Ingles Markets

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II

Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours(in 6 reviews)

• Interaction with customers is a plus(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends(in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker(in 10 reviews)

Worst experience ever.

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsHours and pay because I needed something part-time

ConsThe management is horrible. The store manager at the store I was at would cuss out employees if she was having a bad day to the point of threatening to fire to pregnant employees if they missed anymore work because of their conditions. Our department breathed sighs of relief on that store manager's days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your employees like their human beings. We're not your personal slaves for you to take your bad day out on. We have families and children that get sick, pass away or family emergencies come up that we have no control over. Don't tell us that you're going to fire us if one more thing happens. Don't threaten our jobs when we have to miss work because we have to admit our kid into the hospital!! Use some common sense! Sensitivity train would do management some good.

Deli Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere, the work isn't too hard, pay is ok for retail

ConsNo training. None. Food safety, workplace safety, procedures: management is totally negligent about training.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut standards and practices in place. Set up pro-rated benefits for part-timers. A paid week off after a year of work is a good thing for everybody. Communicate with your hourly workers.

Crappy and demeaning.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaychecks don't bounce. Can't think of anything else.

ConsWill fire you or lay you off for no reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let real human beings take over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management turns a blind eye to bad supervisors.

NONE (Former Employee) Black Mountain, NC

ProsClose to my home. It was real easy to quit!

ConsSupervisors lack the basic ability to supervise their staff and have no accountability for a job badly done. People are advanced at the corporate office for longevity instead of merit. Never met a nastier bunch of unhappy co-workers. Just a paycheck. No merit awards except numbers of years these people have hung onto their jobs. Benefits are nil. No sick time for office employees. One women having chemotherapy had to use her vacation days if she was to be out a couple days. That's just shameful! Vacation policy is archaic. Raises are .25/hour max.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of your VP's and managers are insiders. The only job they have ever held is at Ingles. Lifers are complacent. They're just filling chairs until retirement. Bring in some outside blood to advance your company. Stand up and be decent to your employees! Demote bad supervisors! SELL to Publics!

Ingles is a great place with a family like atmosphere.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe industry that you choose to work with must be stable, and groceries are definitely a staple for our society.

ConsI am personally on the stock crew, which makes for a non existent life, not to mention some very odd hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have heard you are told not to care about your employees personal life. I also heard a manager once tell someone that they did not care, nor was it their problem that the hours on the stock crew gave this person a problem getting things done during the day. Please remember although each person as an employee is replaceable, we are also human and do have needs, caring is what makes the world a better place.

Not enough experience to tell yet

ProsWork with very good people

ConsLow pay and will not hire full time workers

Advice to Senior ManagementSay thank you for work well done

Horrible treatment of long-time and loyal employees.

Meat Wrapper (Former Employee) Spruce Pine, NC

ProsIt was good to work near home, but that was the only good thing about working for this corrupt company.

ConsThe management has no idea what they are doing and play favorites. Constant back-stabbing between coworkers, changing of schedules, inappropriate behavior between managers and employees, and immoral food safety practices. There is no opportunity given to advance through the company unless you suck up to the right person. No employee discount, even on a simple lunch tray. They do not live up to the image they project, nor provide proper documentation of company policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about requiring any management personnel to hold a degree in some aspect of management? Or stopping the unfair treatment of employees by other management.

Ingles I-Market trust out the door

I-Market Clerk (Former Employee) Hiawassee, GA

ProsFor the most part, working there was relatively easy, easily handling most customer requests and questions. I also enjoyed working with some of the other employees. Some extremely helpful. Most of the POS systems were easy to learn and pick up.

ConsThe first big mistake you make and you're out the door! It had been a hot day, I'd done quite a bit of work with the AC being out. Tired, hot, exhausted.... Picked up a cord that I'd moved earlier that after the fact I knew wasn't mine and packed it into my car. Hadn't even left when the owner of the cord wanted it back. Said cord was returned and an apology and partial excuse was given but certainly after the fact not accepted. Was let go the next morning due to 'trust issues'. Mistakes made on my part, mistakes made on my part and on my immediate supervisor's part as well. A verbal reprimand or pay cut would have worked better than just getting fired for an honest mistake. A mistake that could have been avoided if I had not been hot and tired or if the owner of the cord had not left it behind. The time clock issue took some time to resolve as well, more than several days to get my timeclock number to work properly, and never did get a clerk ID number to run the POS terminals under my own name. LAME and LAZY.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a little bit more lee-way on a first mistake, and strive to allow for growth and improvement, not just firing them outright.

Poor management thus creating poor service

Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsIt is easy to get a job here. All you have to do is just walk in and perform a background check. If you pass, the job is yours.

One manager was really a nice guy.

ConsPoor customer service and uneducated management. The management does not require respect from their employees so service is sacrificed. Employee training is awful.

Good ole boy practice

Frozen Food Manager (Current Employee)

ProsInteraction with both employees and regular customers. busy environment makes the day go by faster.

ConsThere is no such thing as a job well done only a job done wrong

Advice to Senior ManagementSay thank you to employees more often

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!