Ingles Markets Reviews

Reset
2.7
Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I enjoyed the laid back environment as business was never too bad, until some other nearby stores shut down (in 6 reviews)

• I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunities to becoming full time unless you are management and stores are cutting employees hours because of the Affordable Care Act (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

1. Need to be a man to get paid well

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Gray, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Gray, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with the public. Learn from some of the best managers.

Cons

Very difficult to move up. If you are good at what you do they don't want to promote because they don't want to lose you.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers evenly

2. Pharmacy technician

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were there for me when I needed a job and for that I am grateful

Cons

I do not get enough hours

Advice to Management

no none at all

3. Worked as a cashier for 3 weeks

Former Employee - Cashier in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Easley, SC

Pros

Helping customers can be fun. I loved it when families come through the line and I got to talk to them!

Cons

Well, I applied to work at an Ingles in South Carolina for the summer, as I was moving there to do a summer internship. I needed to work part time to make some money while I was doing my internship. The hiring process was slightly disorganized. I interviewed in person. The hiring manager strongly implied I would be able to start my shift between 3:30 and 4. Once hired, however, they scheduled me for late evening constantly, making my commute impossible. I formally requested to have my shift begin 3:30 to 4,but the request was ignored 2 weeks in a row. I worked with all high school students, who were somewhat immature and unprofessional at times. The managers were the real problem. Most (not all) were bossy, rude, and did not foster any kind of team spirit. I got yelled at for something that wasn't even my fault. When the manager found out it wasn't my fault, he still refused to apologize. I had a very bad experience and quit after three weeks, because I couldn't take the crap anymore.

Advice to Management

Be nicer. Don't make false promises. Give an actual employee orientation. Teach high school students about professionalism. Give clear instructions to employees.

5. Great for highschool students

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is a little above minimum wage, great part time job for highschool because they can work around your schedule, meet new people and talking to strangers helps break you out of your shell.

Cons

My first day I showed up and no one knew I got hired. It feels a bit unorganized, but things manage to get done. It can be a bit of a pain to get your schedule in order but nothing anyone can't handle.

Advice to Management

Try to keep other employees on task instead of socializing with others. It puts more pressure on those of us trying to do our job when customers would rather wait in a long line than break up a conversation between a couple cashiers.

6. College Student

Current Employee - Stock Crew in Cullowhee, NC
    Current Employee - Stock Crew in Cullowhee, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets (More than a year)

Pros

Perfect for college school schedule

Cons

Working with younger employees from high school that bring drama to work.

Advice to Management

None

7. at least it's a paycheck

Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Kings Mountain, NC
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator in Kings Mountain, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired in the bakery and mainly did cake decorating. I enjoy decorating and have improved my skills.

Cons

The environment is incredibly unprofessional and there's tons of fighting between coworkers. I can't wait til I find another job elsewhere. The amount of product they throw away every single day is absolutely disgusting.

Advice to Management

The existing rules need to be enforced and there should be a higher standard for the product being placed on the shelves. Also, pay more.

8. Meat Department Manager

Current Employee - Meat Department Manager
    Current Employee - Meat Department Manager

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy our customers and the people I work with. Ingles has a lot of good people in bad work situations.

Cons

Not competitive with salary and this forces turnover. Have to continue to train new employees because of this. Upper management does not have a clue as to what goes on in the stores. We get new policy after new policy handed down to us, at times conflicting policies. Pay scale across the board.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. Better benefits. Be competitive. Your people make the difference between you and Walmart, so keep them happy.

9. Deli worker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing that comes to mind is close to home. They do start you at a some what wage . That being 9/hour.

Cons

No benefits. No raise until after one year of service. Very poor management on all levels. Very high turn over in deli. Moral is awful. No set procedures on how to do each jobs. You mainly wing it. Managers have no respect for the employee.

Advice to Management

Get a clue as what is going on in each department. Some department managers do need to be replaced.

10. My manager is amazing, the work is easy and everyone there is so nice!

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Oteen, NC
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Oteen, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is amazing, you get paid weekly, it's in a convenient location and everyone who works there is ready to help you.

Cons

The work in the bakery is very tedious and redundant. Same routine every night. Pan cookies, sweep/wash floor, wash dishes...etc

11. Bookkeeper

Current Employee - OFFICE MANAGER/BOOKKEEPER in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - OFFICE MANAGER/BOOKKEEPER in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent job. My manager is a pro and knows what it takes to be a success. Decent benefits and the company offers room for growth and likes to promote from within whenever possible.

Cons

Salary is minimal for many positions and you usually have to start with a part-time position. You must be able to multi-task in the bookkeeper position!

RSS Feed </> Embed