Ingles Markets

Updated November 12, 2014
2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • I'm a part time worker and they work around your schedule especially if you have school (in 8 reviews)

• With health insurance not factored in, it does have competitive entry level retail full time benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you work full-time (and good luck getting it), you get no benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad company to work for

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All co workers are friendly, interacting with customers

Cons

Not many hours when i worked, bad pay

Give employees room for advancement

Out standing company

Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate in Hendersonville, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Deli Associate in Hendersonville, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ingles cares about its employeess and they show it through their actions. Training is state of the art and there are chances for everyone. I have been in management for over 20 years and this is the very best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

I have, so far, found none/

Great Store, Out of Touch Corporation

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a Bakery Clerk for Ingles Market for three years from February 2011 to February 2014. I enjoyed worked for the store and the Bakery Department in the following ways:

Enjoyed working with my co-workers and the Bakery Manager cared about the employees and the Bakery Associates worked together as a team to get the job done.

The store management was in touch with the employees and assisted the employees anyway they could help out.

Enjoyed working with the customers who shopped at Ingles Market and interacting with them on a regular basis.

Cons

When it comes to the disadvantages of working for Ingles Market;

The pay is very low and the corporation holds off on giving you a raise as long as they can. Pay raises only occur once every year and a half and its only by $.25 cents an hour. In the three years I worked there, my pay only increased by $.75. Also, the company does not pay their part time employees time and a half during the holidays.

Part time employees give little or no recognition from the corporate office. I believe the part time employees are the backbone to the company because without us, the company could not function.

Part time employees get no benefits or rewards. This includes no medical insurance, no vacation time, no extra pay for the holidays and no sick days.

No opportunities to becoming full time unless you are management and stores are cutting employees hours because of the Affordable Care Act.

There are no opportunities for advancement at Ingles unless you suck up to someone. The Ingles Career Opportunities Program which is better known as ICOP is a Joke. You have associates call an automatic phone number so we can tell an automatic phone system what you’re interested in even though you never hear back from any of the store about career opportunities and there are no opportunities of becoming a full time employee no matter how hard you work.

Some employees are required to work during their meal break, even though you don’t get paid for your work.

There is no break area for employees only. You have to take your breaks in the Corner Café where you have to share an area with both employees and customers.

Here is my advice to corporate office;

You need to have a better advancement program for employees who want to advance. After all, you have many talented associates who want to take on more responsible roles but your current system is outdated.

During the holidays, the store should close down early on Thanksgiving Day and Independence Day. I understand customers need last minute items but you stay open all day to an empty store of customers and employees want to spend time with family, not spend time working when corporate employees get these days off. Also, you should close down on Easter so that associates can spend time with the family and friends.

Corporation needs to be more involved with the employees of the store since the corporation is out of touch with what goes on at the stores. You like to tell employees what to do and you expect us to do it with no questions asked. I suggest that you send corporate employees to work at store and in departments for the day so that you can realize what duties we have to perform because we are the backbone to the company because without us, the company would not be successful.

All employees should be allowed to purchase company stock. After all, we contribute to the sales of the company and while other chain grocery retailers let their employees purchase stock, only a select handful of corporate employees and purchase stock.

Decent Management, poor building quality

Current Employee - Cashier, Service Clerk, Stock Clerk
    Current Employee - Cashier, Service Clerk, Stock Clerk

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was very easy to get a job here and as long as you are reasonably respectful, you can hold your position for years. You get to meet local people and, with time, become part of their lives.

Cons

Since the company hires more people than it actually needs, the hours are very limited. The work tends to be very repetitive and employees rarely see growth and mental stimulation. There is little chance for advancing in the company and the pay tends to be as close to minimum wage as possible for every position. It takes most cashiers almost two years to get a measly quarter raise, that is if they stay that long.

Give employees a chance to learn and work in multiple areas of the store. If the person is a great employee then an annual raise should be in order. Also, management should be active and friendly in the workplace.

Hey, it's retail.

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

With health insurance not factored in, it does have competitive entry level retail full time benefits.

Cons

Having said the previous, I have noticed a steep decline in upper managements care for associate morale.

Realize that it is your hourly workers who maintain customer outlook. These are positions filled with people who deserve more than a yearly $.25/hr raise and a taxed store gift card at Christmas. I am not suggesting major displays of affection. Simple gestures, an example would be, I worked for a different company who's manager would once a quarter come in and grill hamburgers, hot dogs, etc for all employees. Also, an orientation and training period for all new employees would be beneficial. Having started with this company as a cashier, I have noticed that even front service clerks need training.

sales

I have been working at Ingles Markets

Pros

noth a very good sales job and didn't like it

Cons

the worst sale sjob ever abd didt like it

management sucks

Former Employee - Stocker in Hazelwood, NC
    Former Employee - Stocker in Hazelwood, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

was fun at one point tell new co manager. most all other employees where great to be around most were friendly

Cons

treated like a dog no call back when you call corporate office act like your the bad guy when you do your job having 2 people to throw a 900 peace truck then getting mad because you were not done by 7 am too much backstabbing going on

don't treat your employees like thay are beneath you

Grocery Manager Compensation

Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Grocery Manager in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

No training of available benefits

Unfortunate...that they are one of the largest employers in the area. But..not for much longer.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good for meeting people in your area.

Cons

Not recognized for your accomplishments. Promised raises with promotions that are lies. Oh..you get to do more work ,just not more money. "Management"..is that what they call it? 25 cent raises no matter how hard you work and then they are never given in a timely manner if you get it at all. Gotta be buddies with management..or maybe a football player or the friend of a friend...

You are an American company. Too bad you cannot set a positive example for the Americans that work themselves so hard for you and show a little appreciation. You are very good teachers at teaching your pathetic managers how to try and tear people down.

awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kings Mountain, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

relationships with your co workers

Cons

low pay
    no hours
    unfair treatment
    don't appreciate your workers at all

treat people how you want to be treated