Ingles Markets

Updated October 14, 2014
2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

• Good introduction to customer service and great coworkers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A great learning experience.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kings Mountain, NC
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kings Mountain, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talking to friends and customers

Cons

Very confusing with work flow changes

I didn't get a chance to advance up

Very easygoing environment with good coworkers and management. Would be a great second job if someone needed extra money

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back environment, pay not bad for grocery store work, management is approachable.

Cons

Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends

Open more stores in the Knoxville, TN area

Lacking

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours if you having understanding management.
    Easy transferring to other job openings.

Cons

You have to lay down the law and guidelines for your hiring, otherwise they will ride you for as long as they possibly can. The pay is pretty horrid for the amount of work. Typical hourly job expectations and restrictions.

Understand people have a life outside of work. Working here as a younger person that isn't in it for much more than a paycheck, it's hard to gain anything useful out of it.

Poor corporate culture bleeding down to the store level

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Jasper, GA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Jasper, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. This chain needs a full-on over haul of how the hire, manage, and care for their most important employees....The little guys.

Cons

Ignorance abounds. A general attitude of "who cares," they're just part-time idiots that don't matter. Well, wake up the little guy is the guy that pays your payroll. Remember the little guy (staff/clerk) keeps the dollars coming in, so you can keep your job. The corporate culture is horrible and management is highly disrespectful to their lower level employees. Shameful really.

Spend your money on internal and B2B training. Without your staff you'll be closing your doors and from what I experienced your management team and general corporate culture is myopic at best. Change your ways or the marketplace will change you by closing your doors one store at a time.

Grocery Stocker

Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Easley, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment and good people to work with. Ample opportunities to get promotions, they are really flexible with your schedule if you are in school.

Cons

Scheduling could be hectic and past managers have been known to carry their personal problems to the work area.

Reward the people that are doing their job and extra incentives on holidays would be nice.

has its perks

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Have always worked around my schedule.

Cons

Corp doesn't understand the work load they send down to store level sometimes

none

Good stable work

Current Employee - Night Stock in Athens, TN
    Current Employee - Night Stock in Athens, TN

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a retail job with retail hours regardless of what shift or position you work. Ingles offers a stable workplace to learn basic skills or begin a new career. Ingles has a 401k that offers to match 50%. They have worked with me on my scheduling and if I need a weekend off they allow you to switch days with others to make it happen. I read a lot negative reviews about this company...Ingles has a whole is a great company however each location will be ran and operated differently...it.s up to you the employee to make it a good experience.

Cons

As I mentioned each location is different. Where I'm at the store management needs a reality check. Other than that...no complaints.

It's OK and good practice to be a part of your employees personal life. Get to know them...what makes them who they are...they're needs...they're aspirations. Management needs to tend to employees like crops in a garden...The more tending...weeding the better the overall outcome.

decent job for high schoolers who need spending money until something better comes along

Former Employee - Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Service Clerk

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing is really coming to mind.. i guess i had a few interesting conversations with customers. way more rude customers overall though

Cons

leadership is bad. manager's quote: "we will hire anyone with two teeth in their head" so naturally the turnover rate is high. you dont always get days off even when you ask well in advance. raises based on seniority not performance so very little incentive to work hard

see cons list and fix stated issues

Worst Job EVER!

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Locust Grove, GA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Locust Grove, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The beginning salary is $8.00
    You meet some good customers and great employees.
    The manager for the shift pretty much declares whether or not it'll be a good day or not.

Cons

-Extremely poor management!
    -Do not expect to be seen or treated like an adult, especially if you're a service clerk. The worst job.
    -People are very disgusting and the work is sometimes tedious.
    -The managers seriously do not care and expect you to do every stupid request they give you because you're under them (things that are not even found in the job description).
    -They will also target and manipulate others by threatening their jobs.
    -The workers who receive favoritism are excused from doing their job, so you have to pick up all chores.
    -Most of the management treat the store like a high school. Do not be shocked at the ample amount of drama and gossip being spread around the store.
    -The customers sometines have very ridiculous request and will become very upset and aggressive with the cashier for a mistake that was not in their control! (A product rings up for the wrong price).
    -Very inconsistent hours.
    -You'll be training the person who is destined to replace you.
    -Management will take out personal issues on employees by treating them in a despicable, very unprofessional manner.
    -The few managers who actually represent and respect the employees will be highly criticized and abandoned by the rest of management.

Actually do your job! Stop treating the employees like idiot children! Stop targeting particular employees and having them complete ridiculous task. You NEED to listen to your employees and customers especially if a large group is complaining about ONE manager in particular. Definitely need to invest in better employee evaluations. Please STOP hiring a bunch of people unfit for this job just because they have a pretty smile and fulfill your secret fantasy. If too many people are on the front end and there's only one person in the bakery, perhaps you should start taking that into consideration you morons!

My experience at ingles was just awful at times and good at times

Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, TN
    Former Employee - Meat Cutter in Athens, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well the pros are that I no longer work there. That place drove me absolutely crazy to the point of no return

Cons

Many cons but just to name the major ones. The management is god awful. They play favorites to an extreme. If you do your job they will get on to you. If your on your knees the management will love you. Then you have the customers. They apparently think since they pay more for their groceries that they deserve some kind of special treatment. I don't think so.

Get a new CEO. Clean house and just maybe the place won't be obsolete in a few years