Ingles Markets Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours (in 6 reviews)

• Interaction with customers is a plus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A place to start, build basic customer service skills, then move on.

Former Employee - Service Clerk  in  Cleveland, GA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Cleveland, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for less than a year

Pros

Balanced work life, repetitive tasks to familiarize employees with system, and a general atmosphere of help from other employees at similar levels.

Cons

Some store managers seem to forget who really are the people that make the store money. Not like a professional service firm where a manager makes significant billable hours.

Visit and observe stores anonymously, note hard workers, and let them know of their accomplishments

Great first job!

Former Employee - Book Keeper  in  Canton, NC
    Former Employee - Book Keeper in Canton, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people eople are great, relatively easy to transfer to different departments if desired, flexible schedule makes it an almost perfect job for a high school/college kid

Cons

low pay and very difficult to get a raise, also very difficult to advance career, and there isminimal employee training

Worked full-time night shift stocking while store was closed, negative work environment.

Current Employee - Stock Clerk  in  Belton, SC
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Belton, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having a full-time job during the economic downturn, close to home (able to walk to work)

Cons

Night shift is tough on the body, management was not encouraging and mostly functioned by making people fear for their jobs, almost all co-workers were racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it.

Install cameras with microphones or don't have night shift workers when store is closed. Would cut down immediately on theft and create a more positive, accountable work environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with. I was able to be promoted fairly quickly at a young age which gave me great experience.

Cons

The hours I worked while being a student were hard, I worked full-time hours with part time benefits.

Some of the managers want to be more like friends to the young employees than supervisors, this is never a good thing.

It's a friendly place to work.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Brevard, NC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Brevard, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

They care about employees, you get decent hours, generally all the customers and co-workers are friendly, and customer service is helpful.

Cons

A lot of high schoolers and the schedule is posted one day before the upcoming week, which makes scheduling difficult. At Starbucks, some customers get frustrated.

Flexible schedule

Former Employee - Seafood Clerk/Barista  in  Hull, GA
    Former Employee - Seafood Clerk/Barista in Hull, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Willing to work with you on a flexible schedule

Cons

Never have a weekend off, the benefits, the pay

Good for the first few months and that is it.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Clarkesville, GA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Clarkesville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

The schedule is flexible if you don't have anything to do. The pay at Starbucks is only slightly higher than minimum wage, so it's slightly better than a first job as a teenager anywhere else, or as a bagger.

Cons

There are no opportunities for advancement unless you are a cute girl the store manager flirts with. The management are also quite rude to most employees including other management officials. The pay is sub-par after multiple years of work. I have been working for the same Ingles Markets Starbucks licensed store for over two years and my pay has only increased by $.25. I waited over three months for my first year and second year evaluations, which decide whether or not you get a raise. It's been over four months since my second year anniversary and I still don't have a raise in. The job only barely pays enough to take care of oneself.

Please, be more kind to your employees, no matter the department or STORE, pay them better, and make it worthwhile to them to work as hard as they can. Pay them with appreciation, if not with money. If you can do this, then your employees will take care of all the customers and your company will thrive like never before.

Good for high school but needed to move on

Former Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper  in  Lenoir City, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper in Lenoir City, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, and opportunity for advancement when it arises... If you show initiative. 20% of the customers have been coming there their entire lives are a very sweet.

Cons

Underpaid as a bookkeeper. They hire too many people and cut hours without notice. 50% of the customers are the scum that lives next to the building have no respect for themselves or others and can become unbearable "serving" them.

I'm surprised I even got a job here, they really only hire people they know... and they can be cliquey. Otherwise, they are understanding people who do care about the store and are genuinely nice.

Not a bad company to work for

Former Employee - Service Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

All co workers are friendly, interacting with customers

Cons

Not many hours when i worked, bad pay

Give employees room for advancement

Out standing company

Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate  in  Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ingles cares about its employeess and they show it through their actions. Training is state of the art and there are chances for everyone. I have been in management for over 20 years and this is the very best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

I have, so far, found none/

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!