Ingles Markets

Updated October 14, 2014
2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

• Good introduction to customer service and great coworkers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice, but pay is so-so

Current Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

You don't receive as many day as you would like and the pay isn't great, you get a 25 cent raise every YEAR you work there. So it take a year to just make 7.50 and hour...

About average for grocery stocking position

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Store and stockroom is clean,down to earth people.

Cons

Overnight stock and reordering schedule wasn't a pleasant one but i am not someone who handles third-shift very well.
    Pay could be better.

I would suggest paying better and you will get less of a revolving door of employees on overnight stock crews.

Great job for students.

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Clemson, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in Clemson, SC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is for advancement if you want it and show motivation. The hours are flexible and many of your coworkers are pleasant. Easy work and clean environment.

Cons

The health benefits package is terrible. The deductible is huge and their coverage is limited. There is a lot of favoritism that goes on in the workplace.

Don't expect great things here

Former Employee - Several Over the Years
    Former Employee - Several Over the Years

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and hours are flexible. Extra hours are available because people call out often. The customers are great and loyal, (but have begun leaving recently). This is the kind of job one works because they have to in order to have some sort of income or during school breaks...to this end the job suffices well.

Cons

Poor management. Managers are of the opinion that there is a store full of other people who will get fired before they do. Some stores are well managed, but these are few and far between. There is often a glass ceiling of friends and buddies to break through before anyone gets anywhere. Starting pay and raises are very poor in comparison to the industry average. Their competition consistently pays better and gets the best managers and supervisors to work for them instead. Most employees are afraid of losing their jobs and are reminded that they can be replaced at a moment's notice. The company structure is very vertical and the management style is very autocratic. Morale is at an all-time low. You won't get any farther than associate or customer service manager or department head if you don't know somebody.

Improve your training programs and instill some confidence in your people. Pay more realistic wages and offer FAIR opportunities for advancement. Too many friends are fast-tracked while committed, hard-working associates are ignored entirely. In almost fifteen years of working for this company I saw favoritism and nepotism run rampant. Work toward a culture of collaboration and team work rather than top-down, "do as I say, not as I do", mentality. As mentioned above, the customers are leaving at a regular pace because they recognize the atmosphere of negativity.

Hired when I could not find work.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scheduling has changed recently and hours are difficult for part time.

Cons

Very long days on weekends and very short days during the week. Can not manage personal life with hours scheduled

Employees should have more of a voice in scheduling. It is not flexible under the recent changes. Employees are leaving because of poor scheduling and attitude of the manager and CSMs need improvement. Maybe more customer service training.

Don't expect to go far.

Current Employee - Cashier in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Anderson, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a lot of customer service experience and most managers are willing to work with your school schedule. Weekly paycheck.

Cons

Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits. The management only seem interested in promoting their favorites, so if you don't suck up to them, you don't get ahead. You also only get a 25 cent yearly raise and you have to fight to get it. Seems like everyone with some sort of management job can get away with not doing their job and products are always coming up wrong so you get a lot of customers yelling at you and giving things away for free. If you can put up with it, it's great for part time. If not, try to get out as soon as you can.

I know the higher ups are can see what we're doing at this store. Why are you letting people get away with only working two hours and not doing their job right? The store manager can be the worst one, leaving whenever he feels like and pushing his job onto the assistant store manager or whoever is unlucky enough to be near him at the time. Also, instead of trying to increase your sales, try updating your computer equipment. I don't know why South Carolina is the last place to get new equipment, but we're working on registers that were outdated in 1999. At least give cashiers a belt so they can scan things faster.

It's been great everyone is like family here.

I have been working at Ingles Markets

Pros

Everyone so friendly. And polite. And very helpful

Cons

2 of the registers don't work. That's about it

Be organized. And fair. To everyone

Horrible keep it movin

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Griffin, GA
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Griffin, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

out of the rain, weekly gas money check

Cons

low pay, making company huge profits,with a skilled trade and still no pay. NO INCENTIVE...KEEP IT MOVIN. Offer 13.00 an hour for 25 years exp

Sheer Torture

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Starting pay is good. Fairly consistent work schedule.

Cons

*Managers routinely curse out their employees.
    *Receive conflicting instructions from different supervisors.
    *Minimal pay raises (if you're lucky enough to get one) is $.25 per hour.

Stop cursing and terrorizing your employees.

Poorly managed.

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Cleveland, GA
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Cleveland, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good entry level job experience for high school students.

Cons

Little to no upward mobility.