Ingram Book Group

Updated September 14, 2014
2.3

Ingram Book Group Chairman and CEO John R. Ingram
John R. Ingram

Take the bad with the good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, ie, vacation time, health, dental and vision insurance.

Cons

Management is managing up and not down. They can be out of touch as far as what is really happening, because they are just trying to look good to upper management. If they decide they are changing directions, you are out the door!

Listen to non-management, we are the ones doing all the work and have some good ideas.

I was glad to work here.

Former Employee - Library Processor  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Library Processor in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a relatively clean working environment that offers positions in human resources, data room, shipping, receiving, stocking, picking, packing, small order processing and library book processing. This company offers good benefits including: health insurance, 401(k), retirement, book discounts and safety incentives!

Cons

During the busy season (Thanksgiving through New Year's) you are not permitted to take time off. Other than the busy season, you may have trouble getting a full 40 hours per week. I was fortunate enough to work in a department that had excessive overtime (at the time, for me this was not a bad thing-but does little for life outside of work). During the summer it is very hot and humid (about 10 degrees warmer than outside temperatures). They have a high turnover rate. Long hours on concrete floors can take a toll on your legs/body.

Upper management changes course frequently without warning or discussion.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Vice President in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very talented work force below the senior management level. While the overall company culture is very laid back and not supportive of change and innovation, the mid-level is chomping at the bit to make things happen.

Cons

Lack of entrepeneurship throughout the business. New business ideas, even if tried and they work, are opposed by senior management unless it was their idea. Once a new business direction is approved by the CFO and CEO, other senior directors will sometimes oppose it and make it difficult for the new business to succeed by putting as many roadblocks in front of it as possible.

LISTEN TO YOUR MANAGERS AND BUSINESS UNIT HEADS. CHANGE YOUR OLD STYLE MANAGERS SO THAT NEW IDEAS BUBBLE TO THE SURFACE IN A MEANINGFUL WAY.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a nicely managed and clean place to work. My supervisor was very friendly and my co-workers were very helpful.

Former Employee - Shipper  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Shipper in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Ingram Book Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really liked my work hours. My job was challenging but not to difficult. They have a nice break room.

Cons

There is a lot of heavy lifting. There is no climate control.

Hire more minorities.

Was discriminated against because I was gay.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have nothing good to say about the place!

Cons

Very prejudiced, provincial, discourteous, and unprofessional group of people. Management egos run high. Good ole' boy politics. Inequitable treatment among employees. Low pay and insensitive to work/life balance.

Your people are in dire need of diversity and sensitivity training.

Also, get your head out of the clouds. Pretty ridiculous when you pass someone from upper management in an empty hallway, say hello to them, and they turn their head without saying anything back.

All employees, not just choice employees, should be allowed to partake in perks such as floating Fridays off. It should not be kept a secret from those employees you don't like.

Be sensitive to employees that have encountered a personal tragedy. Don't laugh at them as you see them coming down the hallway.

Be patient to those you hire that are just out of school. Realize that they don't have experience and will make mistakes, so be more patient, not insulting.

Consider the practicality of employees taking sick time to go to the doctor. Is it practical to have an employee return to work for only 50 minutes after a doctor's appointment ends? It happened to me once.

Treat your employees with respect, and they won't quit without giving a notice like I did.

Great company. Micromanaging only in certain departments.

I worked at Ingram Book Group

Pros

Great benefits and awesome coworkers

Cons

Micromanagement is only con I have.

My experience so far has been very unpleasant.

Current Employee - Receiver  in  La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Receiver in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They offer a good hourly salary and benefits.

Cons

They will talk down to you whenever and however they want. If they decide to get rid of you they will do it through any means possible. They have no problem forcing you to do ridiculous things to try and force you to quit. Today they made everyone go outside and walk around the building picking up trash that had blown out of the dumpster. Please keep in mind it was 35 degrees and pouring down rain. It had been raining for five days straight. This should give you an example of the kind of company you are dealing with.

Please make some sort of an effort to know what is going on in your buildings. Please do not let your lower managers make decisions that are detrimental to the well being of your workers. Sending people out in the rain and cold to get soaking wet will surely cause some of them to be sick. Of course it's going to be the employees fault if they have to miss work and not the fault of management or the company right? The answer here should be: wrong!

Not The Ingram You Thought It Was

Current Employee - Manager  in  La Vergne, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in La Vergne, TN

I have been working at Ingram Book Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary option. Good insurance. Big, fast paced company. Nice working space usually. Appearance of employee importance.

Cons

Management is ruthless. If you aren't part of the inside "old boys" network you are not going to make it. HR is so entrenched in office politics that it has no vision of how to help employees.The company is very retail oriented and has no concept of long term investment in people and customer relationships - they only want immediate revenue opportunity regardless of the consequence. It is all about making the bottom line look good, and making the "numbers" work so executives get their bonuses. Employees are expected to work long hours without any thought of time off for it, while uppermost management lives the good life leaving promptly and arriving when they want. I've seen long term employees treated badly by managers like me. There is no "conscience" about how they treat employees. Everyone is a number without thought of how some people they routinely cut have contributed, for many years, to the bottom line. It is sad because the company has the potential to be great if only they would allow it to be.

Step back and take a long look at where you are headed. Retail is dying and you better move to keep up. The company keeps evaluating corporate culture when we all know no one really cares - it's all about dotting I's and crossing t's. Stop working so hard to make things look good on paper and just make things good.

A short-term place to work if you really need a paycheck

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  La Vergne, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Vergne, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Authors visit and discuss their books; usually can get a signed copy of the book for free. By far the best thing about the company.

There is a bonus, percentage depending on job level and company performance. Not guaranteed but normally given.

Cons

Management, especially upper management, is weak. Layoffs are a frequent risk, generally once per year at least. Company overall has shrunk year over year, due to the plateau/decline of printed books, with the advent of e-books. If you are looking for a dynamic and growing place to work, stay away. Employee morale is poor. Many employees are just hanging on and hoping they don't get laid off before they can retire.

Run it like a business, not just a revenue generator that must be constantly squeezed and downsized to maximize profit. Sometimes you have to spend money to make more.

Company is changing with the times and diversifying appropriately

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Ingram Book Group

Pros

Ingram has done a good job of changing business practices to meet the needs of the time. This has really helped keep the company strong and vital and a major competitive force. They offer great benefits.

Cons

There have been a number of layoffs, however these were designed to keep the company strong. The pay is lower than some similar companies.

No advice. Communication seems good and everyone is working hard to keep the company vital.

Worked for Ingram Book Group? Contribute to the Community!