school but needed to move on

Cashier/Bookkeeper (Former Employee)
    Lenoir City, TN

ProsGreat co-workers, and opportunity for advancement when it arises... If you show initiative. 20% of the customers have been coming there their entire lives are a very sweet.

ConsUnderpaid as a bookkeeper. They hire too many people and cut hours without notice. 50% of the customers are the scum that lives next to the building have no respect for themselves or others and can become unbearable "serving" them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm surprised I even got a job here, they really only hire people they know... and they can be cliquey. Otherwise, they are understanding people who do care about the store and are genuinely nice.

Out standing company

Lead Deli Associate (Current Employee)
    Hendersonville, NC

ProsIngles cares about its employeess and they show it through their actions. Training is state of the art and there are chances for everyone. I have been in management for over 20 years and this is the very best company I have ever worked for.

ConsI have, so far, found none/

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a bad company to work for

Service Clerk (Former Employee)
    Asheville, NC

ProsAll co workers are friendly, interacting with customers

ConsNot many hours when i worked, bad pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees room for advancement

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Store, Out of Touch Corporation

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsI worked as a Bakery Clerk for Ingles Market for three years from February 2011 to February 2014. I enjoyed worked for the store and the Bakery Department in the following ways:

Enjoyed working with my co-workers and the Bakery Manager cared about the employees and the Bakery Associates worked together as a team to get the job done.

The store management was in touch with the employees and assisted the employees anyway they could help out.

Enjoyed working with the customers who shopped at Ingles Market and interacting with them on a regular basis.

ConsWhen it comes to the disadvantages of working for Ingles Market;

The pay is very low and the corporation holds off on giving you a raise as long as they can. Pay raises only occur once every year and a half and its only by $.25 cents an hour. In the three years I worked there, my pay only increased by $.75. Also, the company does not pay their part time employees time and a half during the holidays.

Part time employees give little or no recognition from the corporate office. I believe the part time employees are the backbone to the company because without us, the company could not function.

Part time employees get no benefits or rewards. This includes no medical insurance, no vacation time, no extra pay for the holidays and no sick days.

No opportunities to becoming full time unless you are management and stores are cutting employees hours because of the Affordable Care Act.

There are no opportunities for advancement at Ingles unless you suck up to someone. The Ingles Career Opportunities Program which is better known as ICOP is a Joke. You have associates call an automatic phone number so we can tell an automatic phone system what you’re interested in even though you never hear back from any of the store about career opportunities and there are no opportunities of becoming a full time employee no matter how hard you work.

Some employees are required to work during their meal break, even though you don’t get paid for your work.

There is no break area for employees only. You have to take your breaks in the Corner Café where you have to share an area with both employees and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHere is my advice to corporate office;

You need to have a better advancement program for employees who want to advance. After all, you have many talented associates who want to take on more responsible roles but your current system is outdated.

During the holidays, the store should close down early on Thanksgiving Day and Independence Day. I understand customers need last minute items but you stay open all day to an empty store of customers and employees want to spend time with family, not spend time working when corporate employees get these days off. Also, you should close down on Easter so that associates can spend time with the family and friends.

Corporation needs to be more involved with the employees of the store since the corporation is out of touch with what goes on at the stores. You like to tell employees what to do and you expect us to do it with no questions asked. I suggest that you send corporate employees to work at store and in departments for the day so that you can realize what duties we have to perform because we are the backbone to the company because without us, the company would not be successful.

All employees should be allowed to purchase company stock. After all, we contribute to the sales of the company and while other chain grocery retailers let their employees purchase stock, only a select handful of corporate employees and purchase stock.

Decent Management, poor building quality

Cashier, Service Clerk, Stock Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsIt was very easy to get a job here and as long as you are reasonably respectful, you can hold your position for years. You get to meet local people and, with time, become part of their lives.

ConsSince the company hires more people than it actually needs, the hours are very limited. The work tends to be very repetitive and employees rarely see growth and mental stimulation. There is little chance for advancing in the company and the pay tends to be as close to minimum wage as possible for every position. It takes most cashiers almost two years to get a measly quarter raise, that is if they stay that long.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a chance to learn and work in multiple areas of the store. If the person is a great employee then an annual raise should be in order. Also, management should be active and friendly in the workplace.

Hey, it's retail.

Stocker (Current Employee)

ProsWith health insurance not factored in, it does have competitive entry level retail full time benefits.

ConsHaving said the previous, I have noticed a steep decline in upper managements care for associate morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that it is your hourly workers who maintain customer outlook. These are positions filled with people who deserve more than a yearly $.25/hr raise and a taxed store gift card at Christmas. I am not suggesting major displays of affection. Simple gestures, an example would be, I worked for a different company who's manager would once a quarter come in and grill hamburgers, hot dogs, etc for all employees. Also, an orientation and training period for all new employees would be beneficial. Having started with this company as a cashier, I have noticed that even front service clerks need training.

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ingles Markets reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by Ingles Markets employees.