Ingles Markets

Updated September 10, 2014
2.8

Ingles Markets CEO Robert P. Ingle II
Robert P. Ingle II

Pros
  • Even as a part time employee, you have the potential to work full-time hours (in 6 reviews)

• Interaction with customers is a plus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rude customers (although that's everywhere in retail), sometimes difficult to get full time, lots of weekends (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, low raises, & inconsistency with hours if you're a part time worker (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Was my first job as I went into college, I have worked two years and about four or so months now as a cashier.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Morganton, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Morganton, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

It has given me a decent experience with dealing with costumers and just getting used to having a job. I enjoy some of my coworkers company. Flexible hours at times. I enjoyed the laid back environment as business was never too bad, until some other nearby stores shut down. Management makes sure that during down time when there are not many customers, that employees are doing something productive, such as tidying up displays nearby or cleaning.

Cons

The majority of the staff working up front is in high school, some first shift but mostly second shift, and as such we are all treated like we are undisciplined teenagers. Management is bad with giving out breaks as most times if the main manager is working they do not start breaks in the front until noon or later; the first shift people arrive at seven. Many times they forget to send people on break overall. A small thing that is not that much of an issue but I would like to point out, there is no employee discount or anything. They tend to over-hire which causes hours to be cut drastically. When someone new is hired they pair them off to be trained by another employee, sometimes an employee who has not been working but two months or so, as such, that employee will not be aware of many things and will therefore not be able to train well enough. When I started they worked well with giving me hours and balancing my college life. I had classes that ran late and some nights that were devoted to family time. Now, they do not schedule me anytime through the school week when I could work five total days instead of three just because I have a class that runs until 4:50 p.m. During the summer when I had no classes I tried to push to join third shift so I could get more hours and be paid more hourly, but management always had some excuse and would brush me aside. They do not value many of the front end employees as there is always someone else waiting to be hired at all times. You may be written up for the simplest mistakes that can easily corrected.

Communicate with each other. Not all of the employees are undisciplined teenagers who are just working to make their parents happy, but are actually needing this job.

Good and bad

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Sweetwater, TN
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Sweetwater, TN

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours at times, can vary depending on overall business. Decent pay for retail, definitely better than fast food. Possible to become full time without necessarily having to move into a management position unlike fast food or other retail chains.

Cons

Lack of a core training program for new employees. No drug testing of employees prior to beginning of employment. High turnover, even among top store level management. Department head, full time assistant, and store Co-Manager all fired within a three month period before or just after Christmas 2011, not the easiest thing to deal with, especially at the busiest time of the year for retail, and not a good morale image for part-time and non management employees seeing your supervisors get fired repeatedly.

not the best job out there.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Spruce Pine, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Spruce Pine, NC

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

meet great people there. met my current boyfriend there. n alot of my friends there. were a big ole family in some ways

Cons

managers pick favorites. if you have a family emergencies n you cant find somebody to work for u your screwed....they write you up in a heart beat... nobody gets full time ever!!! the managers are blind we had the biggest pot head before she quit...she would come back from break reaking of marijuana.

open your eyes..and see whose best for your company n dont let your favorites slack.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great management, poor location

Former Employee - Self-Checkout Coordinator  in  Greensboro, GA
    Former Employee - Self-Checkout Coordinator in Greensboro, GA

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The managers are awesome. If you show them loyalty, they will bend over backwards to help you. I was in the Greensboro, GA location, and during my time there, I only worked under 2 bad managers. The rest were absolutely fantastic.

Cons

Greene County. I love where I was born and raised, but the work ethic of the people in this county is seriously lackluster. In my 7 years at this job, I saw around 100 people come and go, and 90% of them had horrible work ethic. The other 10% went to a job with better employees.

Try harder to search for better employees! Other than that I loved you guys!

Overall a positive experience especially considering it is retail.

Current Employee - Store Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Store Co-Manager

I have been working at Ingles Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ingles has a laid back environment.

Cons

Unfortunately it is still the retail industry.

n/a

Crappy and demeaning.

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time

Pros

Paychecks don't bounce. Can't think of anything else.

Cons

Will fire you or lay you off for no reason.

Resign and let real human beings take over.

Management turns a blind eye to bad supervisors.

Former Employee - NONE  in  Black Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - NONE in Black Mountain, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Close to my home. It was real easy to quit!

Cons

Supervisors lack the basic ability to supervise their staff and have no accountability for a job badly done. People are advanced at the corporate office for longevity instead of merit. Never met a nastier bunch of unhappy co-workers. Just a paycheck. No merit awards except numbers of years these people have hung onto their jobs. Benefits are nil. No sick time for office employees. One women having chemotherapy had to use her vacation days if she was to be out a couple days. That's just shameful! Vacation policy is archaic. Raises are .25/hour max.

Most of your VP's and managers are insiders. The only job they have ever held is at Ingles. Lifers are complacent. They're just filling chairs until retirement. Bring in some outside blood to advance your company. Stand up and be decent to your employees! Demote bad supervisors! SELL to Publics!

Stagnant

Current Employee - Service Clerk  in  Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Cartersville, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to gain experience, and hone in on customer service skills.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement and/or raises. Employees are treated fairly, but are not given any perks or rewards. There is no incentive for hard work other than keeping your job.

Offer incentives to employees, allow more raises, listen to employee concerns.

Good place to work if you have no job experience at all.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Villa Rica, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Villa Rica, GA

I have been working at Ingles Markets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are close, even upper management will treat you like a family member.
    There Re many different departments to chose to work for.

Cons

Low pay, $0.25 a year raise is the norm.
    Tend to over hire, then everyone has less hours.

Give longer breaks to people with 8hr+ shifts.

Worst experience ever.

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Asheville, NC

I worked at Ingles Markets part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours and pay because I needed something part-time

Cons

The management is horrible. The store manager at the store I was at would cuss out employees if she was having a bad day to the point of threatening to fire to pregnant employees if they missed anymore work because of their conditions. Our department breathed sighs of relief on that store manager's days off.

Learn to treat your employees like their human beings. We're not your personal slaves for you to take your bad day out on. We have families and children that get sick, pass away or family emergencies come up that we have no control over. Don't tell us that you're going to fire us if one more thing happens. Don't threaten our jobs when we have to miss work because we have to admit our kid into the hospital!! Use some common sense! Sensitivity train would do management some good.

Worked for Ingles Markets? Contribute to the Community!