Ingles Markets

Updated August 12, 2014

2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours (in 6 reviews)

• Interaction with customers is a plus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked full-time night shift stocking while store was closed, negative work environment.

Current Employee - Stock Clerk  in  Belton, SC
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Belton, SC

Pros

Having a full-time job during the economic downturn, close to home (able to walk to work)

Cons

Night shift is tough on the body, management was not encouraging and mostly functioned by making people fear for their jobs, almost all co-workers were racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it.

Install cameras with microphones or don't have night shift workers when store is closed. Would cut down immediately on theft and create a more positive, accountable work environment.

Good for the first few months and that is it.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Clarkesville, GA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Clarkesville, GA

Pros

The schedule is flexible if you don't have anything to do. The pay at Starbucks is only slightly higher than minimum wage, so it's slightly better than a first job as a teenager anywhere else, or as a bagger.

Cons

There are no opportunities for advancement unless you are a cute girl the store manager flirts with. The management are also quite rude to most employees including other management officials. The pay is sub-par after multiple years of work. I have been working for the same Ingles Markets Starbucks licensed store for over two years and my pay has only increased by $.25. I waited over three months for my first year and second year evaluations, which decide whether or not you get a raise. It's been over four months since my second year anniversary and I still don't have a raise in. The job only barely pays enough to take care of oneself.

Please, be more kind to your employees, no matter the department or STORE, pay them better, and make it worthwhile to them to work as hard as they can. Pay them with appreciation, if not with money. If you can do this, then your employees will take care of all the customers and your company will thrive like never before.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with. I was able to be promoted fairly quickly at a young age which gave me great experience.

Cons

The hours I worked while being a student were hard, I worked full-time hours with part time benefits.

Some of the managers want to be more like friends to the young employees than supervisors, this is never a good thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a friendly place to work.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Brevard, NC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Brevard, NC

Pros

They care about employees, you get decent hours, generally all the customers and co-workers are friendly, and customer service is helpful.

Cons

A lot of high schoolers and the schedule is posted one day before the upcoming week, which makes scheduling difficult. At Starbucks, some customers get frustrated.

Flexible schedule

Former Employee - Seafood Clerk/Barista  in  Hull, GA
    Former Employee - Seafood Clerk/Barista in Hull, GA

Pros

Willing to work with you on a flexible schedule

Cons

Never have a weekend off, the benefits, the pay

Good for high school but needed to move on

Former Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper  in  Lenoir City, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper in Lenoir City, TN

Pros

Great co-workers, and opportunity for advancement when it arises... If you show initiative. 20% of the customers have been coming there their entire lives are a very sweet.

Cons

Underpaid as a bookkeeper. They hire too many people and cut hours without notice. 50% of the customers are the scum that lives next to the building have no respect for themselves or others and can become unbearable "serving" them.

I'm surprised I even got a job here, they really only hire people they know... and they can be cliquey. Otherwise, they are understanding people who do care about the store and are genuinely nice.

Not a bad company to work for

Former Employee - Service Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Asheville, NC

Pros

All co workers are friendly, interacting with customers

Cons

Not many hours when i worked, bad pay

Give employees room for advancement

Great Store, Out of Touch Corporation

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk

Pros

I worked as a Bakery Clerk for Ingles Market for three years from February 2011 to February 2014. I enjoyed worked for the store and the Bakery Department in the following ways:

Enjoyed working with my co-workers and the Bakery Manager cared about the employees and the Bakery Associates worked together as a team to get the job done.

The store management was in touch with the employees and assisted the employees anyway they could help out.

Enjoyed working with the customers who shopped at Ingles Market and interacting with them on a regular basis.

Cons

When it comes to the disadvantages of working for Ingles Market;

The pay is very low and the corporation holds off on giving you a raise as long as they can. Pay raises only occur once every year and a half and its only by $.25 cents an hour. In the three years I worked there, my pay only increased by $.75. Also, the company does not pay their part time employees time and a half during the holidays.

Part time employees give little or no recognition from the corporate office. I believe the part time employees are the backbone to the company because without us, the company could not function.

Part time employees get no benefits or rewards. This includes no medical insurance, no vacation time, no extra pay for the holidays and no sick days.

No opportunities to becoming full time unless you are management and stores are cutting employees hours because of the Affordable Care Act.

There are no opportunities for advancement at Ingles unless you suck up to someone. The Ingles Career Opportunities Program which is better known as ICOP is a Joke. You have associates call an automatic phone number so we can tell an automatic phone system what you’re interested in even though you never hear back from any of the store about career opportunities and there are no opportunities of becoming a full time employee no matter how hard you work.

Some employees are required to work during their meal break, even though you don’t get paid for your work.

There is no break area for employees only. You have to take your breaks in the Corner Café where you have to share an area with both employees and customers.

Here is my advice to corporate office;

You need to have a better advancement program for employees who want to advance. After all, you have many talented associates who want to take on more responsible roles but your current system is outdated.

During the holidays, the store should close down early on Thanksgiving Day and Independence Day. I understand customers need last minute items but you stay open all day to an empty store of customers and employees want to spend time with family, not spend time working when corporate employees get these days off. Also, you should close down on Easter so that associates can spend time with the family and friends.

Corporation needs to be more involved with the employees of the store since the corporation is out of touch with what goes on at the stores. You like to tell employees what to do and you expect us to do it with no questions asked. I suggest that you send corporate employees to work at store and in departments for the day so that you can realize what duties we have to perform because we are the backbone to the company because without us, the company would not be successful.

All employees should be allowed to purchase company stock. After all, we contribute to the sales of the company and while other chain grocery retailers let their employees purchase stock, only a select handful of corporate employees and purchase stock.

Out standing company

Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate  in  Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate in Hendersonville, NC

Pros

Ingles cares about its employeess and they show it through their actions. Training is state of the art and there are chances for everyone. I have been in management for over 20 years and this is the very best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

I have, so far, found none/

Decent Management, poor building quality

Current Employee - Cashier, Service Clerk, Stock Clerk
    Current Employee - Cashier, Service Clerk, Stock Clerk

Pros

It was very easy to get a job here and as long as you are reasonably respectful, you can hold your position for years. You get to meet local people and, with time, become part of their lives.

Cons

Since the company hires more people than it actually needs, the hours are very limited. The work tends to be very repetitive and employees rarely see growth and mental stimulation. There is little chance for advancing in the company and the pay tends to be as close to minimum wage as possible for every position. It takes most cashiers almost two years to get a measly quarter raise, that is if they stay that long.

Give employees a chance to learn and work in multiple areas of the store. If the person is a great employee then an annual raise should be in order. Also, management should be active and friendly in the workplace.

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!