Ingram Book Group

Updated November 18, 2014
2.6

Ingram Book Group Chairman and CEO John R. Ingram
John R. Ingram

Okay experience, although not paid enough.

Former Employee - Stocker in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Stocker in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have stable-ish income and it's at least $10/hr.

Cons

You never really know if you're supposed to be at work the next day at 5am or 7am until right before you leave work the day before. Going through Prologistix sucks because for the first 1000hrs you work their they take 30% of each hour you work untill you get hired on (or laid off) after the 1000hrs. If you do get hired on though, you get paid around $14 an hour. So, until Prologistix fills their pockets with $5000-ish per head of the workers hard earned money, then you won't get hired on.

Good and steady

Former Employee - Library Processor in Roseburg, OR
    Former Employee - Library Processor in Roseburg, OR

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the area. Good schedule as a library processor. 7-330 m - great coworkers

Cons

Repetitiveness. Standing all day in same spot. A difficult supervisor.

Conflict resolution or other classes available to employees

Take the bad with the good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, ie, vacation time, health, dental and vision insurance.

Cons

Management is managing up and not down. They can be out of touch as far as what is really happening, because they are just trying to look good to upper management. If they decide they are changing directions, you are out the door!

Listen to non-management, we are the ones doing all the work and have some good ideas.

I was discriminated against because I was gay

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have nothing good to say about the place!

Cons

Very prejudiced, provincial, discourteous, and unprofessional group of people. Management egos run high. Good ole' boy politics. Inequitable treatment among employees. Low pay and insensitive to work/life balance.

Supervisors were rather backwoods. Despite not discussing my personal life with anyone, they stereotyped and made the assumption I was gay. When I split from my partner at the time and he used the job as an avenue to "get even" with me by contacting them, that made the situation thousands of times worse.

I had to take off a few days due to the above situation to get life in order (essentially, get my things and find a new place to live). One of my leads saw me coming down the hallway the day I came back and laughed.

A member of even higher management that oversaw my unit would regularly pass me in an empty hallway and turn his head when I went to say "Hello". After this happened a couple of times, I didn't make an effort to say "hello" the next time. He immediately turned and glared at me as I passed him.

A coworker inadvertently exposed a perk where chosen employees were told they could participate in floating Fridays off over the summer. When I mentioned it to the supervisors, they were like "Oh, yeah". (they didn't intend to let me participate).

I was made to come back to work after a doctor's appointment once to finish 50 minutes left out of my workday.

I had no experience and had just gotten my degree. Despite that, my supervisors were not understanding, impatient, and nit-picked over every little thing. A member of higher management in another department sent an email over a report I submitted that had an error on it and condescendingly wrote "Even I could figure out the mistake". That email was forwarded to me. One of my supervisors emailed this overly elaborate apology and cc'd me.

Supervisor clique regularly walked out together for smoke breaks (even though one of them didn't smoke). They spent a big part of the day doing that.

Planned to quit five months after getting hired and still planned to give notice. Decided not to give notice after I was talked to by my immediate supervisors telling me my absences have been noticed by higher management and that I need to be professional. This was after I had been out a few days due to the problems with my relationship mentioned above.

Toward the end, started receiving glares from other choice coworkers because I believe my supervisors were sharing my personal situations with them.

Get diversity and sensitivity training, but I doubt that will help. Upper management needs come back down to earth and strike the overblown egos.

I was glad to work here.

Former Employee - Library Processor in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Library Processor in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a relatively clean working environment that offers positions in human resources, data room, shipping, receiving, stocking, picking, packing, small order processing and library book processing. This company offers good benefits including: health insurance, 401(k), retirement, book discounts and safety incentives!

Cons

During the busy season (Thanksgiving through New Year's) you are not permitted to take time off. Other than the busy season, you may have trouble getting a full 40 hours per week. I was fortunate enough to work in a department that had excessive overtime (at the time, for me this was not a bad thing-but does little for life outside of work). During the summer it is very hot and humid (about 10 degrees warmer than outside temperatures). They have a high turnover rate. Long hours on concrete floors can take a toll on your legs/body.

Upper management changes course frequently without warning or discussion.

Former Employee - Vice President in La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Vice President in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented work force below the senior management level. While the overall company culture is very laid back and not supportive of change and innovation, the mid-level is chomping at the bit to make things happen.

Cons

Lack of entrepeneurship throughout the business. New business ideas, even if tried and they work, are opposed by senior management unless it was their idea. Once a new business direction is approved by the CFO and CEO, other senior directors will sometimes oppose it and make it difficult for the new business to succeed by putting as many roadblocks in front of it as possible.

LISTEN TO YOUR MANAGERS AND BUSINESS UNIT HEADS. CHANGE YOUR OLD STYLE MANAGERS SO THAT NEW IDEAS BUBBLE TO THE SURFACE IN A MEANINGFUL WAY.

It was a nicely managed and clean place to work. My supervisor was very friendly and my co-workers were very helpful.

Former Employee - Shipper in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Shipper in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Ingram Book Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really liked my work hours. My job was challenging but not to difficult. They have a nice break room.

Cons

There is a lot of heavy lifting. There is no climate control.

Hire more minorities.

Great company. Micromanaging only in certain departments.

I worked at Ingram Book Group

Pros

Great benefits and awesome coworkers

Cons

Micromanagement is only con I have.

My experience so far has been very unpleasant.

Current Employee - Receiver in La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Receiver in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They offer a good hourly salary and benefits.

Cons

They will talk down to you whenever and however they want. If they decide to get rid of you they will do it through any means possible. They have no problem forcing you to do ridiculous things to try and force you to quit. Today they made everyone go outside and walk around the building picking up trash that had blown out of the dumpster. Please keep in mind it was 35 degrees and pouring down rain. It had been raining for five days straight. This should give you an example of the kind of company you are dealing with.

Please make some sort of an effort to know what is going on in your buildings. Please do not let your lower managers make decisions that are detrimental to the well being of your workers. Sending people out in the rain and cold to get soaking wet will surely cause some of them to be sick. Of course it's going to be the employees fault if they have to miss work and not the fault of management or the company right? The answer here should be: wrong!

Not The Ingram You Thought It Was

Current Employee - Manager in La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary option. Good insurance. Big, fast paced company. Nice working space usually. Appearance of employee importance.

Cons

Management is ruthless. If you aren't part of the inside "old boys" network you are not going to make it. HR is so entrenched in office politics that it has no vision of how to help employees.The company is very retail oriented and has no concept of long term investment in people and customer relationships - they only want immediate revenue opportunity regardless of the consequence. It is all about making the bottom line look good, and making the "numbers" work so executives get their bonuses. Employees are expected to work long hours without any thought of time off for it, while uppermost management lives the good life leaving promptly and arriving when they want. I've seen long term employees treated badly by managers like me. There is no "conscience" about how they treat employees. Everyone is a number without thought of how some people they routinely cut have contributed, for many years, to the bottom line. It is sad because the company has the potential to be great if only they would allow it to be.

Step back and take a long look at where you are headed. Retail is dying and you better move to keep up. The company keeps evaluating corporate culture when we all know no one really cares - it's all about dotting I's and crossing t's. Stop working so hard to make things look good on paper and just make things good.