Ingram Micro

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014

Ingram Micro CEO Alain Monie
Alain Monie

Pros
  • Decent work life balance, great place to learn the IT industry (in 22 reviews)

• Lots of energy, great people and a good place to learn, employees are appreciated (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 7 reviews)

• Seemed to be a disconnect between upper management and entry level employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Ingram is a great place to learn and adapt to transformations

Current Employee - IS Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - IS Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dynamic environment fulfilled with challenges and accomplishments. It's a great company to be part of.

Cons

Low margins lead to constant focus and priority on cost reduction which lead to some negative surprises with last minute "course corrections".

IS Top management must be stable and focused on long term achievements to avoid constant CIO switches and consequent reorganizations in the middle of important milestones achievements.

Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, office culture, environment of mutual respect, compensation and benefits

Cons

Frequent changes at upper management and executive levels breaks confidence in the state of the company

Such frequent management changes are not a good thing - try some stability, listen to your employees when new management comes in!

Love the people I work with, the managers aren't the best!

Current Employee - Channel Account Specialist II in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Channel Account Specialist II in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with they make the day fly by. The pay is good for the area. Allows you to have a work life balance.

Cons

The management team is not the best. They will tell you what you want to hear and will not have your back.

Listen to your employees and not get so defensive when they give you criticism. Follow through on the things you say you will do.

Resume builder

Current Employee - Executive Director in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great location, compensation is competitive for the area. Fast paced work environment with ample opportunity to gain valuable experience working with industry leaders on a global scale.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge. Company is focussed on operational efficiencies and lacks strategic vision and consistent global operating model.

Develop long term vision

Great company culture, environment, and benefits. Great place to start your career.

I have been working at Ingram Micro

Pros

I can't say for all the other department but in my department, everyone's very genuine and respectful. Working is enjoyable and interacting with colleagues is very comfortable. Benefits are good and policies are pretty lenient.

Cons

Depending on the department, you may not get too many "leads" on projects by your managers since there aren't too many you work with. So if the few managers you work right under are busy, it's vital you have a queue of work to do so you aren't twiddling your thumbs all day. Also, work and projects may be hard to finish without direct help from your superiors but this just means you have to be actively seeking for help.

The company's been getting bigger and bigger, with respect to the stock price and the market capitalization. I'm sure the management has a lot to do with it, but it's important to note again it's all the staffs, seniors, managers, and directors that contribute to the growth, not only the C-suite levels.

Waste of 2 years

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to OEM companies which can provide possible opportunities for a better work life!

Cons

In the group I was in, we were expected to be "available" to the job 24x7, regardless of family obligations, personal life needs, blizzards, etc. The IT infrastructure is a cluster (you know what!) with too many systems that can't communicate with each other which makes it extremely time consuming to produce all the reports required from sales reps. And be ready to drop everything to spend an entire day collecting data to generate a spontaneous report request from a middle or upper manager. Then you'll be criticized for having not spent time selling. Overall, 20% of my time was spent on actual sales-generating activities. The other 80% was dealing with internal report requests, pointless conference calls, training sessions that 50% of were a waste of my time, making excuses for why Ingram shipped incorrectly or didn't ship as promised, or a plethora of other operational mistakes largely due to the mess of an IT infrastructure or lack of accountability.

I spent more time going to Buffalo for mostly useless meetings, presentations etc than I was allowed to spend with my customers! Customers only bring revenue you know. Without exception, all my customers frequently commented that they wanted to see me more than once per quarter, but my manager wouldn't allow that. Tech Data filled the gap. Poor management by inexperienced or unqualified personnel costs sales. Too much time is spent on "reactive" rather than "proactive" activities.

Customer issues come out of sales commissions. Issues that occurred before I was even employed at Ingram were resolved by crediting the customer and taking money from my commissions. I'm not sure that's even legal, but it happened. Probably still does.

Cut the fat, refocus on the CUSTOMER, and deliver on promises made to those customers. Stop hiding behind the front line customer facing employees and take responsibility for your decisions, or lack thereof, or pay them at least market wages. Low pay, minimal benefits, and the expectation of front line employees to sacrifice their personal lives does not a good employer make. If they are forced to give up their vacation time, then watch a senior exec present his terrific, life enlightening trip to climb Kilimanjaro on a big screen, that doesn't inspire people, it depresses them. Be more nimble. Yes, Ingram is a large company but the competition is far more nimble, more creative, more friendly and they're taking your customers with ease. Managing by fear and intimidation doesn't work. Find out how to make employees feel better about their jobs, and you'll find they are much more creative than working under somebody's thumb.

Poor senior management

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable company, good benefits, there are a lot of contacts made on vendor side and internally. Lots of options after ingram

Cons

No strategy, upper management lacks sales knowledge, company let's vendors push them around, very political, no room to grow vertically.

Learn how to manage people not just vendors. Listen to your team and try setting some type of strategy.

Company Rating

I have been working at Ingram Micro (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, people are great.

Cons

Burn out easily, work long hours.

Focus on fixing issues rather than placing blame onto others.

Good job

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist I in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Ingram Micro (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people, decent hours, great benefits

Cons

Pay isn't competitive, but not terrible.

N/A

Good company, great opportunities

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Ingram Micro full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you work hard you can move up in the company.

Cons

Like in many companies its competitive which can cause cliques to form and to bump heads.

Appreciate your long tender associate they are the ones that helped build this company to become what it is today, instead of looking at new associate to take there positions for cheaper salaries.