Ingles Markets

Updated December 9, 2014
2.9

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

• With health insurance not factored in, it does have competitive entry level retail full time benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay Away.

Current Employee - Service Clerk
    Current Employee - Service Clerk

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's being employed, but now with shorter hours. Still beats being unemployed.

Cons

Good work is ignored. Not rewarded. The company uses a contract company with Secret Shoppers & real customers are ignored. Store management constantly belittling & shouting @ workers on the sales floor. Very hostile work environment. Workers are pieces of machinery not human beings.

Focus on real customers. A worker goes above & beyond, then show some appreciation! Make store managers accountable to someone. If a store has a high turnover rate, there is a reason! Allow people to buy into the major medical coverage.

Good Job while working through school.

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Good introduction to customer service and great coworkers. They are flexible with your schedule and provide good hours. Environment is relaxed and friendly.

Cons

Low starting base pay and small raises. Few opportunities for advancement. Store equipment is generally outdated. Working with the public means you will deal with some rude and mean customers.

Okay place if you only want to work 2 days a week.

Current Employee - Cashier in Clarkesville, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Clarkesville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a good place for a high school student who is only looking to work a few days a week.

Cons

You're lucky if you get 3 days a week. Management gets mad when you ask for a day off. They will not let you ask off for any holidays, even if your family is going out of town to visit relatives. They say they care about employes and customers, but they really only care about making money. Management sits in the office all day and gossips about employes. It's really just a bunch of drama. I've only received a 25 cent raise for the 2+ years I've been working here.

Be nice to your employes.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

With an Ingles ever few miles it is not hard to find one within walking distance from your home and most of my co-worker were nice people.

Cons

My department manager never has the items we need to do our jobs on hand, then when we can not complete the jobs will curse us. Manager also claims cleaning is a waste of time.

If you know a department is failing due poor management don't just keep bring in new people that run off in a few weeks due to being yelled at, blamed for things they have no power over, and being called names, get a new department manager.

A place to start, build basic customer service skills, then move on.

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Cleveland, GA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Cleveland, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Balanced work life, repetitive tasks to familiarize employees with system, and a general atmosphere of help from other employees at similar levels.

Cons

Some store managers seem to forget who really are the people that make the store money. Not like a professional service firm where a manager makes significant billable hours.

Visit and observe stores anonymously, note hard workers, and let them know of their accomplishments

Great first job!

Former Employee - Book Keeper in Canton, NC
    Former Employee - Book Keeper in Canton, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people eople are great, relatively easy to transfer to different departments if desired, flexible schedule makes it an almost perfect job for a high school/college kid

Cons

low pay and very difficult to get a raise, also very difficult to advance career, and there isminimal employee training

Good for the first few months and that is it.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Clarkesville, GA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Clarkesville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible if you don't have anything to do. The pay at Starbucks is only slightly higher than minimum wage, so it's slightly better than a first job as a teenager anywhere else, or as a bagger.

Cons

There are no opportunities for advancement unless you are a cute girl the store manager flirts with. The management are also quite rude to most employees including other management officials. The pay is sub-par after multiple years of work. I have been working for the same Ingles Markets Starbucks licensed store for over two years and my pay has only increased by $.25. I waited over three months for my first year and second year evaluations, which decide whether or not you get a raise. It's been over four months since my second year anniversary and I still don't have a raise in. The job only barely pays enough to take care of oneself.

Please, be more kind to your employees, no matter the department or STORE, pay them better, and make it worthwhile to them to work as hard as they can. Pay them with appreciation, if not with money. If you can do this, then your employees will take care of all the customers and your company will thrive like never before.

Worked full-time night shift stocking while store was closed, negative work environment.

Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Belton, SC
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Belton, SC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a full-time job during the economic downturn, close to home (able to walk to work)

Cons

Night shift is tough on the body, management was not encouraging and mostly functioned by making people fear for their jobs, almost all co-workers were racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it.

Install cameras with microphones or don't have night shift workers when store is closed. Would cut down immediately on theft and create a more positive, accountable work environment.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with. I was able to be promoted fairly quickly at a young age which gave me great experience.

Cons

The hours I worked while being a student were hard, I worked full-time hours with part time benefits.

Some of the managers want to be more like friends to the young employees than supervisors, this is never a good thing.

It's a friendly place to work.

Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Brevard, NC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Barista in Brevard, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They care about employees, you get decent hours, generally all the customers and co-workers are friendly, and customer service is helpful.

Cons

A lot of high schoolers and the schedule is posted one day before the upcoming week, which makes scheduling difficult. At Starbucks, some customers get frustrated.